MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

2 hours ago, Samantha123 said:

Hey! Just thought I would reach out and share my experience as someone who also lives in Vancouver - I'm starting my MSW in the Foundation program at the University of Calgary in May. They changed the program this year to online/blended so I can keep living/working in Vancouver (including practicums) and there's an in-person residency in Calgary in the summer for 1 week every year to get together with all the students in the program. I believe they will be offering their Foundation program online/blended going forward so it could be a good option to look into for Spring 2024 admission :) application opens in August I believe!

Thank you very much for this update. UoC wasn’t on my radar as I initially read classes were in person for the foundational year, great news!  I will definitely send an application there as well.

18 hours ago, JJ154 said:

Hello everyone,

I just received acceptance to the foundational MSW at UFV for September. Is anyone familiar with the program?

I currently live in Vancouver and moving is not a desired option. I am applying for Winter 2024 at Laurier and will be submitting an application for the foundational pt program next week.

I am hoping for some input as to what the perceived likelihood of getting into the WLU program is (it sounds difficult..)? I've been telling myself that ideally I would begin completing the foundational year as part-time as possible at UFV to maximize the opportunities of applying to WLU before having too many credits to transfer.

Alternatively I could give up on this plan and try to go all in and more full-time at the UFV program and save some time and resources.

For context UFV's foundational program is only offered every two years, would be a 1 hour commute, most likely in class with the potential for evenings and weekends. Living in Vancouver, I need to continue working too.

I have a 3.95/4.33 GPA in a B.A in Psych, a few years of research experience, some paid in the Summer with scholarships. About three years experience working with a harm reduction focused non-profit housing organization (housing, shelters, programs, and currently doing outreach for a new housing project which will transition into being the residence Indigenous cultural support worker).

Apologies for the long winded post - I am simply hoping for some feedback as I could see myself applying to WLU repeatedly and kicking myself for prolonging the journey when there is a sure thing in sight.

I also have zero experience transferring credits, the language on school websites make it sound not very desirable to the receiving institution - could being enrolled in a program be a strength or worthwhile to mention in a personal statement? For example, I am passionate about my current job but need to pursue both for growth and competence, commuting is prohibitive, etc..?

Thank you for your time,

J

Omg I got in at UFV too but will decline because I have already committed to UVic - I am still waiting to hear from WLU (will update once I get a response) and I'll share my stats if I get in. 

One pro at UFV is that apparently tuition is relatively cheap, and all of my experiences with the admin were super nice & positive. 

Definitely call/email WLU and explain your situation/goals, their admin is also pretty friendly in my experience. 

I have never been to UFV, but I did my first year of undergrad at a small school (VIU) and compared to the larger school I finished my undergrad at (UVic), profs were a lot friendlier, the atmosphere was more relaxed and less competitive, and my grades were a good 5-10% higher at the smaller school. From conversations with other people from smaller universities, that seems to be a pretty common trend. 

That probably wasn't too helpful sorry :D

Hey everyone! 

I got my acceptance to UBC-O Foundation today. It was the only school I applied to.

I did my undergrad at McGill in psychology and philosophy, GPA 3.75. Honestly pretty minimal experience (about 400 hours all in, but I have never taken a year to work). I did have extensive research experience, publications, and conference presentations. I also think that my references were really strong. 

Hopefully everyone will be hearing back shortly. 

LAURIER MSW FALL 2023 - 2 year regular track 

I have read in a Reddit thread and in this thread that a bunch of people have either gotten rejected, waitlisted, and can confirm 1 international individual that has gotten accepted, she received her acceptance 13 days ago.

The wait is driving me insane, but I think they are going by Chronological order. My last name is T, and so far it looks like they have only sent out the results within the first half of the alphabet. 

28 minutes ago, MSWXX said:

LAURIER MSW FALL 2023 - 2 year regular track 

I have read in a Reddit thread and in this thread that a bunch of people have either gotten rejected, waitlisted, and can confirm 1 international individual that has gotten accepted, she received her acceptance 13 days ago.

The wait is driving me insane, but I think they are going by Chronological order. My last name is T, and so far it looks like they have only sent out the results within the first half of the alphabet. 

My last name begins with C and I have not received a response yet sadly 

1 hour ago, SW2023 said:

Hey everyone! 

I got my acceptance to UBC-O Foundation today. It was the only school I applied to.

I did my undergrad at McGill in psychology and philosophy, GPA 3.75. Honestly pretty minimal experience (about 400 hours all in, but I have never taken a year to work). I did have extensive research experience, publications, and conference presentations. I also think that my references were really strong. 

Congratulations!!!!! that's awesome!! :D

Do you mind sharing when you applied?

I received a notification yesterday morning saying that my application was under review by the program. How long did it take to update you after your application was under review? 

Tysm!!! :) 

1 hour ago, Applicant4 said:

My last name begins with C and I have not received a response yet sadly 

Aww :( okay, then maybe it is just randomized. The anticipation is honestly deadly 😭

On 4/14/2023 at 5:40 AM, mentalhealthadvocate said:

If there are people receiving waitlist offers for Laurier MSW Regular Track program, does that mean those that haven't heard back yet will be rejected soon? Just wondering since if someone is waitlisted than that means acceptances have already gone out? I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but rationalization goes out the window during this time hahah

I honestly have the same anxious thoughts about it, only thing that’s making me feel better is the thought that - if we haven’t received anything yet then we’re still maybe getting considered ??  

Ive noticed that they aren’t going through applications in chronological order! 

12 hours ago, barelyhanging said:

Congratulations!!!!! that's awesome!! :D

Do you mind sharing when you applied?

I received a notification yesterday morning saying that my application was under review by the program. How long did it take to update you after your application was under review? 

Tysm!!! :) 

I had submitted all of my everything (references, personal statement) by early Feb and got my "under review" email Feb 21. Hope this helps :)

12 hours ago, MSWXX said:

I honestly have the same anxious thoughts about it, only thing that’s making me feel better is the thought that - if we haven’t received anything yet then we’re still maybe getting considered ??  

Ive noticed that they aren’t going through applications in chronological order! 

I don’t know if this has anything to do with it but maybe it depends on when the application was submitted? I submitted mine beginning of October and heard back last week so maybe that’s the order of it?

17 hours ago, SW2023 said:

Hey everyone! 

Hi!!!! Huge congrats on your acceptance! Would you mind sharing how you heard? Curious if you got an email and an update to your file given that the application website is down for the weekend 😭

5 hours ago, nervousqueen said:

Hi!!!! Huge congrats on your acceptance! Would you mind sharing how you heard? Curious if you got an email and an update to your file given that the application website is down for the weekend 😭

Thank you!! 

I got an email at about 6pm eastern last night, at that point the portal was still open so I was able to log on and see the file update and offer letter, as well as the options to accept or reject. 

15 hours ago, SW2023 said:

Thank you!! 

I got an email at about 6pm eastern last night, at that point the portal was still open so I was able to log on and see the file update and offer letter, as well as the options to accept or reject. 

Congrats on your acceptance!!! Can I ask you a question? When you got an email that your file was under review, was that status updated in the portal, or did it still say "submitted"? I've been experiencing portal problems and I'm worried I may be missing information 😬

2 hours ago, itswingless said:

Congrats on your acceptance!!! Can I ask you a question? When you got an email that your file was under review, was that status updated in the portal, or did it still say "submitted"? I've been experiencing portal problems and I'm worried I may be missing information 😬

It still just said submitted all the way through! The status is still submitted now, but when I click 'manage' my status is "offer made acceptance required" and I have a button that says "view and respond to offer"

Hi all, 

Just got my offer of admission at WLU for the regular track full time on campus option. I have already accepted at UVic so will be declining, and I wish whoever gets my spot all the happiness & success in the world!

As I mentioned before, I'll share my stats here:

My overall GPA for undergrad was an A-, and in my last two years it was an A. I did an English degree with a psychology minor + some counselling courses. 

I had 2ish years of work experience in supporting individuals with disabilities, and various mental health/disability/tutoring volunteer positions. I also was a volunteer RA in the psychology department. 

My statement of interest/analysis of a social issue was pretty similar to what I submitted everywhere I applied. I talked about my experiences growing up as a queer girl in a super conservative environment, moving to Canada from the UK as a teenager, and the things I saw in my work that made me want to pursue social work. More specifically, I talked about wanting to help women with developmental disabilities who have experienced sexual abuse because I had heard so much about it from the women I have worked with. 

I submitted my application extremely late and my last name starts with O. I have heard several theories about the order in which they're contacting people, so I'm not sure if that is helpful!

WLU was the last school I heard back from. All the schools I applied for & decisions were:

Dalhousie (rejected)

Carleton (rejected)

U of Toronto (waitlisted)

King's/UWO (waitlisted)

U Fraser Valley (accepted)

UVic (accepted & will be attending)

WLU (accepted)

I debated applying for UNBC, UBC-O and U of Manitoba, but ended up deciding not to. Sorry for the long post, I just want to provide as much info as possible for future applicants!

I got accepted into Laurier this morning as well (regular track)! 

I'm so happy 😁😭!!

I got waitlisted for Uoft and Western which I was really bummed about, so it's great to finally hear some good news. 

I applied last year to Uoft and Western only and got waitlisted as well. Eventhough it sucked, I'm glad I tried again. If anything, I'm more prepared and have more experience than last time. 

To anyone who has been rejected, please try again next year if this is really what you want to do 🙂

2 hours ago, cookiecrumble said:

just got accepted into lauriers 2 year full time program!! SO HAPPY

Congratulations!!! So excited for everyone who got accepted! I still have not heard anything yet but do not have my LORIS info saved on my device so have to wait to log in at home.  Did you hear back via email? 

Edited by Applicant4

59 minutes ago, Applicant4 said:

Congratulations!!! So excited for everyone who got accepted! I still have not heard anything yet but do not have my LORIS info saved on my device so have to wait to log in at home.  Did you hear back via email? 

thank you so much!! and yes, i received an email!

Congratulations to everyone who has heard from Laurier MSW fall 2023 ❤️ I haven’t heard yet at all, I was wondering when you guys submitted your applications? Or the first letter of you last name? 😋

1 minute ago, MSWXX said:

Congratulations to everyone who has heard from Laurier MSW fall 2023 ❤️ I haven’t heard yet at all, I was wondering when you guys submitted your applications? Or the first letter of you last name? 😋

Still haven't heard back too. The wait is killing me lol

1 hour ago, Applicant4 said:

I haven’t heard back at all, if that helps how you’re feeling 🥺