2023 Application Thread

dr. t

3 hours ago, ATAH said:

That's me. Essentially one of my POIs (with whom I am taking courses) told me that many faulty are inclined to NOT admit ppl without a MA. 

Hi Thanks for sharing this! Would they generally consider those who are currently doing their MA (without any transcript by the time of submitting application tho)?

29 minutes ago, Della said:

Hi Thanks for sharing this! Would they generally consider those who are currently doing their MA (without any transcript by the time of submitting application tho)?

@Della Where did you go for undergrad?

Just now, 50CentParty said:

Has anyone interviewed w/t Berkeley heard anything (informal and formal)? It has been almost two weeks since my interview...

Nothing....nada....and I'm going crazy! 

8 minutes ago, 50CentParty said:

Hopefully there'll be at least sth informal tomorrow... For last year, they started sending offers in mid-Jan. This cycle is just bizarre.

Let's hope...

Got an email from Northeastern saying that I'm considered a "top candidate" (made shortlist) for acceptance in the the PhD program. They want me to come to their "per-admissions event" in a few weeks. They are reimbursing my flight from and to Boston and paying for a hotel room for my stay. The itinerary says I will get a chance to meet faculty, other PhD students, and tour the campus. The whole things seems a little odd, especially that their paying for my room and flight given I haven't officially been accepted. Does anyone else have any experience with this at NU or in general?

10 minutes ago, KinOfKafka said:

Got an email from Northeastern saying that I'm considered a "top candidate" (made shortlist) for acceptance in the the PhD program. They want me to come to their "per-admissions event" in a few weeks. They are reimbursing my flight from and to Boston and paying for a hotel room for my stay. The itinerary says I will get a chance to meet faculty, other PhD students, and tour the campus. The whole things seems a little odd, especially that their paying for my room and flight given I haven't officially been accepted. Does anyone else have any experience with this at NU or in general?

Congratulations! One of my friends is in STEM and he has been invited to similar events in February by two schools so far (everything covered by the school). It's essentially an interview process framed as campus visit/tour. For hiring faculty, I believe most schools would typically do this kind of campus interview for the finalists before giving offer.

44 minutes ago, KinOfKafka said:

I received the same invite this Monday! Can’t make it to Boston though since I’m an international student and don’t even have a passport... :(

Edited by orcinusorca

1 hour ago, KinOfKafka said:

Tell them to put you up in the Mandarin Oriental or the Seaport Hotel...

8 hours ago, kimedieval said:

rejected from the notre dame history program. there were 146 candidates for 8 spots. i knew just history wasn’t the best fit, but damn, still hurts. 

So sorry!!! Hopefully you'll hear back favorably on the medieval one!!!

A few years back, I was considering a PhD at an American university. But it was never clear whether a Masters was necessary for admission. Never quite understood this.

My understanding is that a USA PhD has coursework embedded, compulsory essays and language requirements, exams and a dissertation prospectus. Just sounds like students go through a second masters before progressing to writing their research. Not necessarily criticising, it's just odd to me. 

Best of luck everyone with the admissions!

On 1/26/2023 at 9:51 AM, greenlandsharki said:

A friend of mine studying science recently received a decision from the UMD for a master's degree. How long does it usually take for MA decisions to come out? I literally can not be on my laptop without constantly refreshing all my application portals waiting to see if anything changes. It is so stressful and unhealthy given the fact I should be working on my honors thesis lmao.

I'm doing the continuous refresh thing too... So, you're not alone. ?

27 minutes ago, Della said:

It's my friend who's applying for Harvard this cycle. He did undergrad at a non-Oxbridge non-London Russell group University in UK and currently doing master at Oxbridge. 

Did he get any news from Harvard? ?