2022 Applicants

Can anyone claim the UC Berkeley acceptance on the board? I'm really curious as to how they're doing things this year... They rejected a handful, and now today one person has been accepted but it seems all else is quiet? Just wondering if this is one of those slow-moving, nonsensical scenarios where they weed through apps at their own pace and maybe don't accept everyone at the same time? (Can you tell I'm trying to rationalize the very small chance that I may still be accepted, because this is my top choice and I'd do almost anything to get in? Ha)

*FWIW: I'm fully expecting a reject because I went there for undergrad and my chances are laughably slim. 

18 hours ago, Shake829 said:

No acceptance in hand as of yet, though I am hopeful that something will come! Manifest what you want and keep positive thoughts. I’m sure you’ll be posting an acceptance to this forum in no time :)

No, every evening I just worry about CUNY acceptances going up and ruining my evening. I don't know why they can't release things at once. I am not positive at all because my field is comics and most departments don't 'embrace' the topic readily unless my application is top-notch, which it is not... The question of fit doesn't arise (already at a disadvantage)and in terms of quality I have messed that up myself. And my application is pretty average and both my ws and sop have several typos that I missed while reading back then but which stare back at me like flies on food. 

12 hours ago, Shake829 said:

Wow! You’ve gotten interest from brown, cornell, and Columbia? Please share your wisdom with the less fortunate ?. In all seriousness, though, congratulations—sounds like your application is top notch. Best of luck to you!!

Haha yes! It's phenomenal indeed! 

3 hours ago, why_tho said:

Hello there, congratulations! From Brown, did you receive an email from the DGS/ POI? Also, if you don't mind sharing, what is your area of research? Best wishes, everyone! 

remind me what does POI stand for? i received a very standard (automated?) email that was from the dean of the graduate school. research area is contemporary poetry + diaspora literature. 

22 minutes ago, PlacingJane1994 said:

Can anyone claim the UC Berkeley acceptance on the board? I'm really curious as to how they're doing things this year... They rejected a handful, and now today one person has been accepted but it seems all else is quiet? Just wondering if this is one of those slow-moving, nonsensical scenarios where they weed through apps at their own pace and maybe don't accept everyone at the same time? (Can you tell I'm trying to rationalize the very small chance that I may still be accepted, because this is my top choice and I'd do almost anything to get in? Ha)

*FWIW: I'm fully expecting a reject because I went there for undergrad and my chances are laughably slim. 

where/when did they reject people, if you dont mind me asking?

35 minutes ago, phdapplicant321 said:

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?program=English

That's where I'm looking - I saw a rejection a couple of weeks ago, and this morning there was one acceptance. Super happy for whoever got it - it's an incredible department and Kent Puckett is one of the kindest human beings on the planet. Just curious about their process!! 

1 hour ago, PlacingJane1994 said:

It was me! I have been lurking but created a profile to respond. They get us all in the end :)

Just now, Schrödingers Labradoodle said:

It was me! I have been lurking but created a profile to respond. They get us all in the end :)

Hahaha, yes they do... I've definitely been held hostage by this forum more times in the last month than I care to admit. So awesome!! Would you mind sharing some of your stats / your focus / who you had hoped to work with in the department? Trying to gauge my own compatibility with those accepted... Hahaha 

2 minutes ago, PlacingJane1994 said:

Hahaha, yes they do... I've definitely been held hostage by this forum more times in the last month than I care to admit. So awesome!! Would you mind sharing some of your stats / your focus / who you had hoped to work with in the department? Trying to gauge my own compatibility with those accepted... Hahaha 

Sure, I will offer what I can while attempting to remain anonymous. 4.0 GPA from highly ranked LAC, a couple of peer-reviewed publications, undergrad only (no masters), 18th and 19thC BritLit focus. 

23 minutes ago, Schrödingers Labradoodle said:

Sure, I will offer what I can while attempting to remain anonymous. 4.0 GPA from highly ranked LAC, a couple of peer-reviewed publications, undergrad only (no masters), 18th and 19thC BritLit focus. 

Ah, yes, this is helpful. And also kind of what I feared. Haha. I was hoping to focus on 19thc BritLit as well, and I doubt they're going to take a whole handful of us. If you end up working with Kent Puckett at all, soak it up. He's awesome and really supportive! Best of luck and thanks for sharing. ❤️ 

1 hour ago, OperaGhost said:

Man these UT Austin acceptances/ waitlists results have me stressin... I had a feeling I wouldn't get in here, so a definitive reject to rip off the bandaid would be just lovely 

Congratulations to the poster who got in though! It makes me happy to see other people's excitement :)

I saw that and I immediately refreshed MyStatus just for my app to still be under review. Whether it's an acceptance or rejection, I hope for all of us on this thread to hear something in the next week or so to have some peace of mind. 

16 minutes ago, theonewiththepies said:

I saw that and I immediately refreshed MyStatus just for my app to still be under review. Whether it's an acceptance or rejection, I hope for all of us on this thread to hear something in the next week or so to have some peace of mind. 

Definitely! I find myself still holding out a shrivel of hope since so few people have posted results, but I would definitely prefer peace of mind over fantasies 

Edited by OperaGhost

I'm feeling really weird, guys. I keep trying to discipline myself to not look at the results and this forum, because I know it's only adding stress to my day-to-day life over something I decidedly cannot control, but the panic of realizing I may not get in anywhere represents some kind of unthinkable nightmare. More strange yet is that I'm completely self aware of how ridiculous it is to get upset about not being the 1% of people who get into the fanciest programs. Why is this a thing? Do we all want this simply because it's very, very competitive? Are we the problem? Lol I need to go for a walk or something. 

2 hours ago, phdapplicant321 said:

remind me what does POI stand for? i received a very standard (automated?) email that was from the dean of the graduate school. research area is contemporary poetry + diaspora literature. 

I think it means the Professors of Interest (I think so, but I made assumptions). That's great, I was wondering whether they have sent formal offers, since nothing is on the application portal. Congratulations again! 

9 minutes ago, NotBill said:

I'm feeling really weird, guys. I keep trying to discipline myself to not look at the results and this forum, because I know it's only adding stress to my day-to-day life over something I decidedly cannot control, but the panic of realizing I may not get in anywhere represents some kind of unthinkable nightmare. More strange yet is that I'm completely self aware of how ridiculous it is to get upset about not being the 1% of people who get into the fanciest programs. Why is this a thing? Do we all want this simply because it's very, very competitive? Are we the problem? Lol I need to go for a walk or something. 

Oh thank you for saying it out loud! Indeed, I feel at times I dragged myself into this because this whole process is wildly competitive (a very bad reason for doing anything) and the guilt! 

14 minutes ago, NotBill said:

What I did last cycle, though I haven’t done it this cycle, was restrict the results page from my browser (for the last month or so) so that it wouldn’t let me view it. I haven’t been as strong this cycle, but try it out. That might help with your anxiety when seeing the results page. I admit my heart also sinks when I see someone post an acceptance for a school that I applied for. I question why them and not me? What did they do that I didn’t? But I’ve come to realize that I shouldn’t take these decisions personally, and neither should you. PhD admissions are a complete crapshoot, my friend. Last cycle, my CUNY application was complimented in a personalized rejection. I was told that they were deeply impressed by my application but because the cohort size was reduced, they only had room for one early modern applicant. I was supposed to be on their waitlist, but that didn’t happen because the one lucky person took that spot. Fast forward to now, I reapplied—with a stronger application, at least according to professor with whom I’ve worked—and have heard nothing. I went from being someone for whom there was simply no room to someone left in the dark. Essentially, what I’m saying is that this process is random. Your application is probably really strong, but when they’re reading 40-50 other really strong applications for 3-5 spots, it becomes a luck of the draw, so to speak. 

Manifest an acceptance, and I’m sure it will come. :)

21 minutes ago, why_tho said:

I think it means the Professors of Interest (I think so, but I made assumptions). That's great, I was wondering whether they have sent formal offers, since nothing is on the application portal. Congratulations again! 

Yes, POI is just shorthand for the professor with whom you’d like to work. 

4 hours ago, theonewiththepies said:

I agree completely. Getting something is at least something. Hearing nothing from them is just tormenting. ??? 

3 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Oh thank you for saying it out loud! Indeed, I feel at times I dragged myself into this because this whole process is wildly competitive (a very bad reason for doing anything) and the guilt! 

I came to realize that admission is not exactly about how good the grades applicants have. It's more about how impactful the work applicants produce. Luck and recommenders' connections are of course also involved. But what's done is done. Finding ways to calm down seems to be more helpful at this stage ???

3 hours ago, Shake829 said:

Just got waitlisted at CUNY.

Congratulations! At least now you have something at hand :) and a little less to worry about. How many more to go?

They have already sent out all acceptances and waitlists, right? It's been a week since CUNY decisions started trickling in. Can I safely conclude now that since I have heard nothing from them, CUNY is a rejection for me? A little certainty is all I am looking for at this stage!

6 hours ago, Shake829 said:

Just got waitlisted at CUNY.

Me too LOL. As much as I want to be in NYC I'll be letting them know I don't need my spot so that people further down on the list than me can be bumped up.

I just got acceptances to Brown and Austin too! Hurrah!

6 hours ago, WomanOfLetters said:

I agree completely. Getting something is at least something. Hearing nothing from them is just tormenting. ??? 

I came to realize that admission is not exactly about how good the grades applicants have. It's more about how impactful the work applicants produce. Luck and recommenders' connections are of course also involved. But what's done is done. Finding ways to calm down seems to be more helpful at this stage ???

Yes! And I feel pretty inadequate academically anyway... i never once believed i could get into grad school and this insecurity shows in my very average application. Though I know UIUC and CUNY are most likey gone and I have ticked them off my list already, not having a rejection letter leads you into brief moments of hope (dangerous!).

UIUC never publishes anything in the way of a waitlist and yet takes months to reject a person. CUNY usually does acceptances and rejections within the span of a week but they are defying their own pattern this time. This pattern-defying behaviours of certain schools lead you into odd beliefs. They should just send the rejection letters (the ones they are absolutely sure to reject) along with the acceptances. Hurting feelings is not even an issue in this case.

It is so much easier to send mass rejection mails--hardly takes any time. Unless they are writing personalized rejection letters (which they may for some people), I am sure sending off 200 automated mails doesn't take much work.

1 minute ago, Submarina said:

Me too LOL. As much as I want to be in NYC I'll be letting them know I don't need my spot so that people further down on the list than me can be bumped up.

I just got acceptances to Brown and Austin too! Hurrah!

Congratulations! You should certainly sign up for the 2023 applicants-group :) At Brown you get to work with Leela Gandhi!