2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

Does anyone have any information about how long it usually takes for a program to notify admitted students? If people were called yesterday for poetry by the University of Washington, and they only accept 8 people, should I expect that I didn’t get in?

And how about for a larger cohort like Iowa? How long does it take for all their acceptances to be notified? 

I’m losing my miiiiind! Good luck everyone!

14 minutes ago, DW444 said:

Does anyone have any information about how long it usually takes for a program to notify admitted students? If people were called yesterday for poetry by the University of Washington, and they only accept 8 people, should I expect that I didn’t get in?

And how about for a larger cohort like Iowa? How long does it take for all their acceptances to be notified? 

I’m losing my miiiiind! Good luck everyone!

Sadly, you just don’t know until it’s over. I thought the silence UofSC has given me was a surefire rejection until the waitlist came in. I think most programs tend to notify all accepted within a week or so, Iowa I think is the most spread out. Otherwise, the waiting game continues. 

I’m desperate for fiction notices from BU and Michigan myself; i’ve mostly seen poetry going out

Edited by dagreenkat
spelling

Oof - rejection from Boston. That makes 2 with Northwestern. 16 pending. Feeling so nervous. Really holding out hope that I get into Virginia Tech, seeing as I got that "final round" notice last week. At least it's news though -- hearing radio silence from so many programs has been stressful. 

8 minutes ago, CBeuley said:

Oof - rejection from Boston. That makes 2 with Northwestern. 16 pending. Feeling so nervous. Really holding out hope that I get into Virginia Tech, seeing as I got that "final round" notice last week. At least it's news though -- hearing radio silence from so many programs has been stressful. 

What genre? Manifesting the best news for you on Tech! Surprised you have so many pending still; they’ll start flooding in soon.

1 minute ago, CBeuley said:

Fiction! 

And I'm assuming probable rejections from Hopkins and NC State since people have heard from them, but my other 14 programs no one has heard from -- just crazy that I happened to apply to so many programs that notify later in the game - ugh 

On 2/21/2023 at 12:13 PM, c_eddy said:

Anyone else here apply to WVU for poetry? If so, hear anything yet?

sorry for the very very late response-- i applied for WVU poetry as well and have not heard from them. Heard in Draft that it's likely we won't hear from them for another few weeks or so.

4 hours ago, treaux said:

Just want to say that this is amazing!! I have not done a good job of staying productive slash functional slash remotely creative in these times of great anxiety so I have massive respect for those who have managed to stay focused on writing :) 

Thanks! I think it’s the only way for me to prove to myself that my success doesn’t depend on MFA programs. I actually realized that I started this novel when I was waiting for notifications last year…. So maybe I should keep applying and getting rejected to keep up the need to prove myself lol

5 hours ago, CBeuley said:

Fiction! 

And still nothing from BU for me! I wonder if that means something good... honestly even if I'm just in a later round of rejection that's enough for me 😭 Still manifesting the rest for you

16 minutes ago, Leeannitha said:

I have not gotten a result for any of my schools.🙃🙃🙃🙃 Not one. 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃I think I must be 🙃🙃🙃🙃the worst writer alive. Or my applications just went into the ether and never got read 🙃🙃🙃🙃

And you! How many schools are you waiting on? That's insane you haven't heard at all.

Noticed people getting acceptance calls today from Oregon state - congrats if you’re one of those!! I happened to miss a call with a 208 area code (am currently living outside the US) and was wondering if it might be related… very possibly a big stretch but if anyone has insight it’d be so appreciated <3!

51 minutes ago, somewhereelse said:

Noticed people getting acceptance calls today from Oregon state - congrats if you’re one of those!! I happened to miss a call with a 208 area code (am currently living outside the US) and was wondering if it might be related… very possibly a big stretch but if anyone has insight it’d be so appreciated <3!

208 is an Idaho area code that spills into Oregon a little. We often keep our numbers when we move so any US number could be news depending on where the caller is intially from. That said, I do get a lot of spam from random US numbers, so it could just be that. I’m crossing my fingers for you!

1 hour ago, belizaparker said:

same 😕

that's 5/8 for me, all rejections. i applied last cycle and had very similar results so i'm hoping my last three schools will have better news for me

2 hours ago, Leeannitha said:

I have not gotten a result for any of my schools.🙃🙃🙃🙃 Not one. 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃I think I must be 🙃🙃🙃🙃the worst writer alive. Or my applications just went into the ether and never got read 🙃🙃🙃🙃

I am also waiting on a bunch of schools (10!) and the limbo state of not knowing is stressing me out hardcore 

2 hours ago, dagreenkat said:

And you! How many schools are you waiting on? That's insane you haven't heard at all.

7. I feel like it is a really bad sign since others have heard from some of them. I kind of feel like a total fraud for even hoping and spending all that time and money preparing for this…the fact that I haven’t gotten news at all just seems so much worse than people actually acknowledging the application even for rejection. 

10 minutes ago, Leeannitha said:

7. I feel like it is a really bad sign since others have heard from some of them. I kind of feel like a total fraud for even hoping and spending all that time and money preparing for this…the fact that I haven’t gotten news at all just seems so much worse than people actually acknowledging the application even for rejection. 

i didn't get news from south carolina for over a month after they sent out initial acceptances and then i was notified that i was waitlisted. yeah, it's not a good sign overall, but truly anything could happen

edit: i also know someone who ended up getting waitlisted at 4 schools and had to decide where they were going to go on april 14th. there are a lot of last min decisions that get made and many things shift! it's not over til it's over

Edited by jjooeeyy

7 minutes ago, jjooeeyy said:

i didn't get news from south carolina for over a month after they sent out initial acceptances and then i was notified that i was waitlisted. yeah, it's not a good sign overall, but truly anything could happen

edit: i also know someone who ended up getting waitlisted at 4 schools and had to decide where they were going to go on april 14th. there are a lot of last min decisions that get made and many things shift! it's not over til it's over

Same exact experience here in South Carolina. I’ve chosen to believe any time I don’t hear and others have that good news may still come — or that I’ve at least passed a “round” of rejection 

got the much-anticipated Vanderbilt Poetry rejection this evening while at a play! Looks like people are finally starting to get responses from Oregon State, but I haven't heard anything from them quite yet. It's just Oregon and West Virginia now... 🤞🥲

so far: 0a/0wl/2r/2p and a plan B offered to advance from my current position as an outdoor guide into a supervisory position.

Let’s all remember that a lot of these places have incredibly low acceptance rates.. Harvard Law School has an acceptance rate of 7-10%, Harvard undergrad has 3-4% — nearly all fully funded (or even partially funded) programs that I know of are more selective than that. Less than 1%, in the cases of the programs that have like 5 seats (Vandy, Cornell, etc.) 

So rejection is definitely not a totally negative referendum on your writing! It ‘is’ however a reality check, reminding us that our cultural environment does not allow for the support of that many full-time studying/working creative writers. So we do have to dig in if we want to be one of those, and continue to improve via workshops and other community collaborations while we can. 

i know someone who applied to MFAs three times without any success, then got into Michener on the fourth try. I know a novelist who runs a selective workshop program who finally was able to publish their first novel a couple of decades into their writing career. So, these things are possible. But they take work and time. 

signed - someone on their third application cycle who is also definitely feeling the lows right now lol