2022 Applicants

43 minutes ago, Cordelipup said:

Congratulations on multiple offers! Have you accepted one?

Thank you! Haven’t yet; will be choosing among Princeton (complit), Penn (complit), and UMich (English). Right now I’m leaning toward Princeton but will still attend open houses for all three to gauge the departmental fit. 

On 3/2/2022 at 10:14 AM, OperaGhost said:

Is anyone on here willing to claim the Rutgers acceptances/waitlists? I'm curious what subfields you might be in. I emailed the department about my application, and they said they were "still making decisions." I'm wondering if that means there's any hope for all us early modernists patiently waiting? 

If not, that's okay! I'd pretty much accepted my fate. Still, it really would be a shock and a delight to be accepted (or even waitlisted!)

I'm on the waitlist (my specialty is dramatic literature, especially 19th Century American popular performance). They were calling people on the waitlist, so if you didn't get a call, it's probably not great news. Sorry.

53 minutes ago, CHP47 said:

Is anyone else on the Rutgers waitlist? I feel like I've seen a bunch of results posts about being waitlisted, but not about actually being accepted.

I'm on the waitlist too. No idea what's up with the dearth of acceptances on the results board this year!

1 hour ago, heterotopia said:

Thank you! Haven’t yet; will be choosing among Princeton (complit), Penn (complit), and UMich (English). Right now I’m leaning toward Princeton but will still attend open houses for all three to gauge the departmental fit. 

Congrats on those offers! Sorry to pry, but am I correct that you were accepted to Rutgers as well? If so, did you turn down their offer? Again, I apologize for being nosy; I'm on the waitlist there, and we seem to have fairly similar research interests!

9 hours ago, katerinas said:

Just got rejected from NYU but accepted to the MA program... I really have no idea what to do. This was my top program, so I'm very tempted to go just to be able to be there. But is it worth more student loans for? Ugh, this whole season has been so demoralizing.

Me too. They said they're offering everyone a 50% scholarship and that 50% of their PhD students have MAs coming in.  I think there are fully funded MAs out there too, which would probably be better. But I do understand it's tempting since you get to take the same classes and work with the same faculty as PhD students, which could certainly give you an advantage next year... but life in nyc + loans doesn't sound fun. Hope you figure it out!

I also STILL haven't gotten the Irvine rejection... Not sure why all the West coast schools don't want me. I feel like there's another stronger applicant in my field who only applied to West coast schools. Or they just h8 me ?

Edited by Submarina

I just got accepted into Masters in English and Film studies at University of Alberta with their top funding. So yayyy. I thought all was lost but then this miracle happened. Honestly, I still can't believe it and I still feel that they sent me this email by an accident and they will realise this soon and I would be informed of this and be heartbroken again. ?

They said that the Official letter would come later, probably before March 25. I have to confirm my enrollment before March 25. 

My question : I have also been waitlisted at indiana and am awaiting admission decisions for U penn and University of maryland. Should I expect these phd programs to make all their decisions before March 20? I would, to be honest, even like them sending me prompt rejections so I could mentally prepare myself for U of Alberta. ? ?

Edited by miniqueerthingy

21 hours ago, SirGhostus said:

Congrats on those offers! Sorry to pry, but am I correct that you were accepted to Rutgers as well? If so, did you turn down their offer? Again, I apologize for being nosy; I'm on the waitlist there, and we seem to have fairly similar research interests!

Thank you! Yes, I was accepted at Rutgers as well; going to decline their offer later this month. Will keep you informed of the process :)

5 hours ago, miniqueerthingy said:

My question : I have also been waitlisted at indiana and am awaiting admission decisions for U penn and University of maryland. Should I expect these phd programs to make all their decisions before March 20? I would, to be honest, even like them sending me prompt rejections so I could mentally prepare myself for U of Alberta. ? ?

There are too many variable factors if you've been waitlisted. Sometimes, schools have their entire cohort filled before March. Sometimes, the same school is trying to fill the cohort after April 15th as more people make their final decisions. Every day after April 15th makes it that much harder to fill the cohort.

On 3/5/2022 at 1:47 AM, CHP47 said:

I'm on the waitlist

I’ve gotten waitlisted at Rutgers as well. (Specialty is 18C British). Just wondering have you been able to get in touch with any of your POIs after getting waitlisted?

11 hours ago, F22910 said:

I’ve gotten waitlisted at Rutgers as well. (Specialty is 18C British). Just wondering have you been able to get in touch with any of your POIs after getting waitlisted?

I have not. I emailed the person I consider the best fit back in in the fall but never got a response. I got the impression from the director of grad studies that my interests might actually line up with a few people I hadn't considered and they will connect me if it looks like there is movement on the waitlist, so I haven't reached out again yet. 

8 hours ago, CHP47 said:

I have not. I emailed the person I consider the best fit back in in the fall but never got a response. I got the impression from the director of grad studies that my interests might actually line up with a few people I hadn't considered and they will connect me if it looks like there is movement on the waitlist, so I haven't reached out again yet. 

I see, thanks for that! I was wondering if they met with all students on their waitlist. Seems like it depends on waitlist movement. Good luck with the rest of your admissions! :)

On 3/5/2022 at 2:22 AM, miniqueerthingy said:

I just got accepted into Masters in English and Film studies at University of Alberta with their top funding. So yayyy. I thought all was lost but then this miracle happened. Honestly, I still can't believe it and I still feel that they sent me this email by an accident and they will realise this soon and I would be informed of this and be heartbroken again. ?

They said that the Official letter would come later, probably before March 25. I have to confirm my enrollment before March 25. 

I also got in there and am wondering about the weird/early date! Do you know why this is?? Has anybody been accepted by another program that makes you confirm (much) before April 15?

19 minutes ago, icedwithoatmilk said:

I also got in there and am wondering about the weird/early date! Do you know why this is?? Has anybody been accepted by another program that makes you confirm (much) before April 15?

Yayy...congrats ? 

Yes, that early date is kinda frustrating. 

Are you waiting for some other programs? 

22 minutes ago, icedwithoatmilk said:

Has anybody been accepted by another program that makes you confirm (much) before April 15?

This happened to me when I was applying for MA programs. Once was for a fellowship that I had to accept by Feb. 15th!!! I was no where near close to hearing from all my programs at that point so I simply declined the fellowship.

I also was waiting to hear from some waitlists when the April 15th deadline came. I kindly asked my top program for an extension and explained I was waiting to hear from waitlists. They seemed to have no problem with that and gave me an extra two weeks. I am not sure if that would be true everywhere, but I think sending an email asking for an extension would be the best path!

6 minutes ago, miniqueerthingy said:

Yayy...congrats ? 

Yes, that early date is kinda frustrating. 

Are you waiting for some other programs? 

I'm waiting for some other programs pluuus I just don't want to have to rush my decision so much between the programs I have gotten in to!

4 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

This happened to me when I was applying for MA programs. Once was for a fellowship that I had to accept by Feb. 15th!!! I was no where near close to hearing from all my programs at that point so I simply declined the fellowship.

I also was waiting to hear from some waitlists when the April 15th deadline came. I kindly asked my top program for an extension and explained I was waiting to hear from waitlists. They seemed to have no problem with that and gave me an extra two weeks. I am not sure if that would be true everywhere, but I think sending an email asking for an extension would be the best path!

Ah yeah, I was thinking about just emailing and asking for an extension.. even though I don't have like thaaat good of a reason I just want more time!

On 3/4/2022 at 11:47 AM, CHP47 said:

They were calling people on the waitlist, so if you didn't get a call, it's probably not great news. Sorry.

After seeing on the board that a 21st century person got the same response as me, I suspect you're right. I'm thinking Rutgers just got tired of the flood of emails and decided to go with a "diplomatic" response to inquirers. 

Alas! Can't win 'em all. Best of luck to you in getting off the wait list!

16 minutes ago, OperaGhost said:

After seeing on the board that a 21st century person got the same response as me, I suspect you're right. I'm thinking Rutgers just got tired of the flood of emails and decided to go with a "diplomatic" response to inquirers. 

Alas! Can't win 'em all. Best of luck to you in getting off the wait list!

Thank you! It's been a rough cycle, hasn't it?

15 minutes ago, CHP47 said:

Thank you! It's been a rough cycle, hasn't it?

I'm honestly very curious about this? Like I know grad school application cycles are always rough, but I'm curious if it got better or worse since last year. I didn't apply last year, but I know of quite a few who got completely shut out. 

1 minute ago, OperaGhost said:

I'm honestly very curious about this? Like I know grad school application cycles are always rough, but I'm curious if it got better or worse since last year. I didn't apply last year, but I know of quite a few who got completely shut out. 

From what I hear, COVID deferrals from previous years are impacting the number of slots available. I currently work in higher ed and I know a lot of schools, especially public universities, had their budgets cut. I imagine that would impact the number of funded positions available. I started to apply two years ago, but stopped after submitting one app because I found out I was pregnant. I kept an eye on things even though I wasn't actively applying and the competition feels worse this year.