2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

5 minutes ago, justreplying said:

We all just need one school, right? Just one is enough!! Fingers crossed and I'm right there with you on checking my phone and refreshing my inbox... Hope there is good news coming! 

Has anyone heard about Phase II from UMississippi? This time last year, they had already notified everyone moving forward.

I haven't heard from Mississippi either—and I haven't seen anyone on Draft or here posting about. I also believe that they update their website when they notify people for round 2 (I saw someone on Draft posting that the year they applied they didn't notify people who didn't make it to round 2, they just updated the site). So I would keep checking their site for info. I can't remember where, but I did see somewhere that they weren't going to be notifying until the end of the month, so they may have just given themselves more time this year. 

hi, huge overthinker here. on the off chance i get a call from iowa or someone else who calls their admits, how bad is it if i miss the initial call? i work in the mornings and don't get a chance to check my phone until i clock out. i'm sure they understand if i don't answer right away, but my brain tells me that if i miss the call they'll change their minds about me lol

I’m currently suffering in this radio silence. I wish one of my first two had been an acceptance because I feel like I’m just staring down the barrel of 6 more rejections and I want it over ASAP. No idea what to make of USC’s silence to me and nothing from anyone else. Commiserating with you all ?but congrats to admits!! Hopefully I’ll get to join that group eventually ?

1 hour ago, dagreenkat said:

I’m sure it’d be fine. People in previous years have just gotten a call asking to call back, or just letting you know you’re in via voicemail.

thanks for the reassurance, as you can tell i'm not handling the waiting period very well at the moment. trying to keep my head up :)

Yeah, still haven't heard from WashU either, to those others that applied.

Have also heard that Iowa takes a long time to get both acceptances and rejections out, so even with that one acceptance, could be days before another is made. Not sure if that's accurate though!

1 hour ago, Mantisss said:

Yeah, still haven't heard from WashU either, to those others that applied.

Have also heard that Iowa takes a long time to get both acceptances and rejections out, so even with that one acceptance, could be days before another is made. Not sure if that's accurate though!

yes, I was told I was only the 4th person to be notified. More acceptances should come this week

24 minutes ago, loveujungkook said:

I hope we all get news soon, this wait is killing me !

Has anyone heard/seen anything from University of Virginia? I swear I read somewhere they wanted to interview this year, but I haven't seen anything about it from anyone so far...

I also heard (from a current student) that they're adopting the interview-before-acceptance approach, starting with this year.

I know last year they were notifying of acceptances in the first week of March? So this year they might be on the later side for interviewing too. But I'm really not sure.

1 hour ago, loveujungkook said:

I hope we all get news soon, this wait is killing me !

Has anyone heard/seen anything from University of Virginia? I swear I read somewhere they wanted to interview this year, but I haven't seen anything about it from anyone so far...

The wait has been killing me. It’s honestly become my top or second top school. I hope I at least get an interview ??️

11 hours ago, halsklo said:

anyone else regret putting all their eggs in one basket for applications? it's my first cycle and i stupidly only applied to one program...only found this forum after submitting my apps. screaming crying 

I did this last time. The only thing you can do is see how this year pans out and, if you have to reapply next year, use what you liked about this school to gauge other programs you could be interested in. 

4 minutes ago, crosie said:

Just got waitlisted at Johns Hopkins and I’m feeling all the feelings. Anyone know how many they usually put on the waitlist? I know the odds are slim to get in but it would be nice to have a better idea of my chances. 

SAME! First piece of good news after two rejections - I don't have any helpful info, but I'm planning to ask how long the waitlist is and if it's ranked (maybe these are answered in the email already, but I lost my ability to read after the first sentence). There might be some helpful resources in Draft, but I left the group a couple days ago and have yet to be re-admitted.

Congratulations! Hope there's more good news in both our futures!