2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

1 hour ago, flowerpot said:

VCU just came through with that rejection email. It's looking like my final stats are:

Rejected - UVA, VCU, NCSU, JHU, Pittsburgh (I just sat here for a solid five minutes trying to remember this one so... clearly it was not meant to be), probably VT

Waitlisted - WVU, Arkansas, LSU

Accepted - Rutgers-Camden with full tuition remission, full funding, and a TAship – I was waitlisted initially, then off the waitlist in less than 24 hours! I had a Zoom with Paul Lisicky and he seemed like a really nice guy, super enthusiastic about his program and his students. I'm tempted to go ahead and take the offer, because I'm down to relocate to Philly and have a good feeling about the program. At the same time, FOMO makes me want to hang in there until the eleventh hour to see if any of these waitlists move. I think I'm going to wait until the end of this month to see if anything comes up, but... I'm really thinking Rutgers-Camden is the one. I think if I ask myself "say you did get off one of the waitlists, would you still go with R-C?" and the answer is "probably," then... I think it's the one? It's pretty crazy that this process is drawing to a close. One of the most stressful wait periods I've ever had, excepting maybe the time I was waiting for brain MRI results (they were negative). 

Congratulations to everybody who has received good news this winter/spring, and all the best of luck to everybody planning to apply for the 23-24 round.

Hi! Congrats for your acceptance to Rutgers-Camden! Just a quick question if you could help me out here... were you waitlisted initially at VCU and did you get a form letter today with the rejection? I was waitlisted and then got the rejection form letter today, but heard nothing from the department themselves about being removed from the waitlist. This process is such a whirlwind!

13 minutes ago, earthpoet said:

Hi! Congrats for your acceptance to Rutgers-Camden! Just a quick question if you could help me out here... were you waitlisted initially at VCU and did you get a form letter today with the rejection? I was waitlisted and then got the rejection form letter today, but heard nothing from the department themselves about being removed from the waitlist. This process is such a whirlwind!

Thanks! And I heard nothing from VCU at all until I got the rejection, so I'm assuming I was just rejected without being waitlisted first. That's strange that you would be rejected from the waitlist before April 15, though – how is that supposed to work?? Unless all the spots have already been claimed, I guess. It feels kind of early for that but maybe not.

4 minutes ago, flowerpot said:

Thanks! And I heard nothing from VCU at all until I got the rejection, so I'm assuming I was just rejected without being waitlisted first. That's strange that you would be rejected from the waitlist before April 15, though – how is that supposed to work?? Unless all the spots have already been claimed, I guess. It feels kind of early for that but maybe not.

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to check with the department. Like you said, it's possible they filled their spots but also a little surprising. Wish you the best in your grad school adventures next year :)

Rejection from Brown earlier today!

Luckily I’ve gotten personal good news and was expecting this given yesterday so it didn’t really hurt.

0a/1w/7r

Now it’s time to bother my waitlist school more I guess! I’ll update one last time when I know from them. Crazy to see this process come down to the wire. Feeling a bit blessed and a bit cursed (from even more waiting to come!). 

This is almost the end of the road for me. Thanks for helping me along ❤️

18 minutes ago, heeeeeelp said:

anyone else still got nothing from brown (fiction) 

help i’m like weeping i need this to end 

I still haven't gotten mine for fiction T_T Maybe they're making their way down the alphabetic list of last names? 

32 minutes ago, inkidacat said:

also, does anyone have any news on UC Irvine (fiction)? it's been radio silence from them, so i'm assuming it's a no? but i also haven't heard anyone for fiction post about it,,, 

I'm in the same boat 😕 the radio silence is driving me nuts -________- I've been thinking about reaching out to the school for an update but I'm too scared lol 

10 minutes ago, ElCompaAV said:

I'm in the same boat 😕 the radio silence is driving me nuts -________- I've been thinking about reaching out to the school for an update but I'm too scared lol 

44 minutes ago, inkidacat said:

also, does anyone have any news on UC Irvine (fiction)? it's been radio silence from them, so i'm assuming it's a no? but i also haven't heard anyone for fiction post about it,,, 

I'm also waiting! In case it helps, here's some info I only recently noticed on UCI's website:

All offers of admission will be made by March 25.  These candidates must accept or decline their offer and financial support package no later than April 15.
Candidates who have been placed on a wait list will also be notified by April 1, and offered admission and support as places become available.
Applicants who have not been notified of admission or placement on the wait list by April 2, should assume they will not be offered admission. Because of the high number of applications and limited staff, it is not possible to send out denial notifications until late spring. Applicants who wish to confirm their application status sooner, may contact the Programs in Writing after April 16.

14 minutes ago, maz said:

I'm also waiting! In case it helps, here's some info I only recently noticed on UCI's website:

All offers of admission will be made by March 25.  These candidates must accept or decline their offer and financial support package no later than April 15.
Candidates who have been placed on a wait list will also be notified by April 1, and offered admission and support as places become available.
Applicants who have not been notified of admission or placement on the wait list by April 2, should assume they will not be offered admission. Because of the high number of applications and limited staff, it is not possible to send out denial notifications until late spring. Applicants who wish to confirm their application status sooner, may contact the Programs in Writing after April 16.

Being a week out from 3/25 makes me wonder if they've already sent out acceptances and no one's said anything because of UCI's alleged policy to not share that they've been accepted. idk. I just want to move on with my life and know whether I've been rejected or not lol 

32 minutes ago, ElCompaAV said:

Being a week out from 3/25 makes me wonder if they've already sent out acceptances and no one's said anything because of UCI's alleged policy to not share that they've been accepted. idk. I just want to move on with my life and know whether I've been rejected or not lol 

There was a Draft post that was deleted after an hour along the lines of “anyone else in at UCI?” so I’m assuming that’s the case. 

Congratulations to everyone hearing good news this week and sending lots of support and encouragement to those who are feeling disappointed by this process!

I can see a rejection from Iowa now through the application portal, but still haven't received a letter. Is anyone else in the same boat? Should I still expect a letter?

2 hours ago, snarkdarklark said:

There was a Draft post that was deleted after an hour along the lines of “anyone else in at UCI?” so I’m assuming that’s the case. 

A couple days ago, a friend currently at UCI told me that they heard there were prospective MFA students touring this week. It was sad to hear that for me, because I applied too. Without rejections out for another month, there is no way to tell for sure but I think there's not so much hope left there between this post and what I heard.

1 hour ago, Nightmaric said:

Congratulations to everyone hearing good news this week and sending lots of support and encouragement to those who are feeling disappointed by this process!

I can see a rejection from Iowa now through the application portal, but still haven't received a letter. Is anyone else in the same boat? Should I still expect a letter?

I’m still waiting on my letter, too - wouldn’t be surprised if it got lost in the mail or delivered to a wrong address, but who knows. Sometimes is just takes a while.

Is anyone still getting radio silence from Brown? I've checked my portal and there's still no update there, no email either.....pls put me outta my misery!!!!

nvm rejection received lol

Edited by girlgenius