2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

Just now, kits123 said:

Any chance this person could be talking about the University of Arizona in the states? I just wondered cause they have an SLP program too. Or did they post on a thread for Canadian programs? 

that is very possible 😂

Anticipating acceptance is driving me crazy!! I’ve been searching for a Canadian forum and finally found one —- seems to be very very few people discussing in other places ?

I applied to UOfA, Dal, and McGill.

Undergrad in linguistics/speech sciences GPA 3.5 , 2nd quartile Casper, research experience , slpa experience, and lots of work with special needs populations of all ages 

Reference from an SLP I work for and 2 profs( 1 I did research for and the other a less strong one)

Haven’t heard back yet but have seen one person say they got accepted on march 7th into UofA—which means acceptances are starting to get sent out!(unless it was university of Arizona as I’ve seen some people say lol) 

Good luck everyone !!

Edited by Slpmanna
Addition

22 hours ago, kits123 said:

Any chance this person could be talking about the University of Arizona in the states? I just wondered cause they have an SLP program too. Or did they post on a thread for Canadian programs? 

I just asked them if Arizona or Alberta. Big difference! 

2 hours ago, am_speechie said:

When does McGill start sending out acceptance? This waiting game is getting to meee

I was looking at past threads and it seems like McGill sends out acceptances around the week of March 15, but since the 15th is a Wednesday this year I'm hoping they'll come out March 13th or 20th (hopefully the 13th)!?

Hi everyone! I'm late posting in this thread. This is my sixth time applying (don't get discouraged if the first time doesn't work out) and I thought I would share some of my application stats:

ORPAS subGPA - 3.62 | CASPer Test - 4th quartile | ~150 volunteer hours in SLP clinic | Working 1-on-1 with an individual with an intellectual disability

This round I applied to Dalhousie, University of Toronto, Western, McMaster, University of Alberta, and University of Maine.

I was not selected for an MMI with Mac (not surprised), but I was accepted to UMaine so thankfully the sixth time was the charm for me! :) Still hoping for a Canadian acceptance, but grateful and excited nonetheless!

On 3/8/2023 at 1:49 PM, 15itspossibleslp said:

Just wondering if anyone knows anyone who applied for U of A before, on when U of A usually send out results?

Thank you!

Last year I was waitlisted on March 24th! Hopefully won't be much longer until we hear back :)

On 3/10/2023 at 12:52 PM, SLPrettyPlease said:

Hi everyone! I'm late posting in this thread. This is my sixth time applying (don't get discouraged if the first time doesn't work out) and I thought I would share some of my application stats:

ORPAS subGPA - 3.62 | CASPer Test - 4th quartile | ~150 volunteer hours in SLP clinic | Working 1-on-1 with an individual with an intellectual disability

This round I applied to Dalhousie, University of Toronto, Western, McMaster, University of Alberta, and University of Maine.

I was not selected for an MMI with Mac (not surprised), but I was accepted to UMaine so thankfully the sixth time was the charm for me! :) Still hoping for a Canadian acceptance, but grateful and excited nonetheless!

wow I admire your perseverance! This is my second time applying and didn't get MMI at McMaster and felt like I had the wind knocked out of me! - I have VERY similar application stats to you, so its nice to hear that with these stats it is still possible to get into SLP programs! 

I am on the EDGE of my seat waiting for the McGill applications to come through.

Edited by MeganisaCDA

5 minutes ago, hoping4slp said:

Congratulations to you both!! Would you be able to share your stats?

To be honest I don't really know what my GPA is because I applied with an international transcript (BA in Linguistics). I didn't get accepted at McMaster (and they refused to tell me what my converted GPA was) but each school could have also evaluated my grades differently so who knows really.

I wrote a thesis on language in ASD and had my supervisor and another professor I had classes with and worked with on my thesis as my references so I think they were pretty strong references. I had very minimal SLP-specific volunteering in the fall but also volunteered for years at regular summer camps. Overall I didn't feel like my application was super competitive compared to some people I've seen on here so I'm surprised but excited to have been accepted!

2 hours ago, girl said:

Me too!! I'm so surprised they sent out letters so early!

Congrats! Did you ever get a confirmation email from dal saying your application was all good? I never got a confirmation email and my dal application still says "incomplete items outstanding". I was just wondering if this is still the case for you

7 minutes ago, speechenthusiast said:

Congrats! Did you ever get a confirmation email from dal saying your application was all good? I never got a confirmation email and my dal application still says "incomplete items outstanding". I was just wondering if this is still the case for you

I only got a confirmation email after I submitted the online part and paid the admissions fee, but not after I emailed my letter of intent and transcripts. And the online application portal still says incomplete items outstanding and they never indicated that they received any of my documents.

9 minutes ago, speechenthusiast said:

I also had this and never received a confirmation - double and triple checked I had sent in all the items required though but my application still says incomplete items as well.