2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

38 minutes ago, speechiemia said:

This is the time a lot of people heard back last year .. anyone else feel like this is all they think about? Super nervous!!

Yes, quite literally all I am thinking about. I feel like I check this forum and my email like every 30 mins lol. Fingers crossed we hear soon! 

2 hours ago, speechiemia said:

This is the time a lot of people heard back last year .. anyone else feel like this is all they think about? Super nervous!!

Yes! I usually have do not disturb on all the time because I get a lot of annoying notifications, but I have it off now just in anticipation of some sort of grad school email. I'm so nervous it's hard to focus!

8 minutes ago, Chxnfu said:

Hey,

waiting is torture. Any of you planning to do CDA (communicative disorders assistant) if you don’t get into slp or audiology? (I am!)

Me too! I have acceptances to St Lawrence and Georgian for CDA so if I dont get accepted to any schools on April 3rd I will be accepting St Lawrence!

9 minutes ago, speechenthusiast said:

Me too! I have acceptances to St Lawrence and Georgian for CDA so if I dont get accepted to any schools on April 3rd I will be accepting St Lawrence!

That’s great!! I’m heading to Durham for CDA if i dont get into Dal. I  applied to st Lawrence, and it was my top choice, but since I’m out of province, I was waitlisted.

Edited by Chxnfu

6 minutes ago, Chxnfu said:

That’s great!! I’m heading to Durham for CDA if i dont get into Dal. I  applied to st Lawrence, and it was my top choice, but since I’m out of province, I was waitlisted.

Woohoo! Thats weird that out of province makes a difference considering its an online program this year for St Lawrence, so you would think it wouldn't matter. Either way congrats but ill keep my fingers crossed for dal hahah. 

1 hour ago, Chxnfu said:

Hey,

waiting is torture. Any of you planning to do CDA (communicative disorders assistant) if you don’t get into slp or audiology? (I am!)

Waiting is absolute torture! Really hoping we all hear back soon and that it's good news! 

I did CDA first and I love being a CDA, certainly nice to be able to work in the field while continuing to apply for SLP. 

First time applicant here, this waiting game is so stressful! Just wondering if there is anyone on here who has applied in the past and would be willing to share their stats (sGPA, Volunteer Experience, etc.) and any results they had from schools in previous cycles (rejected, waitlisted, accepted). Just trying to gauge how strong/weak my application may be. Thanks! 

17 minutes ago, BSLP22 said:

First time applicant here, this waiting game is so stressful! Just wondering if there is anyone on here who has applied in the past and would be willing to share their stats (sGPA, Volunteer Experience, etc.) and any results they had from schools in previous cycles (rejected, waitlisted, accepted). Just trying to gauge how strong/weak my application may be. Thanks! 

Hi, I don't mind sharing! I agree that the waiting and anticipation is really tough.  

Last cycle I had a sGPA of 3.91. I had about 110 hours of volunteer experience at SLP clinics but it was only remote work because of the pandemic. I was waitlisted at Western and rejected from U of T. 

This year I'm working as an Educational Assistant for a special needs school that doubles as a therapeutic clinic and recreational centre. I'm hoping this experience and my direct work with SLPs will elevate my application this time around. I'm applying out of province to Dalhousie and McGill to hopefully increase my odds of getting in.

8 minutes ago, SarahS1998 said:

Hi just spoke with Mcgill and they say that the earliest they will send out responses is Friday, but most likely next week.

Thanks for the update!! Has anyone spoken to Alberta?

1 hour ago, SarahS1998 said:

Hi just spoke with Mcgill and they say that the earliest they will send out responses is Friday, but most likely next week.

Did they tell you how they would release their results this year? Last year they called some people...

On 3/21/2023 at 8:55 AM, Chxnfu said:

Hey,

Yes me, I already got into Georgain and Durham. I am waiting for Dal, still don't know which college is better though! any thought on that?

On 3/21/2023 at 10:21 AM, MeganisaCDA said:

Waiting is absolute torture! Really hoping we all hear back soon and that it's good news! 

I did CDA first and I love being a CDA, certainly nice to be able to work in the field while continuing to apply for SLP. 

Where did you take your CDA?

3 minutes ago, MarySLP said:

Yes me, I already got into Georgain and Durham. I am waiting for Dal, still don't know which college is better though! any thought on that?

Georgian has an on campus clinic for placements. Durham doesn't and I heard from many ppl that it was difficult to get placements and the school didn't help as much as they expected. So, if you aren't confident in your ability to hunt down those opportunities Durham might not be good. That said lots of people enjoyed Durham anyways. But yeah Georgian seems to be more popular imo, although I'm sure there are pros and cons to both. Haven't been to either though so this is just based on what I've been told! 

5 hours ago, Natalie SLP said:

Last cycle I had a sGPA of 3.91. I had about 110 hours of volunteer experience at SLP clinics but it was only remote work because of the pandemic. I was waitlisted at Western and rejected from U of T. 

Omg. With your sgpa at 3.91 and you *still* got rejected by u of t?????  That is insanely high!!!!  What do they want!!?!?!?!  A perfect 4.0. Yikes.  Did they say why you were rejected?  Fingers crossed for this year. How on earth did you improve your app??

2 minutes ago, SLPplease1 said:

Omg. With your sgpa at 3.91 and you *still* got rejected by u of t?????  That is insanely high!!!!  What do they want!!?!?!?!  A perfect 4.0. Yikes.  Did they say why you were rejected?  Fingers crossed for this year. How on earth did you improve your app??

My idea is that I mainly lacked hands-on experience. I didn't get any feedback about why I was rejected though. I was also in the final year of my undergraduate degree and someone on this forum suggested it could've been because I had prerequisites in progress? I didn't really understand how that would affect my application though. 

I think my application is stronger this time around. My sGPA is higher at a 3.94 and I'm also currently working as an EA to help boost my application. I also improved my statement of intent as I had more experience to talk about compared to last year. 

It was really discouraging at first but I learned a lot working in this position and I feel more (cautiously) optimistic knowing I have some experience to back up my drive to become a SLP. It goes to show that admissions can be really unpredictable. Wishing everyone good luck! 

21 hours ago, AG404 said:

Did they tell you how they would release their results this year? Last year they called some people...

No I did not ask that, unfortunately. Some people have told me they received a call and some told me they received emails (in past years), so i think it can be either or

20 minutes ago, SarahS1998 said:

No I did not ask that, unfortunately. Some people have told me they received a call and some told me they received emails (in past years), so i think it can be either or

Thank you! Good luck to us!

15 hours ago, kits123 said:

I'm also wondering if anyone has spoken to U of A? If not, I'll reach out to Vicky and ask. Last year they heard on the 23rd of March so it could be this week. 

I have not reached out - let us know what they say if you get a response back. In the portal my application is still showing as being in the pre-screening phase. Is everyone else the same?

Hello! Another update for you guys! I spoke with McGill(again) and there is a new chair of admission this year therefore it is undecided whether the successful candidates will be called or emailed (however in the past it has been phone calls). She also mentioned that there were MANY applicants this year with amazing applications and it is difficult to eliminate/choose. She has not received a list as of yet, so it should be starting next week.