2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

37 minutes ago, exsistingonline said:

I also have not been accepted into the draft. I am rather new this and just found this forum yesterday, is there a reason they wont accept join requests?

I had to wait like a week and a half to get approved after I requested. The admins are (I think) all either current MFA students or people who graduated recently, so I think it's just a matter of them not checking on it every day. For what it's worth, people on this forum have already mentioned all the acceptances that have been posted on there this year so far, so you haven't missed anything really. 

5 hours ago, alligator mississippiensis said:

Hey all! I’ve been lurking on the forum the last 2 years and (no one asked for it, but) here’s my two cents on hope and persistence in writing/applications: 

As a writer, there is so little I can control. I can’t control whether I’ll be published, whether I’ll be accepted into an MFA program, if people like my stories or if I’ll ever make money from my work. The only thing I can control is my endurance and dedication to writing, so this is what I focus on. 

Here is a quote for the fabulous Melissa Febos on the subject! 

“I have found a church in art, a form of work that is also a form of worship - it is a means of understanding myself, all my past selves, and all of you as beloved. 

This is why I will never stop doing it, even if no publisher ever again wants to share the results. Ironically, this kind of investment in the process is a boon to those who seek publication. Tenacity is often cited as the most common characteristic of successful authors. Of many of the talented people I’ve met - classmates, students, friends - many of them no longer write. The ones who have kept doing so have made it central to their lives both external and internal. Writing is hard. It is not the most apparently useful kind of work to do in the world. Most of us are not out here saving any lives but our own, though its power to do that (at least in my case) is uncontestable. The older I get, the less convinced I am about most things, but this is one of the great facts of my life.

I cannot imagine nurturing a devotion to any practice more consistently than one which yields the reward of transformation, the assurance of lovability, and the eradication of regret. No professional ambition could possibly matter more than the freedom to return, again and again.” - Melissa Febos, Body Work: The Radical Power of Personal Narrative 

Good luck to you all ❤️ 

Thank you for sharing this ?

If anyone else has any great quotes/book recommendations to help people through rejections and uncertainty, I would love to hear them. 

(Also: @feralgrad when you say 2:2 do you mean you teach 2 classes for 2 semesters? 2 classes over 2 years??? My brain is mush ?)

11 hours ago, Norwood said:

I had to wait like a week and a half to get approved after I requested. The admins are (I think) all either current MFA students or people who graduated recently, so I think it's just a matter of them not checking on it every day. For what it's worth, people on this forum have already mentioned all the acceptances that have been posted on there this year so far, so you haven't missed anything really. 

I was let in a few days ago, so they’re definitely still letting people in—I will echo that you haven’t missed anything big!

2 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Hi friends!!

Did anyone hear back from Cornell? I saw on the result page that someone already got an acceptance, but there is nothing in my portal. Even a rejection is better than waiting now ... ?

I saw that, too! No notification for me, either... Probably a rejection ?

2 minutes ago, lanadelreystan said:

I saw that, too! No notification for me, either... Probably a rejection ?

Thanks for replying!! Then Cornell is the first school I know that sends out acceptance wayyyy earlier than any other decisions... I mean, sure. But that's still kinda mean ? 

Anywayyyy, congrats to those who got in!!  (´▽`)☆´

3 minutes ago, fishloch said:

Same in draft. I didn't think Alabama was too selective. Isn't it a kind of 'safe' school for many? 

i didn't think so, either. i applied because i'm from alabama and tuscaloosa is two hours away from where i live, and i thought it would be a safer option in general.

i'm surprised decisions came out this early, too. i have a friend who's there right now for undergrad who also applied for the mfa, and she'd heard that decisions wouldn't come out until march. she was rejected too, unfortunately

19 minutes ago, fishloch said:

Same in draft. I didn't think Alabama was too selective. Isn't it a kind of 'safe' school for many? 

I'd push back on the idea of any fully-funded MFA program being a 'safe' school. Perhaps some programs are underrated or undervalued, but it's still difficult to obtain acceptance when a program only accepts 5 or so in each genre per cohort. Not sure how up-to-date it is, but Alabama currently lists 18 students on their site, and their program can be extended to 4 years; so that looks like roughly 4-6 students per genre, (since I don't think they offer CNF.)

1 minute ago, DaisiesinVodka said:

Has anyone heard of any acceptances from alabama yet? my portal still says my application is in review and i havent received any emails. 

They haven't notified admits or waitlisters yet. Not sure if this was the only wave of rejections or if more will follow.