2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

I just checked my OSU portal and my decision was posted. I got accepted!! Yay!! I am very excited about this but I am not sure if I should celebrate just yet based on what @jjiffysaid about the funding decision coming later on. If y'all haven't checked back your portal, I suggest you do it. Your decision might have been posted too. Good luck!!

2 minutes ago, catiecatie said:

Just found I was admitted by OSU. My portal was pending yesterday but changed to decision today. So you probably shouldn't lose hope you still have "pending".

Same. I had already given up. I don't even know why I decided to check it again. Glad I did lol.

4 minutes ago, scared_phd said:

I just checked my OSU portal and my decision was posted. I got accepted!! Yay!! I am very excited about this but I am not sure if I should celebrate just yet based on what @jjiffysaid about the funding decision coming later on. If y'all haven't checked back your portal, I suggest you do it. Your decision might have been posted too. Good luck!!

1st: congrats! Being accepted is great and you should be happy about that.

2nd: yeah funding is still not a given right now so don’t pop the champagne lol. But even if you got this far, it means you are a very strong candidate from among the general pool.

4 minutes ago, jjiffy said:

1st: congrats! Being accepted is great and you should be happy about that.

2nd: yeah funding is still not a given right now so don’t pop the champagne lol. But even if you got this far, it means you are a very strong candidate from among the general pool.

Thank you! I am so happy. 

Such a bummer I can't open the champagne yet; had one ready for this occasion lol jk jk. Do you know when the funding decision is going to be communicated? I think you mentioned this before but I forgot. 

12 minutes ago, scared_phd said:

Congrats!

Guess for this process you need several small champaign bottles in the fridge to enjoy every step of it. ?

5 minutes ago, scared_phd said:

Thank you! I am so happy. 

Such a bummer I can't open the champagne yet; had one ready for this occasion lol jk jk. Do you know when the funding decision is going to be communicated? I think you mentioned this before but I forgot. 

My official letter came about a week after the portal status was changed, and then the funding info was Feb 22. It has to go through a uni-wide funding competition first.

Edited by jjiffy

Guys - has anyone of you one of the following in their list and heard anything back yet? 

ASU; UT Austin; UT Dallas; UNT; UI Bloomington; UG Athens; Emory; USF Tampa; FSU Tallahassee

Still nothing here - but I'm not even sure I have all the right portals to look at. Just discovered that Dallas has a different website where they show the results from where you actually apply. 

30 minutes ago, smallcrown said:

Guys - has anyone of you one of the following in their list and heard anything back yet? 

ASU; UT Austin; UT Dallas; UNT; UI Bloomington; UG Athens; Emory; USF Tampa; FSU Tallahassee

Still nothing here - but I'm not even sure I have all the right portals to look at. Just discovered that Dallas has a different website where they show the results from where you actually apply. 

Hi I was admitted to ASU, UGA, and FSU last cycle if you have any questions regarding how the process went last year. 

CONGRATS TO ALL WHO HAVE RECENTLY RECEIVED GOOD NEWS! I hope it won't be too long before the rest of us can celebrate with you! 

With that said, has anyone heard back from any of these programs? 

UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, USC, UC Davis, Boston College, Boston University, University of Michigan, Michigan State, University of Florida, University of South Florida, University of Maryland - College Park, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

I assume not because no one has posted about them yet, but it doesn't hurt to ask. ?

Here's to another week of anxious waiting. 

59 minutes ago, DanTheGrad said:

CONGRATS TO ALL WHO HAVE RECENTLY RECEIVED GOOD NEWS! I hope it won't be too long before the rest of us can celebrate with you! 

With that said, has anyone heard back from any of these programs? 

UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, USC, UC Davis, Boston College, Boston University, University of Michigan, Michigan State, University of Florida, University of South Florida, University of Maryland - College Park, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

I assume not because no one has posted about them yet, but it doesn't hurt to ask. ?

Here's to another week of anxious waiting. 

For the University of Maryland, January 20 was the deadline for applications. So it will take a considerable amount of time compared to other universities until the results come out.

I am an international student. I applied to 20 schools this year because I expected competition to be as fierce as last year, but no interview requests have been made yet. So I'm very anxious and full of worries right now. None of the schools I applied for have released results yet, but I don't know how to control my own mind.

14 minutes ago, IAMK said:

I am an international student. I applied to 20 schools this year because I expected competition to be as fierce as last year, but no interview requests have been made yet. So I'm very anxious and full of worries right now. None of the schools I applied for have released results yet, but I don't know how to control my own mind.

I wouldn't put too much stake on interview invites and all that. Different schools do things differently. Some schools might decide to invite you and reject you at the end and some might not interview you and end up accepting you. The process is not definite so I wouldn't let that worry me a lot. 

With regards to not hearing back from the schools, worrying about it just makes you uneasy and doesn't help you in any way. I was worried that my OSU portal said pending throughout the 20th when decisions are supposedly posted and that concerned me a lot and I wasn't productive for much of that day and today. I had already decided all by myself that OSU is a lost cause and moved on. A day later, I get my acceptance so I worried that much for nothing while I could have had a productive day. My advice is until you hear back from the schools on the final decisions, don't let claimed interviews, late status updates and so on affect you too much. 

24 minutes ago, scared_phd said:

I wouldn't put too much stake on interview invites and all that. Different schools do things differently. Some schools might decide to invite you and reject you at the end and some might not interview you and end up accepting you. The process is not definite so I wouldn't let that worry me a lot. 

With regards to not hearing back from the schools, worrying about it just makes you uneasy and doesn't help you in any way. I was worried that my OSU portal said pending throughout the 20th when decisions are supposedly posted and that concerned me a lot and I wasn't productive for much of that day and today. I had already decided all by myself that OSU is a lost cause and moved on. A day later, I get my acceptance so I worried that much for nothing while I could have had a productive day. My advice is until you hear back from the schools on the final decisions, don't let claimed interviews, late status updates and so on affect you too much. 

Thank you!! I received a lot of comfort from your advice. As you said, I will wait calmly until the results come out.

Does anybody find it strange?

There was no spike in # of apps for Duke: https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/statistics/political-science-phd-admissions-and-enrollment-statistics

But doubled for

Michigan: https://tableau.dsc.umich.edu/t/UM-Public/views/RackhamDoctoralProgramStatistics/ProgramStatistics?:embed=y&:showAppBanner=false&:showShareOptions=true&:display_count=no&:showVizHome=no&FOSDParameter=All+Rackham

UCSD: https://ir.ucsd.edu/grad/stats/admissions.html

MIT: https://ir.mit.edu/graduate-education-statistics

etc.

But only for polisci, none of others such as sociology or engineering had spikes. What's wrong with Duke and polisci? only polisci GRE optional? 

15 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

Does anybody find it strange?

There was no spike in # of apps for Duke: https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/statistics/political-science-phd-admissions-and-enrollment-statistics

But doubled for

Michigan: https://tableau.dsc.umich.edu/t/UM-Public/views/RackhamDoctoralProgramStatistics/ProgramStatistics?:embed=y&:showAppBanner=false&:showShareOptions=true&:display_count=no&:showVizHome=no&FOSDParameter=All+Rackham

UCSD: https://ir.ucsd.edu/grad/stats/admissions.html

MIT: https://ir.mit.edu/graduate-education-statistics

etc.

But only for polisci, none of others such as sociology or engineering had spikes. What's wrong with Duke and polisci? only polisci GRE optional? 

Did Duke require GRE for their last cycle? If so, I would agree that maybe GRE being optional played a role in the increased number of applicants...

9 hours ago, ballofstress said:

Hi I was admitted to ASU, UGA, and FSU last cycle if you have any questions regarding how the process went last year. 

YES! Thanks for your reply! I have all the questions. Do you remember the dates when they sent out acceptance emails last year? Did they send them at all or did you login to the websites daily to check there? Did they ask for interviews or just accept you without any more talk?

7 hours ago, scared_phd said:

Worry is misuse of imagination. 

You're so right. But it's not super easy to stay all calm and productive when you're waiting for a decision that changes your life for (at least) the next 5 years significantly. 

Got an acceptance from Temple University (PhD), but waitlisted for funding. To be honest I feel more dejected than happy, since without funding, I have no means to attend it. The wording of the email seemed like getting funding ultimately would be a bit of a long shot, but let's see how it goes. 

8 hours ago, smallcrown said:

YES! Thanks for your reply! I have all the questions. Do you remember the dates when they sent out acceptance emails last year? Did they send them at all or did you login to the websites daily to check there? Did they ask for interviews or just accept you without any more talk?

So for Georgia the DGS called me mid-January and told me I was accepted. I was prepared for an interview, but it was just a friendly call. They were also really competitive with funding (I was between two programs, and they definitely did their best to sweeten the deal). There was no interview. They also flew me out for a visit day. 

For ASU there was no interview. The acceptance came through on the portal first (I believe). I also got an email quickly after. I received it 2/15. 

For FSU I simply got an email. There was also no interview there. I was accepted on 2/11. 

1 minute ago, scared_phd said:

What's the deal with Emory? In previous years, decisions were posted around Jan 20. 

According to the app, they posted them on the Monday or Thuesday of the last week of the month (in the last 2 years). Should be next week then. 

43 minutes ago, ballofstress said:

So for Georgia the DGS called me mid-January and told me I was accepted. I was prepared for an interview, but it was just a friendly call. They were also really competitive with funding (I was between two programs, and they definitely did their best to sweeten the deal). There was no interview. They also flew me out for a visit day. 

For ASU there was no interview. The acceptance came through on the portal first (I believe). I also got an email quickly after. I received it 2/15. 

For FSU I simply got an email. There was also no interview there. I was accepted on 2/11. 

Thank you very much for the info. That worries me a bit now since mid-January is kinda over by now and I haven't gotten a call from Georgia. Might be because I'm in Germany and they can't call abroad? Or they are just later this year...

ASU and FSU sound like I still have some patience to gather. 

Thank you!

3 hours ago, smallcrown said:

Thank you very much for the info. That worries me a bit now since mid-January is kinda over by now and I haven't gotten a call from Georgia. Might be because I'm in Germany and they can't call abroad? Or they are just later this year...

ASU and FSU sound like I still have some patience to gather. 

Thank you!

That is just a super rough estimate for Georgia. It may have been early February; I don't completely remember. 

13 hours ago, ballofstress said:

That is just a super rough estimate for Georgia. It may have been early February; I don't completely remember. 

Fair enough.

If you don't mind me asking - What made you decide to take the accelerated Masters over the PhD in Georgia?