Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

On 12/31/2021 at 10:06 AM, _epigeneticsstudent said:

Has anyone heard from MIT Biology, BU PIBS, Stanford Cancer Biology, UPenn Cell and Molecular Biology, "Tufts Cell Molecular, and Developmental Biology" , Yale BBS, Cornell BCMB Allied program, and USC PIBBS, and Albert Einstein Biomedical Science? I applied really close to the deadlines, and wasn't sure if they have read all the applications already.

Fellow USC PIBBS applier here. Haven't heard from them. Applied to USC a two weeks before the deadline and then scrambled in a revised personal statement on Dec 14th. 

11 hours ago, biomedtrack112 said:

Hi all! I am kinda late to this forum but I have been reading through and am starting to feel like I may have been silently rejected from all of the schools I applied to. I applied to UMass Chan, UConn, Boston University PiBS, and Dartmouth MCB. - haven't heard back from any. I don't have a masters degree but I just graduated with my BS and a 3.7 GPA and I now work at a research hospital. Would people recommend trying to get a Masters degree before applying to programs again? ?

Regarding BU, this is the last update I received from the program director last week: 

"We would like to update our applicants on the status of their applications to the Program in Biomedical Science (PiBS) here at Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM).  We have received a record number of applications again this year and we are currently in the process of vetting them.  This will take us some time, so please be patient.  We expect to make some interview invitations before the holiday break, but we will not have gotten through all the applications by then and we will be sending additional invitations in January.
Our interviews this year will be online-only in order comply will COVID-19 protocols.  However, we are trying to emulate our regular interview days.  Thus, we will be having three interview days, Friday, January 14, Monday, January 24th, and Friday, February 11th. 

While the exact schedules have not been finalized, these will be full day events.  If you are invited to interview, there will be a chance for you to meet our current students, interview with faculty members, and participate in a program overview with a question-and-answer period.  There will be some presentations and we will address such topics as curriculum and diversity within PiBS, BUSM and Boston University and there will be information on housing and student life.  We are hoping to make each interview day as interactive as possible.

Thanks again for applying to the PiBS program."

Hi All! Since many of us may have interviews coming up, I thought it'd be helpful to share tips or experiences. Like what questions to be prepared for or anything else. I've heard that you're most likely to be asked about your research experience at broad. I'm sure its different from school to school and program to program, but any other thoughts?

Has anyone heard from UT Southwestern yet?  My last LoR was sent in on 22 November 2021, but I have not had any correspondence regarding my status since the automated application submission email.

1 hour ago, jmb9517 said:

Has anyone heard from UT Southwestern yet?  My last LoR was sent in on 22 November 2021, but I have not had any correspondence regarding my status since the automated application submission email.

I haven't heard back from them yet either but their website mentions that they send out invitations four to eight weeks after the application deadline. So we should be hearing back by the end of next month!

I have a question. Is it common that in your updated decision for phd, the schools rejects you but offer you a master degree instead? I received an email being rejected but admissions head told me to switch to masters with no cost and contact them as soon as possible to be considered for a competitive scholarship. 

Edited by Arandavia

1 hour ago, Arandavia said:

I have a question. Is it common that in your updated decision for phd, the schools rejects you but offer you a master degree instead? I received an email being rejected but admissions head told me to switch to masters with no cost and contact them as soon as possible to be considered for a competitive scholarship. 

Yes, it is possible and after finishing theMS they will transfer you to the PhD if you are in good standing. 

10 hours ago, lna23 said:

Hi, question for anyone interviewing for Weill Cornell BCMB Allied Program - have you received follow up info yet? becoming paranoid I filled out the form wrong lol

I only got the email which told me to sign into Canvas, then got invited into an "interviewee portal". But found nothing relate to interview date ....

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone who applied to MCO at Harvard has heard back? I know a lot of the other biology programs like BBS have sent interviews so I'm expecting a silent rejection at this point, but I haven't seen anyone mention hearing from them anywhere. It's the only program I haven't heard from yet at this point so I've just been waiting for a response from them for a while haha.

14 hours ago, lna23 said:

Hi, question for anyone interviewing for Weill Cornell BCMB Allied Program - have you received follow up info yet? becoming paranoid I filled out the form wrong lol

I applied for Weill Cornell BCMB Allied Program too. But I have not received any updated information. ?

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well. New here. I have been lurking for some time, and wanted to ask. Has anyone heard from JHU CMM? I saw a post on Reddit from someone  saying that they received an interview invite from JHU CMM on December 16th, and was wondering if anyone here who applied to JHU CMM  has also received an interview.

15 hours ago, lowkey_surviver said:

anyone who received an interview invite from UVA BIMS, did they send you a tentative interview schedule?

In the email with the interview invitation they wrote out the general structure/times of how the interview days will be set up, but I have not received anything else yet.

34 minutes ago, Yin Lee said:

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well. New here. I have been lurking for some time, and wanted to ask. Has anyone heard from JHU CMM? I saw a post on Reddit from someone  saying that they received an interview invite from JHU CMM on December 16th, and was wondering if anyone here who applied to JHU CMM  has also received an interview.

Nope. Still waiting. Emailed a couple of times but to no response. It is unlikely that they sent interviews earlier than dec 20. But not sure though. Usually they send it just before holidays.

Edited by QWERTYMNB97

5 minutes ago, QWERTYMNB97 said:

Nope. Still waiting. Emailed a couple of times but to no response. It is unlikely that they sent interviews earlier than dec 20. But not sure though. Usually they send it just before holidays.

Thank you for your reply. I was also thinking that it was too early for them to have sent an invite since their application was not due until Dec 8th, but you never know. I just emailed them too, so if I hear anything I will post it here.

Wishing you lots of interviews and acceptances!

On 12/27/2021 at 11:58 AM, Hostmicrobe said:

Hi all,

I have been refreshing this page every hour for the last 1 month and would like to update my stats.

International student with a US Masters degree, worked for 2 years in a research lab in academia, then another 1.5 years in a small R and D company. 1 review paper (co-first author), 1 research paper (middle author) published, 1 research paper (second author) in revision. 3 strong LORs; two from academic lab, 1 from industry. 

Applied (9 schools): UNC BBSP, Vanderbilt IGP, UPenn BGS CAMB, Duke MGM, Emory MMG, UVA BIMS, UMD MOCB, UW-Madison MDTP, Cornell Microbiology

Interview (5 schools): Emory MMG (in-person), UVA BIMS (virtual), UMD MOCB (virtual prelim 30-min), UW-Madison MDTP (virtual followed by visit), Cornell Microbiology (virtual)

Rejects: None till now

Fingers crossed for the other 4 schools. Good luck and Happy holidays to you all!

Duke MGM is doing their first round of interviews Jan 13-14 (insider info). I don't know about the next set. Good luck!