MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

3 minutes ago, cookiecrumble said:

still don’t see anything from uoft :( losing hope at this point 

I didn’t apply to uToronto, but I’m sure you’ll hear back soon! Don’t lose hope yet :)

Hi all! Congrats on those who have been accepted, and to those who still did not get accepted, or are still waiting to hear back, don't lose hope!! Your worth is not defined by an acceptance or rejection. 

I am looking for some input as I am in a dilemna. 

I have been accepted to 3 programs and am trying to choose between them. I have spoken to alumni and made pros and cons list, but feel so stressed as I realy can't make a deicsion so ANY input is helpful!!!!

I have been accepted to the following programs:

1. Masters of science in pschotherapy @ Mcmaster.

2. Masters of Education in counselling and psychotherapy 2 UofT (OISE)

3. MSW (mental health stream) at UofT. 

what would you advise me to pursue? For context, my long term goal is to do therapy (private practice) but want to leave the door open to other oppertunities as I know from many therapists that burn out is real in this field. I know that an MSW allows you to do many things, other than therapy, but just wondering what your thoughts are. 

A masters of science really stands out to me as well, and I like Mac's program as it seems very clinical. Also during my interview @ mac, the staff seemed so friendly and it looks like a wonderful and supportive program. However, I am not sure if I can do a PHD after with an MSC ?

At this point, I am really not looking to do a PHD but again, just wanting to leave the door open. would love your input as I am drowning in my own thoughts/doubts about the best decision to make!

35 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

Hi all! Congrats on those who have been accepted, and to those who still did not get accepted, or are still waiting to hear back, don't lose hope!! Your worth is not defined by an acceptance or rejection. 

I am looking for some input as I am in a dilemna. 

I have been accepted to 3 programs and am trying to choose between them. I have spoken to alumni and made pros and cons list, but feel so stressed as I realy can't make a deicsion so ANY input is helpful!!!!

I have been accepted to the following programs:

1. Masters of science in pschotherapy @ Mcmaster.

2. Masters of Education in counselling and psychotherapy 2 UofT (OISE)

3. MSW (mental health stream) at UofT. 

what would you advise me to pursue? For context, my long term goal is to do therapy (private practice) but want to leave the door open to other oppertunities as I know from many therapists that burn out is real in this field. I know that an MSW allows you to do many things, other than therapy, but just wondering what your thoughts are. 

A masters of science really stands out to me as well, and I like Mac's program as it seems very clinical. Also during my interview @ mac, the staff seemed so friendly and it looks like a wonderful and supportive program. However, I am not sure if I can do a PHD after with an MSC ?

At this point, I am really not looking to do a PHD but again, just wanting to leave the door open. would love your input as I am drowning in my own thoughts/doubts about the best decision to make!

Hi!

A registered psychotherapist here who has just been accepted into the UofT's MSW program. I'm obviously biased, and it is your decision at the end of the day (they are all great programs, congratulations!). As someone who has already worked in the field, I think MSW is the most recognized and the most well established stream to this date. You can graduate from any of those programs and do the same thing, but the CRPO is fairly new, and psychotherapy is not regulated outside of Ontario, and therefore, has less place in the field, nationwide. But then again, just choose the most realistic and best option for you. As I said, any of the programs would allow you to build a private practice in the future.

18 minutes ago, jmcinn97 said:

Has anyone who was waitlisted at Carleton happened to hear anything yet? 👀

Just wanted to share that I rejected my offer to Carleton's 2-year MSW about a week ago, so hopefully that gives a spot to someone on the waitlist!

12 minutes ago, psyc1818 said:

Just wanted to share that I rejected my offer to Carleton's 2-year MSW about a week ago, so hopefully that gives a spot to someone on the waitlist!

Based on what my waitlist email said, they need to have more than 10 rejections for there to be any movement on the waitlist (🥴), but I’m glad to know at least one person has rejected their offer lol. You got accepted somewhere else I presume? :)

4 hours ago, justagirl35 said:

I checked my ACORN for uoft and it says "invited" as well as there is a $500 admission deposit showing up. Does this mean I was 100% accepted? I haven't received and email yet and my application status still say "submitted". 

That's me too. I'm not 100% sure but would sure think that it means you're accepted. It would make little sense for the university to set up your ACORN account so that you can pay the deposit (and possibly do so), only for the faculty to tell you a few days later that your waitlisted or rejected.

Edited by SearchForMeaning

2 hours ago, EN1988 said:

Ya, just wondering if they have been sending out any early admission offers. It says that May is their estimated deadline but results could come before or after that. Such a long wait!

I'm waiting for this and their full time program... The full time states that they aim to release offers in March... but thats over in four days so who knows at this point! I think Laurier is generally the last to send out offers.

I think it would be cool to put together a big list of advice for next year's MSW hopefuls, what do you all think? There were definitely a few things I didn't know when I was putting my application together. Maybe we could also pre-emptively answer some FAQ's too?