2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

17 minutes ago, notebook said:

Feeling like pure shite, my neighbor and I got into a screaming match and she tried to throw down with me. i swerved because im sure as hell not about to fight a 60 year old woman. im trying to go to grad school not get charged for murder. 

Other than that im doing p well, just started reading a new book 

Sorry, but I am going to need to hear what this screaming match was about—and, if you're feeling generous, what book? 

On 1/28/2023 at 10:01 AM, lanadelreystan said:

Oh, yikes... That kind of puts me off a little. Shouldn't faculty be making the decisions from beginning to end? Not sure how I feel about currently enrolled MFA students being able to just toss my app before it hits a faculty member's eyes. I was one of the top 12% of applicants to UMich last cycle; I remember getting that email!

I get why you + other applicants wouldn't want students reading your applications. However, if I were applying to programs today, I wouldn't mind it. It's basically the same system lit mags have, where you have "slush pile" readers who pass on strong work to the genre editors. There are ways to make it more or less fair -- e.g. making sure you have several slush pile readers looking at each application.

Personally, I care just as much about my peers liking my work as my professors. I would be fine with potential peers looking at my application since they have plenty of expertise on who would be a good fit for the program.

I also think it could actually benefit applicants. As someone who's balancing being a student, TAing, and being involved in a lit mag, I see/feel how overburdened most professors are. If you have 4-6 people reading hundreds of applications, they're going to cut corners because they have to. They'll be less generous readers because they have so much other stuff competing for their time and energy. Distributing the apps among a larger pool of readers means that whoever reads your application is more likely to be patient and enthusiastic (instead of sick of it, lol). Also fwiw, I would love to read applications for my current program! That sounds like fun.

Edited by feralgrad

Hey @feralgrad , if you don’t mind saying, how has your writing changed since the start of your program? I feel like so much of the application process is seeing these programs as life changing or almost necessary. (At least, that’s how it is for me because the prospect of getting in is so exciting.) I know I don’t need an MFA to write. From this side, it just looks kind of magical lol. 
It would just be nice to hear your thoughts on how the MFA has changed your writing or helped you (or not!) since you are almost graduated. 

1 hour ago, feralgrad said:

I get why you + other applicants wouldn't want students reading your applications. However, if I were applying to programs today, I wouldn't mind it. It's basically the same system lit mags have, where you have "slush pile" readers who pass on strong work to the genre editors. There are ways to make it more or less fair -- e.g. making sure you have several slush pile readers looking at each application.

Personally, I care just as much about my peers liking my work as my professors. I would be fine with potential peers looking at my application since they have plenty of expertise on who would be a good fit for the program.

I also think it could actually benefit applicants. As someone who's balancing being a student, TAing, and being involved in a lit mag, I see/feel how overburdened most professors are. If you have 4-6 people reading hundreds of applications, they're going to cut corners because they have to. They'll be less generous readers because they have so much other stuff competing for their time and energy. Distributing the apps among a larger pool of readers means that whoever reads your application is more likely to be patient and enthusiastic (instead of sick of it, lol). Also fwiw, I would love to read applications for my current program! That sounds like fun.

After seeing your username and profile pic, I'm very interested in knowing what it's like to actually be in an MFA program lol. What is the workload like when it comes to expected creative output, and how do you balance writing your own work with teaching assistant duties?

A couple of schools that I applied to notified this week last year, so I'm a teeeeensy bit on edge. (I know there's no guarantee they'll notify at the same time this year, but still.) On one hand, I'm dying for news, and on the other hand, if it's bad news I'd rather not receive it lol. I did try to aggressively over-schedule myself this week so I'd be busy. 

1 hour ago, treaux said:

A couple of schools that I applied to notified this week last year, so I'm a teeeeensy bit on edge. (I know there's no guarantee they'll notify at the same time this year, but still.) On one hand, I'm dying for news, and on the other hand, if it's bad news I'd rather not receive it lol. I did try to aggressively over-schedule myself this week so I'd be busy. 

Just out of curiosity — what schools? 

19 minutes ago, crosie said:

Just out of curiosity — what schools? 

Take a look at least year's results posts: looks like Wyoming, Northwestern, University of Oregon, and UIUC all started to notify the first week of Feb. (I didn't apply to all those schools, but they're all on the results board.) But don't let me infect you with anxiety!! There's always a good chance things take longer this year. Do as I say, not as I do! 

4 hours ago, treaux said:

Not over-scheduled enough apparently because it's 2:00p here and I am incredibly stressed. Ugh. I just want to hibernate until the end of March. 

i hope everyone's doing okay with the stress of notifications!! just a reminder that ANYONE can post acceptances/rejections on this website... even if they're fake. i know in past years that people have posted false acceptances to mess with those who are anxious to hear back-- so keep your heads up and don't panic too much!<3 

also, i've been binging 'what we do in the shadows' to cope with my own stress and i can't stop thinking about the similarities of the few trolls in this thread and the energy vampires in the series... i think perhaps we may have a few in our midst... 

Does anyone have perhaps some- perhaps hopeful for those of us who have applied this cycle- insight into the fact that there is far less engagement, and far fewer active members, on the forum this year as opposed to last year and the years previous? I'm especially noticing a dearth of fiction applicants. 

This is notable, as it, in my opinion, relates to a lag in literary vigor in the past year. I'm wondering if this is being reflected in the amount of applicants for MFAs. 

Curious what you think. 

x

27 minutes ago, eeebbb1 said:

Does anyone have perhaps some- perhaps hopeful for those of us who have applied this cycle- insight into the fact that there is far less engagement, and far fewer active members, on the forum this year as opposed to last year and the years previous? I'm especially noticing a dearth of fiction applicants. 

This is notable, as it, in my opinion, relates to a lag in literary vigor in the past year. I'm wondering if this is being reflected in the amount of applicants for MFAs. 

Curious what you think. 

x

I have a feeling it’s also because the Draft group has become more popular over the years. People seem to gravitate towards there rather than here now. I think it’s partially due to the fact that anonymity on the internet isn’t that sacred anymore…people congregate on places like Facebook more often than anonymous forums like this one? 

On 1/29/2023 at 1:31 PM, Leeannitha said:

Hey @feralgrad , if you don’t mind saying, how has your writing changed since the start of your program? I feel like so much of the application process is seeing these programs as life changing or almost necessary. (At least, that’s how it is for me because the prospect of getting in is so exciting.) I know I don’t need an MFA to write. From this side, it just looks kind of magical lol. 
It would just be nice to hear your thoughts on how the MFA has changed your writing or helped you (or not!) since you are almost graduated. 

Happy to give my two cents! The program has benefitted my writing a lot. One of the main benefits was being exposed to authors and writing styles I wouldn't have read otherwise. This was so, so helpful for developing my aesthetic, which was previously defined by a few authors.

Getting consistent feedback/discussion of my work also helped me realize why I wanted to write beyond "it's fun." It also taught me what stories I really wanted to tell. When I came to my program, I thought I would mostly write scifi and horror, but in workshop I discovered that the scifi/horror elements in my stories were distracting readers from what I actually cared about, which tended to be psychological. As a result, I don't write genre fiction as often, and I know to prioritize the inner lives/thought processes of my characters. I also have a much easier time developing story ideas that I have enough passion to finish.

I will say that there are people I've encountered who didn't grow much in the MFA. This often had to do with work ethic (they didn't write consistently) or they struggled to accept and apply feedback. So caveat: it's up to you to make the most of your program, not the other way around. Hope that helps!

Edited by feralgrad

47 minutes ago, eeebbb1 said:

Curious what you think. 

x

I'm honestly not sure how someone would be able to quantify this unless they were part of an admissions committee this cycle or had access to the data. (This is my first cycle, so I don't know how active Draft was in years past.)

However, when I was speaking to one of my letter writers, she mentioned that the last two years of applications were a bit crazy and that she anticipated this year was going to be calmer. I have no idea how she made that estimation, since I spoke to her in November and my alma mater had a deadline in January.

Here's to hoping that it's a smaller pool of applicants—hah!

Edit: University of Michigan actually has statistics on number of applications to their program. It looks like from 2018-2021, the number of applications was near or over 1,000. However, in 2022 it was 800, whereas overall graduate school applications increased. Not sure if that's a trend or explained by some other phenomena, or if should even be applied to the MFA pool overall.

Edited by jjooeeyy

On 1/29/2023 at 1:39 PM, lanadelreystan said:

After seeing your username and profile pic, I'm very interested in knowing what it's like to actually be in an MFA program lol. What is the workload like when it comes to expected creative output, and how do you balance writing your own work with teaching assistant duties?

So every program is very different. Mine has a 2:2 teaching load, which is heavy (but I knew that going in, and I wanted to teach).

For expected creative output, I'd estimate that I produced 30-50 pages per semester. I'm not a fast writer, though I am consistent -- I haven't gone long more than a week or so without writing at all, though many classmates have had fallow periods. Do keep in mind that grad school doesn't really punish you for slacking, though. I know a couple people who workshopped things they wrote pre-MFA a full year into the program. But that's its own punishment, you know?

Balancing work with writing has been difficult at times, but I've been happy with my output. I think the key for me was a) remembering that writing, not teaching, is my first priority and b) not doing any school/teaching work after 5 or 6 pm. That's left me with enough time to relax, which is really important for keeping my creativity flowing. I've also had to fight my perfectionist tendencies a lot; I worry less about aesthetic details in my lesson powerpoints, for example, so I'm not wasting time on something that not actually important to me or my students. Also: skim. Skim for your life.

15 hours ago, feralgrad said:

So every program is very different. Mine has a 2:2 teaching load, which is heavy (but I knew that going in, and I wanted to teach).

For expected creative output, I'd estimate that I produced 30-50 pages per semester. I'm not a fast writer, though I am consistent -- I haven't gone long more than a week or so without writing at all, though many classmates have had fallow periods. Do keep in mind that grad school doesn't really punish you for slacking, though. I know a couple people who workshopped things they wrote pre-MFA a full year into the program. But that's its own punishment, you know?

Balancing work with writing has been difficult at times, but I've been happy with my output. I think the key for me was a) remembering that writing, not teaching, is my first priority and b) not doing any school/teaching work after 5 or 6 pm. That's left me with enough time to relax, which is really important for keeping my creativity flowing. I've also had to fight my perfectionist tendencies a lot; I worry less about aesthetic details in my lesson powerpoints, for example, so I'm not wasting time on something that not actually important to me or my students. Also: skim. Skim for your life.

Thank you so much for this info! I applied to programs with and without teaching duties, and if I end up getting into any and can decide between them, I'd have to think long and hard about it lol

5 minutes ago, stannecarson said:

Anyone else wake up this morning and feel a sense of dread wash over them as they realized it’s finally February?? ?

Yaasss. I'm hoping the schools that tend to notify the first week of February will do the same this year. But I'm also scared of results coming out, because that's the end of it, you know. It's either a yes or a no, and idk if I'm ready to know lol

Hey all! I’ve been lurking on the forum the last 2 years and (no one asked for it, but) here’s my two cents on hope and persistence in writing/applications: 

As a writer, there is so little I can control. I can’t control whether I’ll be published, whether I’ll be accepted into an MFA program, if people like my stories or if I’ll ever make money from my work. The only thing I can control is my endurance and dedication to writing, so this is what I focus on. 

Here is a quote for the fabulous Melissa Febos on the subject! 

“I have found a church in art, a form of work that is also a form of worship - it is a means of understanding myself, all my past selves, and all of you as beloved. 

This is why I will never stop doing it, even if no publisher ever again wants to share the results. Ironically, this kind of investment in the process is a boon to those who seek publication. Tenacity is often cited as the most common characteristic of successful authors. Of many of the talented people I’ve met - classmates, students, friends - many of them no longer write. The ones who have kept doing so have made it central to their lives both external and internal. Writing is hard. It is not the most apparently useful kind of work to do in the world. Most of us are not out here saving any lives but our own, though its power to do that (at least in my case) is uncontestable. The older I get, the less convinced I am about most things, but this is one of the great facts of my life.

I cannot imagine nurturing a devotion to any practice more consistently than one which yields the reward of transformation, the assurance of lovability, and the eradication of regret. No professional ambition could possibly matter more than the freedom to return, again and again.” - Melissa Febos, Body Work: The Radical Power of Personal Narrative 

Good luck to you all ❤️ 

1 hour ago, lanadelreystan said:

Okay, I'm antsy. Which programs are people sensing or hoping will notify this week?

It appears that someone in Draft got an acceptance email for the University of Miami today. I have a feeling WashU and NCSU will be next week. Potentially others, but I imagine it's not always so predictable. 

I'm actually trying not to check Draft too much. Honestly if I see that someone else has been accepted or rejected to a program that I've applied to it's just going to send my anxiety through the roof. I'd rather just find out when I find out.