PhD Applications?

jenny11

At the risk of jinxing myself, has anyone heard anything about UT Austin? I haven't seen a peep on the results board from MA or PhD applicants. It's seriously starting to freak me out. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if a few people have heard about interviews or who knows and I simply didn't get in.

Hi all! I'm wondering whether anyone has any insight into the IFA situation—I'm assuming that applicants under consideration have already been interviewed, given that the IFA website says they send out decisions in early March, but... did those interviews happen in early Feb.? Are they still ongoing? 

Thanks!

If it makes anyone feel any better, one of my former advisors clued me into the fact that lots of schools are really behind in their interview process. Another one of my friends who applied for a PhD in STEM said that one of the schools she interviewed with had their interview process totally changed by the administration WHILE the interviews were occurring. It seems omicron set back lots of universities. Fingers crossed this means those of us who still have heard radio silence still have a chance--truly banking on it!

On 2/11/2022 at 6:10 PM, StarF said:

Hey team,

I just received this email from my POI at Bryn Mawr College.

I want to know if it's only an interview or more like an unofficial offer.

I am glad to let you know that we have just had a department meeting discussing all the applications to our graduate program this year. You have been ranked as one of the top candidates. The committee was impressed by your passion for art, your previous academic training in art history, your fieldwork in Chinese museums, and your approach to Chinese art. The committee was excited that our department and college can provide the necessary support you need to prepare for your future career. 

I will be ready to meet with you via Zoom or Skype, and perhaps to chat about the graduate program and your plans at Bryn Mawr.

Btw the title for this email is Good News.

Could anyone who received interview invitations share invitation details? 

Lots of thanks

Also applied to Bryn Mawr and I am waiting to hear. Any further insight?

Just now, SukieSue7528 said:

Has anyone heard about anyone recieving an interview for the Art and Archaeology PhD program from Princeton for 2022?

This wait is really hard! It seems like someone posted they received an interview from this program in the results section. 

3 hours ago, Onthesamegalaxy said:

I applied to UCLA, but haven't received any interview calls. Now I guess it's too late to expect any interview invitation either. Should I assume it's a rejection?

I didn't apply to UCLA, but wondering the same thing about other programs. It's not clear to me whether no interview means one should assume rejection, although I'm not taking it as a great sign when others have interviews at a program and I don't. 

50 minutes ago, Affogato said:

This wait is really hard! It seems like someone posted they received an interview from this program in the results section. 

I have scoured the forum and I can't find anything on anyone talking about an interview at Princeton for the PhD in Art and Archaeology for 2022. Is there a way you can share that post with me? Grazie!

I also haven't been asked for any interviews which is very nerve racking. I've come to terms that I might need to apply again next year which isn't completely surprising given that I did not major or even minor in Art History. Instead I've been taking classes and organizing a bunch of independent curatorial projects. Anyone else in the same boat? 

On 1/9/2022 at 2:43 PM, JuniusBattius said:

Entering my final semester of a PhD at UNC-CH and lurking here to provide insight.

If you've applied to this program, please reach out to me. 

I went to UNC-CH for my undergrad and was an art history major. I am curious about your experience there! My undergrad time was great, but I am currently in a toxic grad program so I am wondering how it changed from undergrad to grad.

Hi All! I see that people are getting thier rejections and acceptances for PhD programs. I have applied to Princeton for the PhD in Art and Archaeology and to Oxford for the DPhil in the History of Art. I am still waiting to hear from either. I just wanted to wish everyone the very best. I try to keep in mind that if I get only rejections this year, it just means that it wasn't the right time or perhaps the right place, and I will apply to even more schools next year. I know I have the knowledge and the grades to get into a great program, but maybe this year it might not be in the cards, and if so, that is ok. 

Hello all! I am curious on thoughts on the likelyhood of getting accepted into a top program (I have applied to Princeton and Oxford for 2022 and have not heard from either). I have an M.Ed. in Adult and Higher Education from 2018 with a 4.0 gpa (numerous scholarships and awards, willon have an NM.A. in Art History with a 4.0 gpa with honors in May of 2022. I have also had research from both degrees published. However.... I have a BFA in Media Art from over 20 years ago in which I graduated with a 3.25 gpa. My degrees are from good schools, but not ivy league. Will either my undergrad gpa or my age effect my chances of getting into a top program? Thank you for any feedback or insights!

On 2/17/2022 at 3:29 PM, SukieSue7528 said:

I have scoured the forum and I can't find anything on anyone talking about an interview at Princeton for the PhD in Art and Archaeology for 2022. Is there a way you can share that post with me? Grazie!

I think the news of the Princeton interview was just in the results section, and not in the forums. I wasn't immediately aware of this part of Grad Cafe, but noticed others referring to results: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?per_page=20&q=&institution=princeton&program=Art+History&degree=&season=F22

As to your more recent question, I don't think your undergrad GPA and age will be major factors, especially compared to your writing sample, statement, recommendations, and all the factors at play behind the scenes. 

40 minutes ago, killerbunny said:

I think the news of the Princeton interview was just in the results section, and not in the forums. I wasn't immediately aware of this part of Grad Cafe, but noticed others referring to results: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?per_page=20&q=&institution=princeton&program=Art+History&degree=&season=F22

As to your more recent question, I don't think your undergrad GPA and age will be major factors, especially compared to your writing sample, statement, recommendations, and all the factors at play behind the scenes. 

Thank you very much for the link and the feedback!

Hi! To the applicants who were asking about Princeton—I don’t think they do interviews and that they send out their decisions to everyone at once. I applied last year and was waitlisted (which later became a rejection) without having done an interview. I also saw rejected, accepted, and waitlisted statuses for Princeton in the results section within 24 or so hours after I got the email from Princeton. So I think not hearing from Princeton simply means they are still working through the applications. But I suspect we’ll hear from them anytime now (I received their email on February 25 last year…). I hope this helps even if just a bit. 
Best of luck to everyone!