Fall 2023 Applicants

JMAurelius

I have applied to quite a few programs, incl PhDs at Cornell, Harvard, Penn, Yale, UChicago, Princeton, UMich, UCBerkeley, as well as a MPhil at Oxford (for comparative linguitics). I have only heard back from Oxford so far (acceptance), but I am waiting for further updates from the American schools, so I could make a more informed decision. 

The US funded options are financially sensible as far as compared to unfunded American ones, but a program in France or Germany would still be way cheaper. Especially because as an international student in the US on a F1 visa, I can only work for 20 hours per week, on campus. But in the EU I could work basically however much and whereever I'd like to.

Good luck for everyone applying this season!

On 1/5/2023 at 11:40 AM, archanonymous said:

I am also a current undergrad @Siunas! Very nervous haha. What do you focus on? I study Hellenistic Greece mostly.

I feel you dude. In general I do cuneiform studies, and I am really looking forward to programs  that could integrate Hittitology and Assyriology.

11 hours ago, Siunas said:

I feel you dude. In general I do cuneiform studies, and I am really looking forward to programs  that could integrate Hittitology and Assyriology.

Halo! Another (parttime) NELC person here. From my understanding, not many American unis have an active Hittitological (however the word is spelt) department outside of UChicago. 

Have you considered applying to German/French schools? Places like FU Berlin, Marburg, Würzburg, or LMU Munich all have great Hethitologen as well as an active Altorientalistik department. Plus they, at least from my understanding, actually have funding for graduate students. If you know German, that would be great; but I do know people who work in Altorientalistik in Germany who have basically no German at all... (Leiden and Oxford, of course, are both great places for both Hittitology and Assyriology.)

Edited by applyingforfall2023

On 1/7/2023 at 10:53 AM, applyingforfall2023 said:

I have applied to quite a few programs, incl PhDs at Cornell, Harvard, Penn, Yale, UChicago, Princeton, UMich, UCBerkeley, as well as a MPhil at Oxford (for comparative linguitics). I have only heard back from Oxford so far (acceptance), but I am waiting for further updates from the American schools, so I could make a more informed decision. 

The US funded options are financially sensible as far as compared to unfunded American ones, but a program in France or Germany would still be way cheaper. Especially because as an international student in the US on a F1 visa, I can only work for 20 hours per week, on campus. But in the EU I could work basically however much and whereever I'd like to.

Congrats on the Oxford acceptance! ?

On 1/7/2023 at 3:53 PM, applyingforfall2023 said:

Oxford applications for Masters closed January 6th. How did you get an offer already? Early applicant or was your course different? I applied for the MSt in Greek/Roman History and was told to expect to hear early March.

47 minutes ago, Boerinnetje said:

Oxford applications for Masters closed January 6th. How did you get an offer already? Early applicant or was your course different? I applied for the MSt in Greek/Roman History and was told to expect to hear early March.

Hallo! The application ddl on 6.1. is the university-wide deadline (I think) for international students' funding, but the university, from what I understand, takes students both before and after that deadline.

For my particular course (comparative philology): https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/mphil-linguistics-philology-phonetics, there are two ddl, one on 11.11., one on 6.1. The first round of applicants are accepted before the beginning of the second round.

Good luck!

Hi everyone!  Just found this website and thought I'd join in.  I've applied for PhD programs in Classics at Cornell and Harvard, ISAW at NYU, AAMW at UPenn and IPCAA at Michigan.  I did my undergrad at UWO in Canada and my Masters in Scotland so the American system is very daunting!  Anxiously awaiting responses from the schools but UPenn is my dream.

21 hours ago, Stephanie Sherrett said:

Hi everyone!  Just found this website and thought I'd join in.  I've applied for PhD programs in Classics at Cornell and Harvard, ISAW at NYU, AAMW at UPenn and IPCAA at Michigan.  I did my undergrad at UWO in Canada and my Masters in Scotland so the American system is very daunting!  Anxiously awaiting responses from the schools but UPenn is my dream.

Where in Scotland? I'm at St Andrews :)

On 1/11/2023 at 9:00 PM, Stephanie Sherrett said:

Welcome!  Fingers crossed for you! ?

13 minutes ago, Stephanie Sherrett said:

Has anyone heard anything back yet?  Trying to keep the anxiety levels down but it's not working too well?

I applied to a bunch of programs, a mix of PhDs and MAs (archaeology track), and I haven't heard anything either so you're not alone! I'm trying not to think about it too much, as well, but that's definitely much easier said than done lol