MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

4 hours ago, sydney18 said:

I just received an email that I was waitlisted at York!

Same! I applied to U of T and York this year and I've been waitlisted by both programs now.

When I first heard back from U of T in March, I was pretty disappointed, but quickly got some perspective by reading the backgrounds and accomplishments of those who were accepted. Considering five years ago I had zero postsecondary education and this was my first year applying, making two waitlists feels like a big win.

A well-deserved congratulations to those who have gotten their acceptances, and best of luck to everyone still waiting.

3 hours ago, RosieTheNanny said:

Same! I applied to U of T and York this year and I've been waitlisted by both programs now.

When I first heard back from U of T in March, I was pretty disappointed, but quickly got some perspective by reading the backgrounds and accomplishments of those who were accepted. Considering five years ago I had zero postsecondary education and this was my first year applying, making two waitlists feels like a big win.

A well-deserved congratulations to those who have gotten their acceptances, and best of luck to everyone still waiting.

I can honestly say from first hand experience that you should both take that as a win and a reason to be hopeful for the future! I remember the drop in my stomach when i heard back from UofT last march. It was really hard to keep it together for the remainder of the semester as i was in the last semester of my BSW at the time. With UofT being the only school i applied for, it was hard not to feel a lil lost in the moment. 

I went to my backup plan which was to get some more experience in the field and so worked from graduation until now as i felt that was the biggest weakness in my profile. I applied to UofT this year as well as York as i didnt feel comfy putting all my eggs in one basket. To my surprise, i was accepted into both, with UofT being into the health & mental health stream. I even learned this afternoon that i was placed into SickKids for my practicum!! It really is incredible what a difference a year can make, so your viewpoint couldnt be more spot on! Like you said, the strides youve made in the last 5 years cannot be overstated or minimized, so just imagine what another year means for your growth :)  

Just got admitted to the 2 year MSW at York on Thursday! I got an email from Pip asking me when I could call and then when I checked the application portal the status was changed to "admitted."

I was waitlisted at UofT so I had completely given up hope 😅

My grade in the last 2 years of my undergrad at UofT was 85% and I am not sure how many work experience hours I accumulated in total. It was my first year applying so I am shocked that I got in!

Two things that probably helped a lot were that my current work study position is with UofT's faculty of social work and I knew an alum of York's MSW that helped me write my personal statement!

Congrats to everyone for your hardwork on your application, regardless whether you were accepted or not this time around ❤

Hi all! 

On April 11th I got off the advanced standing wait list at U of T for my first stream choice and I’ve accepted this offer.

I created an advanced standing (graduating 2024) FB group as right now it seems advanced standing are mixed in with regular track and there’s some confusion about placement discourse. 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/935199144391772/?ref=share&mibextid=ykz3hl

15 hours ago, msw2023hopeful said:

I can honestly say from first hand experience that you should both take that as a win and a reason to be hopeful for the future! I remember the drop in my stomach when i heard back from UofT last march. It was really hard to keep it together for the remainder of the semester as i was in the last semester of my BSW at the time. With UofT being the only school i applied for, it was hard not to feel a lil lost in the moment. 

I went to my backup plan which was to get some more experience in the field and so worked from graduation until now as i felt that was the biggest weakness in my profile. I applied to UofT this year as well as York as i didnt feel comfy putting all my eggs in one basket. To my surprise, i was accepted into both, with UofT being into the health & mental health stream. I even learned this afternoon that i was placed into SickKids for my practicum!! It really is incredible what a difference a year can make, so your viewpoint couldnt be more spot on! Like you said, the strides youve made in the last 5 years cannot be overstated or minimized, so just imagine what another year means for your growth :)  

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. It certainly means a lot to know others have been in similar positions and eventually saw their dreams come true. Congratulations on your acceptances and placement! Your story has further inspired me to keep on pushing. 😊

6 hours ago, cookiecrumble said:

Are there any groups / group chats for students starting the regular track MSW at Laurier? :)

I'd be interested too!

Got my FT on-campus Laurier acceptance on Monday. Did my undergrad in Bio-Psych, then a post-grad in Addictions and Mental Health. 78% average in the last two years and 3800 hours of work experience. Stoked!!! Applied to Windsor MSWwp last year and was rejected.

On 4/27/2023 at 4:45 PM, nervousqueen said:

Hi! I wanted to share that I was just accepted to UBCO foundational! 

Congratulations on your admission!! 🙂

I'm wondering if you could share when you received the email notification letting you know that your file was under review by the program, tysm!

17 hours ago, barelyhanging said:

Congratulations on your admission!! 🙂

I'm wondering if you could share when you received the email notification letting you know that your file was under review by the program, tysm!

Thanks!! I received the email that the application was under review March 10 and then the acceptance this Thursday! Hope that helps :)

Good luck! 

On 4/9/2023 at 10:55 AM, mswapp1 said:

Hi all,

I applied to the advanced standing MSWWP. I haven’t received a decision yet but was told that my application was sent to the office of grad studies for further review.

Does anyone know what this might mean??

The wait is so painful!

Hey! Have you heard a response by now? I applied pretty close to the cutoff so we will see if mine gets reviewed before it fills up. Still no status update though...

Anyone else unable to access their LORIS Applications Menu? I can click on it but nothing is showing up. Waiting for the part-time regular track MSW and hoping this might mean things are moving along now. 

5 hours ago, cmornin said:

Anyone else unable to access their LORIS Applications Menu? I can click on it but nothing is showing up. Waiting for the part-time regular track MSW and hoping this might mean things are moving along now. 

I just checked mine and nothing showed up for me either! I know the website said the target for when decisions will be out is the end of May (after it was updated), but hopefully this is a good sign? 👀

Edited by jmcinn97

4 minutes ago, yenyyenn said:

Any updates on the waitlist for UofT MSW Advanced Standing program? I found out I've been waitlisted in March and have been checking daily for any updates :(

The deadline to pay the deposit is june 1st so i think thats when you will see a lot of movement on the list
Advanced standing students just found out this past week what their assigned practicum was (with the exception of 15 who didnt get matched in the system) so you may even see some who were hoping for a hospital setting back out and go with another offer.

But yeah june 1st is the hard deadline for one to secure their seat so you unfortunately might not see much movement until that time