MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

For those who are anxiously waiting like me, I emailed Columbia asking when I should expect an update and this was their response:

Thank you so much for reaching out to us! We have sent out all interview invitations for the Painting program as of yesterday, February 17th. If you have yet to receive something, you will most likely receive one final notification of your final admissions decision. 

At least I can stop holding my breath and move on... ? 

2 minutes ago, sussy.spacek said:

For those who are anxiously waiting like me, I emailed Columbia asking when I should expect an update and this was their response:

Thank you so much for reaching out to us! We have sent out all interview invitations for the Painting program as of yesterday, February 17th. If you have yet to receive something, you will most likely receive one final notification of your final admissions decision. 

At least I can stop holding my breath and move on... ? 

Did you mean February 16th? Because today is the 17th 

6 minutes ago, mfadoom said:

Did you mean February 16th? Because today is the 17th 

That's what the email said, which also confused me, but I'm also currently living abroad and am 12+ hours ahead and maybe they knew that? And switched up the date to reflect the time difference... in any case, I can assume I'm rejected. OH well.

Edited by sussy.spacek
bad grammar

Another update, I was rejected from Wisconsin-Madison (Graphic Design). It was going to be a long shot, they only accept one graphic designer a year and I got the impression that they are more design-focused and less studio art-focused, so I probably wasn't the best fit.

They were also one of the few universities I didn't get to meet the faculty in person where everywhere else I interviewed/was accepted had met me in person.

The email I received said they got over 200 applications for 17 openings; their funding is on the higher end (I think a $25,000 stipend) so it's not surprising.

5 hours ago, reallyfamousartist said:

Hi- anybody going to Northwestern in-person interview this weekend?

How did the virtual interviews go for those of you that were invited? Get any tough questions?

I don't think I should help my competition LOL jkjk ?

My zoom interview went well, there was like 8 professors there, it's kind of intimidating, I couldn't imagine doing that in person. They seemed very interested in my art and asked very thoughtful questions tailored to who I am as an artist, I can tell every interview goes differently. They don't do the basic order of tell me about yourself? why us? etc....the questions are specific to YOU and your art. So if you know who you are as an artist then it should flow like any regular conversation. They were all very laid back and chill though. Best advice I can give you is just be yourself. 

But damn that 20 minutes goes by so fast. 

47 minutes ago, Garamond said:

Another update, I was rejected from Wisconsin-Madison (Graphic Design). It was going to be a long shot, they only accept one graphic designer a year and I got the impression that they are more design-focused and less studio art-focused, so I probably wasn't the best fit.

They were also one of the few universities I didn't get to meet the faculty in person where everywhere else I interviewed/was accepted had met me in person.

The email I received said they got over 200 applications for 17 openings; their funding is on the higher end (I think a $25,000 stipend) so it's not surprising.

Wow, one graphic designer a year...

9 minutes ago, onetwothreefourfive said:

Just heard back from UWMadison that I'm on the waitlist ?‍♂️. I had an Interview today with Northwestern which was pretty incredible. My experience was very similar to what @Gaaradescribed. The interview definitely confirmed that it's a top choice. 

I went in having an idea of where NW ranked on my list but they definitely impressed me with their thoughtful questions. They would be my top choice as well depending on if I get interviews with UCLA or UCSD, and how they go. But as of now, it would be extremely tough to say no to NW. I would also want to visit before making a final decision because I heard NW's studios don't have natural lighting because it's underground or something like that. 

It was my first MFA interview ever but they really made me feel like I wasn't an after thought. I'm glad they didn't ask basic MFA interview questions, it showed me they actually cared and put in effort. 

4 hours ago, u54rterytuuyrtrtrty said:

I don't know about painting but I wrote to Columbia as well and they responded that they are still reviewing applications for the Sculpture/expanded practice program and that they are going to ask for interviews in the next couple of weeks. ?

Who knows

They probably haven't gotten to printmaking yet :D

1 hour ago, Gaara said:

I went in having an idea of where NW ranked on my list but they definitely impressed me with their thoughtful questions. They would be my top choice as well depending on if I get interviews with UCLA or UCSD, and how they go. But as of now, it would be extremely tough to say no to NW. I would also want to visit before making a final decision because I heard NW's studios don't have natural lighting because it's underground or something like that. 

It was my first MFA interview ever but they really made me feel like I wasn't an after thought. I'm glad they didn't ask basic MFA interview questions, it showed me they actually cared and put in effort. 

I would like to see some of your artworks Gaara now :D

On 2/16/2023 at 8:55 PM, crisnyc said:

how many here have an existing studio practice? and who is coming straight out of undergrad? Is this your 1st time trying?

I've been out of school for over a decade, working in an unrelated field. Got serious about my studio practice a few years ago. And this is my first round/year of trying an MFA program.

Hope you guys dont mind answering. Not trying to be nosy, just trying to get a gauge of the competition ?

Im applying straight out of undergrad, so it's my year of applying for schools.

Just chiming in with the schools I’ve heard back from:

UT Knoxville - nothing

University of the Arts - accepted (with no interview)

University of Iowa - accepted

UW Madison - accepted

I only applied to four programs this year (this is my second time around) and I’m so pleased with the results. 

i heard i was accepted to UT Knoxville (painting) yesterday via phone call but unfortunately not with funding...so no GTA although maybe I can apply for an Assistantship in another dept outside of Art. 

rejected from wisconsin

accepted to U of Iowa!

waiting to hear from: OSU, UIC (assuming rejection from both of those schools) and SUNY Buffalo and Tulane (interviewed).

1 hour ago, scraps said:

i heard i was accepted to UT Knoxville (painting) yesterday via phone call but unfortunately not with funding...so no GTA although maybe I can apply for an Assistantship in another dept outside of Art. 

rejected from wisconsin

accepted to U of Iowa!

waiting to hear from: OSU, UIC (assuming rejection from both of those schools) and SUNY Buffalo and Tulane (interviewed).

How was the Tulane interview? I haven’t heard anything from them but it was possibly my first choice so trying to keep hope alive!

On 2/16/2023 at 8:55 PM, crisnyc said:

how many here have an existing studio practice? and who is coming straight out of undergrad? Is this your 1st time trying?

I've been out of school for over a decade, working in an unrelated field. Got serious about my studio practice a few years ago. And this is my first round/year of trying an MFA program.

Hope you guys dont mind answering. Not trying to be nosy, just trying to get a gauge of the competition ?

This is my first time applying to MFA programs. I've been out of undergrad for 5 years and I've spent all that time working as an artist and also working as an arts worker. 

1 hour ago, Forms Without Formula said:

How was the Tulane interview? I haven’t heard anything from them but it was possibly my first choice so trying to keep hope alive!

My Tulane interview was pretty casual. They asked the regular interview questions. I think the program is really small from what I gather. The faculty who interviewed me were friendly. I hope you hear back!

How’s everyone holding up? I just finished what I imagine was the last interview coming in Thursday, finished up my freelance deadline Thursday. Now I suspect I will be staring at a wall for 10-15 days until I get the results hahah. 

I’ll go through and add these to the system here too but my three interviews were these schools all for painting or an equivalent.

USC Roski- interview 2/3

SAIC - interview 2/11

Cranbrook - 2/16

USC Roski/Cranbrook were super chill interview processes if any future applicants peep this. Very simple and straight forward. Why our school? Give us the elevator pitch, and please elaborate a little on this part of your work. Also a very straight forward, where is your place in art history… which sounds intense but really isn’t. Both schools led me into it with a suggested starting point, and I filled in the gap between their suggestion of 1950s artists until current day.

SAIC was a different animal entirely. I imagine it varies a lot based on the faculty doing the interview. I was not given a heads up on the format or who would be there when I received the notification. Did a lot of research in advance to familiarize myself with staff so I wasn't going in completely blind. The interview itself was very free form dialogue that began by pulling up my portfolio asking me to describe my painting to them.  It took off from there. Incredibly present and engaged interviewers thoughtful questions and even insightful challenges to my aesthetic and conceptual thought. It was such a natural dialogue that truthfully I have no idea how I did. I do know I didn’t freeze up or fold under pressure and was able to keep them engaged the entire time and that feels like a win in that situation.  Left feeling incredibly rewarded having been shown more than just the schools general vibe but offered a peak at the education they are offering. Fingers crossed. But yeah if you get a Saic painting interview in 2024 there is your heads up!

I started asking a new question in the last two interviews which I personally found enlightening and I thought I’d add it here for people. It felt fair to test them back so I’ve been asking, “ after speaking with me about my practice and viewing my work, do you have any essays or reading to suggest to me that you feel would benefit my practice immediately in the short term? “ 

it’s given me an impression what they can offer back instantly. Also why not? If I get rejected I have advice on how to improve for next cycle, if I get accepted then I’m a month or two ahead of where I would have been and started early!

Appreciate all the info in past threads, helps me kinda estimate when I’ll hear the results back. To anyone who’s on round one, I went 0/6 no interviews last year and I know it’s rough anxiety wise first round of this ❤️ To anyone who’s at cycle two or three same goodluck! I hope the journey itself is rewarding and has improved your work!