Fall 2022 PhD in Social Work/Social Welfare

XXXXXXphd2021

Starting a thread for the 2022 Fall PhD in social work/social welfare. 

I applied to four programs UCBerkeley, WUSTL, Chicago and Columbia.

WashU MSW alumni working at WashU School of Medicine, feel free to ask me anything about the WashU program. 

For those who also applied to UCBerkeley - does your application says awaiting GRE Score Report? GRE is optional and I do not plan to send in my score electronically. I am not sure if this 'awaiting' is because I reported my GRE score in the application (can't remember) or everyone's application is like this. No replies from the admission office yet, just wondering!   

First, thank you for creating this thread.  I cannot speak to UCBerkeley specifically, but in the past my experience was even for documentation not required it will say "awaiting".  It doesn't mean that your application won't be viewed.  However, if you are concerned reach out to admin.  

I wasn't applying this cycle but I ended up applying to the University of Alabama.  It is the only school I applied to this cycle.

Hey, y’all. I’m only applying to BC this cycle because it’s where I’m finishing up my MSW and my research advisor (and POI) works there. The school just seems like a really good fit with my research interests: utilizing neuroimaging technologies in social work practice toward better understanding and treating traumatic stress. Concerning my background, I don’t have post-MSW experience (obviously lol), but I’ve worked a few years in many different mental health fields and roles, I’m a recent-ish transfer from a PhD program in a different field (i.e., I have a million years of academic experience), and I got my first ms published in the field a month ago, with more currently being reviewed. I’ve heard folks on here had gotten into BC’s program under similar circumstances, so I figured it’s worth a shot.

What I’m curious about is the timeline for hearing back from BC. So far as I understand, folks started hearing from their POIs at BC for interviews in late January, and they were interviewed twice by their POIs at that time. And admitted candidates heard back around early/mid February. Sound about right?

On 12/29/2021 at 8:27 AM, ss_swhoping said:

First, thank you for creating this thread.  I cannot speak to UCBerkeley specifically, but in the past my experience was even for documentation not required it will say "awaiting".  It doesn't mean that your application won't be viewed.  However, if you are concerned reach out to admin.  

I wasn't applying this cycle but I ended up applying to the University of Alabama.  It is the only school I applied to this cycle.

Thanks! The admin did not reply my email and I hope my application didn't get stuck in the system for being incomplete. Geez. Should've just spent that $27 for a piece of mind. 

10 hours ago, neuroscienceisdumb said:

Hey, y’all. I’m only applying to BC this cycle because it’s where I’m finishing up my MSW and my research advisor (and POI) works there. The school just seems like a really good fit with my research interests: utilizing neuroimaging technologies in social work practice toward better understanding and treating traumatic stress. Concerning my background, I don’t have post-MSW experience (obviously lol), but I’ve worked a few years in many different mental health fields and roles, I’m a recent-ish transfer from a PhD program in a different field (i.e., I have a million years of academic experience), and I got my first ms published in the field a month ago, with more currently being reviewed. I’ve heard folks on here had gotten into BC’s program under similar circumstances, so I figured it’s worth a shot.

What I’m curious about is the timeline for hearing back from BC. So far as I understand, folks started hearing from their POIs at BC for interviews in late January, and they were interviewed twice by their POIs at that time. And admitted candidates heard back around early/mid February. Sound about right?

I can't testify for the two interviews but the timeline is about right. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 1:10 AM, Confusedkitty said:

I am applying this cycle too! International student graduating with my MSW this May.

where did you got your MSW? and where are you applying?

I am also an intl student with my MSW. I am applying to UC Berkeley, Columbia, WashU, UW

10 hours ago, govlskan said:

where did you got your MSW? and where are you applying?

I am also an intl student with my MSW. I am applying to UC Berkeley, Columbia, WashU, UW

I’m doing my MSW at University of Maryland Baltimore. I’m applying to UMB, Rutgers, UPenn, UPitts, SUNY at Buffalo. Staying on the east coast lol

Follow-up question, what if the PIs you specified in your application you already had as professors, they already expressed interest in doing doctoral research with you, and wrote glowing recommendation letters for you? Would that mean that they do not need to interview you since they already know you well and can advocate for you to the ad comm?

Edited by neuroscienceisdumb

6 hours ago, s48f8l said:

@neuroscienceisdumbI haven't heard back from BC yet either.

Just spoke with one of my profs at BC about their process a little bit. (I did not receive an interview invite.) This prof used to serve on the ad comm in years past. He said essentially that BC offers invites for interviews in only 2 scenarios. The first scenario involves international graduate students for whom POIs or the ad comm might want to test English language proficiency. The second scenario involves any student, whether international or domestic, who might be competing with another student for a spot with a certain POI. That POI might want to interview one or both of those students to see who they might want to recommend to the ad comm for admission. I hope this is helpful for any/all BC applicants.

19 hours ago, sujung96 said:

Hey! Has anyone got interviews invites from Columbia, NYU, or BU? Thanks! 

Columbia doesn't do interviews. Last year decisions were released mid Feb. Also many people would turn down Columbia's offers (their stipend level is horrible compared to cost of living in NYC) so they might send out another rounds of admissions after that. 

This round I'm applying to 2 SW doctoral programs. I just got my first acceptance from UW-M. Still waiting on UChicago. I'm also applying to Dis Studies at UIC and Psych at UPenn. If anyone else is applying at UW-M, I talked with the DGS of the SW PhD program. They're looking to get official rejections/acceptances out on Feb 9th and funding info on Feb 16th. UChicago will likely reach out to people closer to March re: funding and acceptances. 

15 hours ago, disab said:

This round I'm applying to 2 SW doctoral programs. I just got my first acceptance from UW-M. Still waiting on UChicago. I'm also applying to Dis Studies at UIC and Psych at UPenn. If anyone else is applying at UW-M, I talked with the DGS of the SW PhD program. They're looking to get official rejections/acceptances out on Feb 9th and funding info on Feb 16th. UChicago will likely reach out to people closer to March re: funding and acceptances. 

Big congrats!!

1 minute ago, beloved_child_of_God said:

Rejection from UC Berkeley; received email to check status :')

I was rejected too! A bit surprised but maybe they don't deem there is a good 'fit' (I am genuinely interested in POI's research tho). I have a MSW and multiple years of both quantitative and qualitative research experiences, 4 peer-reviewed pubs (2 first auth/co-first auth) and 3 non peer-reviewed pubs (research report/brief).  

On 2/7/2022 at 10:35 PM, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

I was rejected too! A bit surprised but maybe they don't deem there is a good 'fit' (I am genuinely interested in POI's research tho). I have a MSW and multiple years of both quantitative and qualitative research experiences, 4 peer-reviewed pubs (2 first auth/co-first auth) and 3 non peer-reviewed pubs (research report/brief).  

I emailed the POI and he replied that its a small program so they would need to prioritize faculty who have not admitted students recently (I knew my POI admitted a student with very similar interests of mine last year so it does make sense)