PhD Applications?

jenny11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, nonoshallnt said:

Where did you apply, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m trying not to worry until updates from the programs I’ve applied to have shown up on the results board….

I only applied to UCSD, and you’re absolutely right we shouldn’t be worried at this point... :)

On 1/28/2022 at 3:10 PM, BBQGGe said:

I only applied to UCSD, and you’re absolutely right we shouldn’t be worried at this point... :)

I also applied to UCSD. I did have an informal Zoom meeting with my POI two weeks ago (we talked on Zoom on time before I applied too) and he told me that they will be sending out interview invites at the end of January. So hopefully we'll hear soon!

32 minutes ago, atchugarry said:

Hi! Has anyone heard from Columbia? I saw on the results board that someone got an interview... have done three interviews so far but mostly waiting to hear from Columbia. Any info would be helpful! 

Heard that Columbia usually does not do interviews, so this year is somewhat of an anomaly

1 hour ago, nonoshallnt said:

Heard that Columbia usually does not do interviews, so this year is somewhat of an anomaly

Columbia did 15 minute interviews last year too. Prior to that, they didn't systematically do them. In any event, I was the one that posted about the interview on the results thread. I have my interview today; no idea what to expect. I also interviewed at Berkeley last week but haven't yet heard from them. . . .

Anyone know what the deal is with Harvard?

Edited by peterpan1127

11 hours ago, lamb727 said:

ME!!! Nothing new so far though...What about you?

Haven’t heard anything yet, but I emailed admin a week ago and they said the interviews invitation will be sending out in the coming weeks, and the interviews will happen during the mid-late February.

7 hours ago, i hate conceptual art said:

I also applied to UCSD. I did have an informal Zoom meeting with my POI two weeks ago (we talked on Zoom on time before I applied too) and he told me that they will be sending out interview invites at the end of January. So hopefully we'll hear soon!

I only had a informal Zoom conversation months ago with one professor before I applied, but haven’t got another invitation after the application:( also I didn’t list him as my 1st POI, instead another professor who I didn't have a chance to chat with.  Now I’m concerned?

9 minutes ago, peterpan1127 said:

Columbia did 15 minute interviews last year too. Prior to that, they didn't systematically do them. In any event, I was the one that posted about the interview on the results thread. I have my interview today; no idea what to expect. I also interviewed at Berkeley last week but haven't yet heard from them. . . .

I see! Didn’t see any posts regarding Columbia interview from last year so I assumed that they didn’t do it, thanks for sharing! 

I also interviewed at Berkeley last week, feels like they might take a little longer since they asked to do the interview before Feb 1. Waiting on Harvard too!

34 minutes ago, peterpan1127 said:

Good luck!!! Just curious, for the Columbia interview, did your POI reach out or are you having a standard panel interview with the admissions committee?

Edited by atchugarry

17 minutes ago, atchugarry said:

Good luck!!! Just curious, for the Columbia interview, did your POI reach out or are you having a standard panel interview with the admissions committee?

I just had it: it was done in the blink of an eye. POI wasn't present; there were 3 faculty members, one of whom I was told was filling in for the DGS. The questions were pretty general: why Columbia? Where do you see yourself fitting in here, etc.?

Edited by peterpan1127

Just now, peterpan1127 said:

I just had it: it was done in the blink of an eye. POI wasn't present; there were 3 faculty members, one of whom I was told was filling in for the DGS.

Congratulations on the interview and thanks for the information! Did they happen to tell you a timeframe for decisions?