SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2022-2023

Mrazy

Just now, msfinley said:

Okay it’s reassuring emails are still going out! My husband and I are sitting here trying to make sense of how these are being sent out lol. Institution alphabetically maybe? Year of birth? Letter of first name?

Not sure about institution. I am taking mine to Estonia, so it is might just be a random draw.

Hi there, I was unfunded but the first person shortlisted on committee 6. Score was 4.92 and the last funded score was 4.93. I ranked 23 and 22/79 were funded.

Weirdly, I scored lower this year than last year (this is my second attempt), when I scored 5.03 but applied to a more competitive committee (committee 3).

Does anyone know what happens if funded offers are declined? Do people further down the list get offers or are the funds just reabsorbed by SSHRC? I just e-mailed them with this question.

My other broader job market question is how the SSHRC postdoc process compares to applying to postdocs at institutions. I have the impression SSHRC is a particular opportunity (you need to propose an entirely new project or research distinct from your dissertation and you're reviewed by a multi-disciplinary committee including people who may not be knowledgeable in your areas of research). I was not on the job market this year besides throwing my hat in the ring with SSHRC. So I am looking ahead at applying for postdocs and maybe TT (if something obviously fits) next cycle.

Edited by ltam

11 hours ago, Beals said:

I got my results (got an email with my extranet account link + a message saying the results were up). It took several minutes of resetting passwords and error messages but - I got it!

I was in committee 3. I ranked 9/90 and my score was 5.13/6.

The letter says the last funded score is 4.84/6, and that overall in the competition 28% of applicants were offered a fellowship (much higher than previous years!).

Good luck to everyone else! As for me - I'm still shaking and cannot believe it!!!

Edit: forgot to mention - my letters were uploaded on Feb 24 so they really have been sitting on this.

Congratulations!! I'm also Committee 3, so I hope to make it, too. Thanks very much for these details about the scores from your letter.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for providing a community during one of the most stressful two-week periods I can remember. I was lucky to have been one of those in the Committee 2B (History etc.) pool who received an offer. There were 19 offers out of 68 with the last funded score at 4.85.

Congratulations to everyone who received an offer, and my best wishes to those who didn't make it this time. What a torturous system they put us through, all for a chance at such a paltry reward!

I got my results and went from being ranked around the middle last year to fairly close to the end. I didn't change much, and I thought I'd have a better shot this year since they asked us to talk about the importance of three of our publications and I had more research experience outside the university, but otherwise my profile was identical. I guess it just goes to show how random everything here is, or maybe there was a red flag in my application lol

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else know that they post the selection committee members? I didn't know this beforehand, and I'm wondering if they only release the information after the competition is over, since surely if we all knew who was the committees we wouldn't be able to resist pandering to the relevant committee members in our proposals?

https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/merit_review-evaluation_du_merite/selection_committees-comites_selection/index-eng.aspx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind me posting here. I am a final year PhD student gearing up to apply to the SSHRC post-doc this September. I have a few questions regarding a post-doc position and the application process, if you wouldn't mind sharing some thoughts!

A bit of background: I am very interested in one specific PI and have reached out to him to express interest. He said that because I don't have experience in the methodology he primarily uses in his lab, he cannot fund me from his grant, but would be happy to host me and work with me on a funding proposal that is more in line with my experience. My questions:

- Would it be crazy if I asked him if I could work with ongoing projects in his lab to gain experience in this methodology first? It's the kind I want to build my future career on and is the reason I am doing a post-doc at all. Then, in my second year, I could do a project as the first author. Is this okay or are we expected to be first-author on our projects in a post-doc?

- Another issue is that I am not able to move to this city to do the post-doc (for familial reasons). How crazy would it be if I asked him the above -- esp for the first year, since I will only be helping out? For the second year, I can find a co-supervisor here along with a site to run my research at. Any thoughts on this way of doing it?

The thing is -- I really connect with this PIs research and I desperately want to learn from it/him. I am hindered by my lack of experience in that methodology and my inability to move. But I am trying to make it work somehow. Any thoughts? :)

Thanks so much!

• 2 months later...

Working on an application for postdoc SSHRC 2023-24.

Would any of you who were successful last year be willing to share your Program of Work with me?

I'm very interested to see what a successful package looks like. My application will be judged by Committee 2 (classics, history, philosophy, etc.)

• 1 year later...
On 3/3/2022 at 10:15 PM, ltam said:

Hi there, I was unfunded but the first person shortlisted on committee 6. Score was 4.92 and the last funded score was 4.93. I ranked 23 and 22/79 were funded.

Weirdly, I scored lower this year than last year (this is my second attempt), when I scored 5.03 but applied to a more competitive committee (committee 3).

Does anyone know what happens if funded offers are declined? Do people further down the list get offers or are the funds just reabsorbed by SSHRC? I just e-mailed them with this question.

My other broader job market question is how the SSHRC postdoc process compares to applying to postdocs at institutions. I have the impression SSHRC is a particular opportunity (you need to propose an entirely new project or research distinct from your dissertation and you're reviewed by a multi-disciplinary committee including people who may not be knowledgeable in your areas of research). I was not on the job market this year besides throwing my hat in the ring with SSHRC. So I am looking ahead at applying for postdocs and maybe TT (if something obviously fits) next cycle.

Hello Itam! Did you end up getting an alternate award?