How to deal with racist professor in a Catholic theological college at TST?

Homura

I am an International student at TST. I sent an email to the president of a catholic theological college within TST yesterday. Then I received an email from him which has racist comment about me.I think he intended to send this email to another professor but accidentally sent to me. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5201f5be1cc00c714f985dc0b1568022.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.38f129e6e918aa2a9879a1c3edad0e4d.jpeg

Edited by Homura

So I know Thomas Worcester personally. He's a racist. Low key, but a racist none the less and doesn't take kindly to the influx of Asian students in Toronto.

So, here's how you handle this:

Hit 'Reply' BUT add Pamela Couture (pamela.couture@utoronto.ca), she's the Executive Director of TST. You're also going to want to CC, and probably individually reach out, to the ARCDO office (antiracism@utoronto.ca) at the University of Toronto (https://antiracism.utoronto.ca/resolution/).

Write what you want in the email but call out Thomas. This isn't the first complaint against him. He'll apologize profusely, likely want to buy you a meal and "mend wounds." If you decide to accept, don't give in. This is what he does.

18 hours ago, xypathos said:

So I know Thomas Worcester personally. He's a racist. Low key, but a racist none the less and doesn't take kindly to the influx of Asian students in Toronto.

So, here's how you handle this:

Hit 'Reply' BUT add Pamela Couture (pamela.couture@utoronto.ca), she's the Executive Director of TST. You're also going to want to CC, and probably individually reach out, to the ARCDO office (antiracism@utoronto.ca) at the University of Toronto (https://antiracism.utoronto.ca/resolution/).

Write what you want in the email but call out Thomas. This isn't the first complaint against him. He'll apologize profusely, likely want to buy you a meal and "mend wounds." If you decide to accept, don't give in. This is what he does.

Is the professor he intended to send the email to also a racist? Based on this email, I think the faculty at Regis all knew what he is and remained silent. I will not accept his apology and I am determined to hold Regis College accountable. 

This is ridiculous. Definitely file a formal complaint if you are comfortable, and notify the head of your department. I can't believe this person really holds the position he has. Valuing your students regardless of identity should be prerequisite number one for a college professor. 

• 2 months later...

He's awful. I can't understand why the PROFESSOR of the university might be a racist. He studied a lot of students, I think all of them were different persons with different skin colors and appearances. In my opinion, such people must be not allowed to teach others. I've recently prepared an abstract and found here a lot of interesting thoughts on this theme. All teachers must educate themselves to the level where they don't have even racist thoughts.

On 8/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, affordhaunting said:

He's awful. I can't understand why the PROFESSOR of the university might be a racist. He studied a lot of students, I think all of them were different persons with different skin colors and appearances. In my opinion, such people must be not allowed to teach others. I've recently prepared an abstract and found here  https://paperap.com/free-papers/cultural-identity/ a lot of interesting thoughts on this theme. All teachers must educate themselves to the level where they don't have even racist thoughts.

Are you already done something with this situation?

@xypathos @Averroes MD @aalena75 @affordhaunting @Hypnautical

Thank you guys for your posts. I just want to give you an update on my complaint process. I have to say that the complaint process is very frustrating and exhausting. I reached out to the ARCDO office and Pamela Couture, the executive director of TST. But sadly ARCDO office and TST couldn't do anything at all because Regis has an independent governance structure and TST doesn't have an anti-racism policy. All they can do is to encourage me to follow the complaint process at Regis College. 

I filed complaint to Regis College in May following their grievance policy in May. It took Regis and its commettie about two months to publish a Human Right Policy in late July and I was told to re-submit my complaint to the newly appointed human right officer. Right now, my complaint is being handled in the guidance of this new policy. Meanwhile, Dr. Worcester  retired with honour like nothing happened and is going to teach at a Jesuit University in the states starting this semester.  

Edited by Homura

• 3 months later...

Another update:  I have met with the newly appointed human right officer at Regis along with a designated hearing officer for an interview in early October. After receiving the interim report produced by the designate hearing officer on October 31, the new president of Regis retained investigators to undertake an independent Investigation by November 4. I was just informed yesterday that the investigators have finished their inquires and will come up with the report within this week. I will share the results with you when I receive the report. 

I have to say I am very disappointed at Regis administration, the time lag and the fact that TST and U of T couldn't do much when a student is discriminated by a Faculty at its member college. 

If you are a minority student who are thinking about applying to Toronto School of Theology, choose its member college carefully. 

Edited by Homura