Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

On 1/5/2022 at 2:35 PM, Starfleet Scientist said:

Out of curiosity, of these two institutions, which one are you leaning toward as your favorite and why?

I think that's a very personal preference. I am ready to move to a big city with better food scenes, public transit, more cultural events to keep my mental health, especially in COVID. I got my masters from WashU and been working at WUSM since, I have met some amazing, amazing people and also worked in semi toxic environment, that's probably the case everywhere. 

Rutgers has multiple campuses. I applied to the New Brunswick campus’ Molecular Bioscience program and it had Dec 1 deadline. 

6 hours ago, Cherryblue001 said:

Rutgers multidisciplinary biomedical phd final deadline isn’t till Feb 1st and UNT is the university of North Texas

the comment above mentions multidisciplinary biomedical PhD program which is offered in the Newark campus and had Jan 4 as deadline. 

18 hours ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

I could not speak for Mt Sinai. I applied for NYU Vilcek open program, three rotations & choosing tracks end of year 1.  My statement is very targeted on that specific track. Based on convo with a current student (same track group, different track) and some prospective students (different track groups), different track groups do interviews on complete different days (different months). For the track group I choose, very occasionally students choose different tracks than what they proposed when applying. I also applied to WUSTL DBBS umbrella program which claims students can change program freeishly after 1 year as long as in good standing, both me and my friend got an interview for different sub-programs but again completely different admin and everything. I somehow feel that the open program is a trick - basically you can do whatever you'd like once you get in, but before you get in, let's see if you have focused interests. Maybe this is only my perception, because my research interests are in a very peripheral area of biomedical sciences. There is literally no other tracks other than the one I chose that is possible for me to be in. I am curious to hear from other's experiences. 

That's super interesting. My research was in biophysics, but I wrote my statements pivoting towards interests like virology, microbiology etc because I want to move away from biophysics and towards cell/molecular biology. I think my statements might be weak for that reason, but I really didn't want to write a statement about a subject I no longer want to pursue. 

3 hours ago, Nata20 said:

Also, has anyone heard from Mayo MPET (Rochester campus)?

I applied to the Arizona campus and received an interview invite for Mayo's MPET on December 22nd. The interview is Feb 9-11th. They didn't explicitly say this would be the only weekend but I also didn't have a choice between different days. 

1 hour ago, Pharmchementhu said:

Anyone here applied to UoArizona ABBS?

I did! I received an invitation to interview 12/13 and they are having in-person interviews next weekend and 2/17-2/19. Maybe reach out to S.F. to see if all invitations have been sent or if they are doing them in batches?

1 hour ago, Pharmchementhu said:

Anyone here applied to UoArizona ABBS?

I did! I received an invitation to interview 12/13 and they are having in-person interviews next weekend and 2/17-2/19. Maybe reach out to S.F. to see if all invitations have been sent or if they are doing them in batches?

Hi all,

Just found this forum and wanted to join in while we all wait anxiously! Below are the schools I have applied to and the current status:

Applied: UCLA (Bioscience), UCI (CMB), Stanford, and USC (PIBBS)

Interview: UCLA, UCI, USC

Still waiting to hear from Stanford since they mentioned invites should be coming this week.

15 minutes ago, ImmunoCat said:

Hi all,

Just found this forum and wanted to join in while we all wait anxiously! Below are the schools I have applied to and the current status:

Applied: UCLA (Bioscience), UCI (CMB), Stanford, and USC (PIBBS)

Interview: UCLA, UCI, USC

Still waiting to hear from Stanford since they mentioned invites should be coming this week.

Hi, would you mind sharing which home program within UCLA biosciences did you apply? Thanks! 

Just now, ImmunoCat said:

Hi, I applied to the Immunity, Microbes, and Molecular Pathogenesis (IMMP) home program. Did you also apply to UCLA?

Thank you! Yea I applied to Cancer Biology home program, and UCI CMB cancer bio, still nothing:(

1 minute ago, WAF1 said:

Thank you! Yea I applied to Cancer Biology home program, and UCI CMB cancer bio, still nothing:(

Hmm maybe the different home programs send out the invites at different times. From what I've read it seems to vary a lot from program to program! Best of luck to you!

1 minute ago, ImmunoCat said:

Hmm maybe the different home programs send out the invites at different times. From what I've read it seems to vary a lot from program to program! Best of luck to you!

That's true, just waiting for now and hoping for the best. Congrats on the invites and best of luck!