2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

The Virginia rejection sucks. I don't know why, but I really had it in my mind that I had a stronger chance there than these other places. I even applied there in both fiction and poetry. I still have to wait and see, but I really don't see myself getting into Brown after all of these results, and that's my last school. So, I'm pretty sure I'm about to end this season at 0a/1w/7r, and no idea whether I'll get off that UofSC waitlist or not. Trying not to take it too personal but I had a lot of hope riding on this last batch.

18 minutes ago, annap said:

My final rejection (UVA) came in this morning. This was my first time applying to programs and although I had no hopes to get in, it still sucks. Any tips on staying motivated?

If you figure it out, let me know. I'm about ready to start planning more intensely under the assumption none of mine work out. I was holding out more hope until now. I know the hurt will pass, but damn is this process brutal.

1 hour ago, annap said:

My final rejection (UVA) came in this morning. This was my first time applying to programs and although I had no hopes to get in, it still sucks. Any tips on staying motivated?

I'm sorry this cycle didn't work out. I had to do two app cycles myself, and it was very difficult when I realized I'd have to wait a year or more for my MFA dream.

For what it's worth, you should feel proud of the work you did applying to programs. MFA apps are so much harder than undergrad apps; I experienced them as much more research-intensive, labor-intensive, and vulnerable. Here's something I've come to appreciate since I started teaching undergrads: Not everyone would be able to make a genuine, well-planned effort for these applications (especially if you did a lot of em). The ambition, patience, and planning required aren't as common as you probably think. And it's way, waaaay less common to care enough about your art to do all that work. (This isn't me complaining about my students btw. I'm just saying that it can be hard to see your virtues in a situation like this.)

In hindsight, my first failed app cycle really helped me grow as a person. The apps were a bigger and more consequential project than anything I'd ever completed, and I consider that a milestone in my journey to becoming a "real" adult. I hope that doesn't sound corny lol -- I really mean it.

Edited by feralgrad

20 hours ago, annap said:

I applied to a few programmes last year and got into two that weren't fully funded. So I saved up some money and moved to Mexico city for a few months to spend my time reading and writing and generally having fun. I reapplied to MFAs, added a few unis to my list, got into Iowa. I also proved to myself that I can write every day without going mad or picking up a hard drug addiction, and that I in fact enjoy this lifestyle more than any other

Has anyone heard anything from UC Irvine? I've heard that they swear admitted students to secrecy online but idk how accurate that is. There was a post in Draft yesterday that made it seem like they've started notifying admits but it got mysteriously deleted after like an hour.

1 minute ago, 1badgloop said:

Has anyone heard anything from UC Irvine? I've heard that they swear admitted students to secrecy online but idk how accurate that is. There was a post in Draft yesterday that made it seem like they've started notifying admits but it got mysteriously deleted after like an hour.

I'M WAITING AS WELL! I didn't know about the online secrecy bit -- what would the point of that be?

6 minutes ago, TitiMePregunto said:

I'M WAITING AS WELL! I didn't know about the online secrecy bit -- what would the point of that be?

I can't speak to UC Irvine, but I know Hunter does the same thing with regard to not letting their admitted students speak about it in a public manner. I assumed it was because not all students that get in in the first round end up attending, so maybe they don't want non-first-round accepted applicants to feel like a second choice? IDK though. Maybe that's giving these schools too much credit. And it's not like everyone complies, because I've seen mentions of people being contacted for interviews with Hunter both here and in The Draft.

55 minutes ago, 1badgloop said:

Quite sure poetry has gone out—I've seen both acceptances and a few waitlists starting from 02/07. Don't know why they would be swearing fiction applicants to online secrecy and not the poets. I've also seen fiction admits posting from former years. So I would assume that they haven't notified fiction yet... still, possibly, however, I'm just being optimistic! 

🤞

Also, I called Iowa and they said that poetry decisions were sent out in the mail today--I'm assuming that means they're done notifying acceptances on the phone, and it's probably just waitlists and rejections from here on out. I'm surprised since the poetry cohorts are usually like 20 people and we only heard about a handful of acceptances on here--usually it's a lot more! 

Does anyone know if UNCW has sent out their first round of funding offers? I know general acceptances went out, but I'm wondering if anyone has been offered funding/assistantships yet? I'm asking concerning nonfiction or fiction. Hope everyone is doing OK as the process continues onward. 

36 minutes ago, earthpoet said:

Curious if anyone has heard from these programs for poetry? Iowa State, UMD, ASU.

Got my waitlist for ASU today and have seen hella posts on The Draft about acceptances and what not. Also, saw one for UMD on the draft. Hope this helps.

25 minutes ago, ACPF said:

Got my waitlist for ASU today and have seen hella posts on The Draft about acceptances and what not. Also, saw one for UMD on the draft. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I left draft because it was getting stressful! But I'm glad to hear that. I'm trying to deduce what options I have left... as I've been waitlisted somewhere, but not gotten accepted yet.

18 minutes ago, earthpoet said:

Thanks. I left draft because it was getting stressful! But I'm glad to hear that. I'm trying to deduce what options I have left... as I've been waitlisted somewhere, but not gotten accepted yet.

Tell me about it... Waitlists feel like just like microdosing rejection every day. I have noooo clue about my future any more than prior, but now get to feel this way for an additional month 🤠👍🏽. Thank you and, uh, very cool and dope.

Rutgers-Newark invited me for a "brief conversation" (interview) this week! The invitation said it'll be to better get to know me and my work, but some people on Draft said that in previous years it was more general than that. Does anyone have any tips?! Nervous and excited :) thanks y'all 

50 minutes ago, ACPF said:

Tell me about it... Waitlists feel like just like microdosing rejection every day. I have noooo clue about my future any more than prior, but now get to feel this way for an additional month 🤠👍🏽. Thank you and, uh, very cool and dope.

Yes I am very stressed about waitlist as well. I am waitlisted for a school in the states, but accepted at a couple Canadian schools. The latest deadline to accept an offer for Canadian schools is April 1st... So I'm hoping if I get off the waitlist it will be before then. If I reject the Canadian schools but never get off the waitlist i'll be sad, but if I accept the school and then get off the waitlist I will also be sad. I just keep telling myself I'll end up where I am meant to end up.