Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

On 12/23/2021 at 11:32 PM, rainbowsprimkle said:

I applied to Sinai as well and haven’t heard anything. I’m confused as to what’s taking them so long because their admissions is rolling and I remember their application portal stating that review would begin in September?? 

Have you heard anything from them? I attended an open house and asked if they would be reviewing on a rolling basis and if I remember correctly, they said they reviewed all applications in December. 

7 minutes ago, 123cheese said:

Have you heard anything from them? I attended an open house and asked if they would be reviewing on a rolling basis and if I remember correctly, they said they reviewed all applications in December. 

I still haven’t heard from them or any of the other programs I applied to ?? 

Has anyone heard from MIT Biology, BU PIBS, Stanford Cancer Biology, UPenn Cell and Molecular Biology, "Tufts Cell Molecular, and Developmental Biology" , Yale BBS, Cornell BCMB Allied program, and USC PIBBS, and Albert Einstein Biomedical Science? I applied really close to the deadlines, and wasn't sure if they have read all the applications already.

On 12/29/2021 at 4:34 PM, Mola mola said:

Hi All, does anyone know if Princeton Molecular Biology or JHU CMDB has sent out all interview invitations? Happy New Year!

I received a call from Princeton MolBio on December 22nd offering me an interview in either January or February. I was under the impression that they wanted to know very soon (within the week) which date we wanted. We were also instructed to send the coordinator a list of faculty we would like to meet by December 27th. This suggests to me that they may have sent them all out?

Last year Sinai sent out interview invites on January 8th. I'm sure they're waiting to see if it'll be in person before sending them. They said all the actual interviews will be over zoom this year to keep things even but they were going to fly everybody that can go, to the campus. This was before Omicron though. 

On 12/21/2021 at 6:04 PM, sarscov3 said:

lol could you elaborate on this? UCSD seems cool and I'm interviewing with them in Feb. What didn't you like about it? Genuinely curious-- I don't know anyone who has gone there, so I would love info from someone who went there for undergrad, though I assume it might be slightly different from the grad school. 

-

Applied (9): UNC Chapel Hill BBSP, Duke UPGG, UPenn CAMB, Columbia CMBS, Mt. Sinai Biomedical Sciences, Rockefeller, UCSD BMS, UC Berkeley MCB, UWashington MCB

Interviews (6): UNC BBSP (12/4), Duke UPGG (12/8), UPenn CAMB (12/14), UC Berkeley MCB (12/16), UCSD BMS (12/17), Columbia CMBS (12/20)

Rejected: -

Accepted: -

I attended UCSD and UCLA for undergrad, and UCI and UCSD for grad. UCSD is definitely the toughest of those schools. The entire school is centered around an 8 story library where people literally spend days at a time studying. You won't find parties like at UCLA or a super chill atmosphere like at UCI, but if you want to focus on your research for 5 years it's great for that. The library has a cafe inside and treadmills so you don't get blood clots while you study everyday for hours. Their scientists are involved with major research and they've been a huge part of the covid effort. You have The Salk, Scripps, The La Jolla Institute of Immunology, Sanford Burnham, Sanford Consortium, all granting PhDs through UCSD so there is a large emphasis on research. 

On 12/30/2021 at 9:49 AM, NBUIC said:

I have not received any updates on any of my applications. I wonder if they all are silent rejections or just not updated yet? Please help me by offering me kind words and support… or you can just tell me what do you really think. Thank you! 

It is ok, it is really really competitive this year. I don't know what institutions you have applied but I think no news is not equal to bad news. Some institutions will release the invites at the early of Jan so you still get a chance! Also, I know  the PhD program in Toronto is still open, you can go there to find sth out and maybe you will get some interested faculty. You still have time! And don't loose hope. My target track is immuno and I was rej by tons of my favourite programs at the middle of Dec including Yale and WUSTL. I was devastated at that time but my professor told me, life is diversity and includes millions of possibilities. His words cheered me up. Hope that will help you, too! Happy new year!

@Immunogenic how was your experience at UCI? 
I applied to the CMB program and got an interview invite! I attended the virtual fair they hosted and it seemed like they care about students overall. Would love to have your insight!

Just to confirm with y’all who applied for Harvard BBS. Dr. Van Vacto replied an email telling me this year they have received the largest amount of apps in their history and all invitations were sent out already. 

My first rejection but I am still hopeful yo other programs. Do you think is wise to email another program directors at this time to ask?

The people that run the PhD program at UCI are great and really supportive. The school itself is the complete opposite of UCSD. The campus is always calm and quiet and most people just go to it from 9-5. Everything is designed around a loop including the library so there's no large crowds anywhere and I go to my lab without seeing or speaking to another person for days at a time. If you're looking for a calm, chill, PhD program where can just go in and do your work and still have a life outside of grad school for 5 years, UCI is great for that. 

8 hours ago, TangentTam said:

It is ok, it is really really competitive this year. I don't know what institutions you have applied but I think no news is not equal to bad news. Some institutions will release the invites at the early of Jan so you still get a chance! Also, I know  the PhD program in Toronto is still open, you can go there to find sth out and maybe you will get some interested faculty. You still have time! And don't loose hope. My target track is immuno and I was rej by tons of my favourite programs at the middle of Dec including Yale and WUSTL. I was devastated at that time but my professor told me, life is diversity and includes millions of possibilities. His words cheered me up. Hope that will help you, too! Happy new year!

Thank you so much for cheering me up! You are very sweet! Don’t worry about not getting into some schools… it’s not the reputation of a school that makes a grad student strong, it’s the research and the quality at which you conduct it that gives you the reputation as a capable scientist that employers are after. ???

10 hours ago, azmolbio said:

I received a call from Princeton MolBio on December 22nd offering me an interview in either January or February. I was under the impression that they wanted to know very soon (within the week) which date we wanted. We were also instructed to send the coordinator a list of faculty we would like to meet by December 27th. This suggests to me that they may have sent them all out?

Thank you! This is really helpful. It seems they may have sent all invitations. I was curious because there is only one update on the result page this year. In the past years, there are many. Also I'm an international student, so also wondering maybe they are sending the invitations in different batches. 

Hello Happy new year! I applied to 11 programs and I have got offers for interviews at 6. UVA-Biomedical umbrella, UPitt Microbiology/ immunology, Penn State Microbiology, Emory Immunology, Rutgers Biomedical (safety school) and lastly Harvard Virology. All interviews are virtual so far

I haven’t heard from UPenn, Hopkins (I applied to 3 programs there), Brown and the University of Maryland another safety school. Oh I forgot UNC I haven’t heard from them either 

as far as stats not so great gpa in undergrad 3.3 or master’s 3.5 but I wrote a wonderful personal statement and I have really strong letters of recommendation because I have lots of research experience as a thesis track masters student 

Hi all! I am kinda late to this forum but I have been reading through and am starting to feel like I may have been silently rejected from all of the schools I applied to. I applied to UMass Chan, UConn, Boston University PiBS, and Dartmouth MCB. - haven't heard back from any. I don't have a masters degree but I just graduated with my BS and a 3.7 GPA and I now work at a research hospital. Would people recommend trying to get a Masters degree before applying to programs again? ?

1 hour ago, biomedtrack112 said:

Hi all! I am kinda late to this forum but I have been reading through and am starting to feel like I may have been silently rejected from all of the schools I applied to. I applied to UMass Chan, UConn, Boston University PiBS, and Dartmouth MCB. - haven't heard back from any. I don't have a masters degree but I just graduated with my BS and a 3.7 GPA and I now work at a research hospital. Would people recommend trying to get a Masters degree before applying to programs again? ?

I also applied to UConn and haven't heard anything. I think they normally don't start sending anything out until January.