Fall 2023 Applicants

JMAurelius

32 minutes ago, sulpicias said:

Hi guys! Just wanted to say that I got interviews at UPenn and USC, accepted at U Wash. I heard thru the grapevine that Stanford and UCLA have sent out interviews already, though, which I did not get :(

Congrats on UPenn, USC and U Wash!!  Which program at UPenn did you apply to?

Edited by Stephanie Sherrett

On 1/13/2023 at 2:26 PM, Fall2023Classics said:

Thanks! Any advice? I am so nervous about what they might ask ?

they mostly asked about my writing sample and what i want to work on in the future! they also asked me what my biggest obstacle what in my classics journey or something like that

18 hours ago, sulpicias said:

Hi guys! Just wanted to say that I got interviews at UPenn and USC, accepted at U Wash. I heard thru the grapevine that Stanford and UCLA have sent out interviews already, though, which I did not get :(

Congrats on the interviews and acceptance!! ??

On 1/13/2023 at 5:26 PM, Fall2023Classics said:

Thanks! Any advice? I am so nervous about what they might ask ?

Sorry for the late response!  Different programs conduct their interviews differently.  Some are more formal and technical while others are more relaxed.  Definitely know your own writing sample!  I stumbled on one of the questions about my writing sample and the whole interview just went south after that. ?  Also be prepared to talk about your research interests and how you want to approach them.  Other than that, just be yourself instead of who you think the committee wants.  Be confident, but if you don't know the answer to something, just be honest about it.  There's no point of faking it.  Usually they can tell.  I'd also tell you to relax and be calm, but I know it's easier said than done!  Best of luck!

48 minutes ago, edwardsaid69 said:

Hi, wondering if anyone has heard back from Princeton, Stanford or UCLA about interviews? 

Last year, Princeton Classics sent out at least some of the interview invites at the very end of January.  Of course, it could be different this year. But good luck!

3 hours ago, magnamater said:

Thank you! The waiting is tortuous, though I've noticed they've been pretty quick to respond in past cycles.

"tortuous" is a pretty accurate description!  If it's any consolation, last year prospective students began their campus visit for Cornell in early March, so if I were to guess - and this is no more than a guess - hopefully you would hear back from them about a decision in late February? Though I wouldn't read too much in to it even if you don't hear from them by then.

Edited by JMAurelius

I just found out that Stanford has a campus visit after the initial Zoom interview. Does anyone know what that entails? Is it a second round of interviews in person? How many applicants get campus visits, and how many of those are admitted? I didn't realize that was a thing. Btw I have gotten interviews so far for Berkeley AHMA, Penn Ancient History, Stanford Classics, and Princeton Classics.

24 minutes ago, PugLife95 said:

Aside from Michigan/IPCAA (congrats btw to those who got interviews!), has anyone from the archaeology realm heard from anywhere? I thought for sure I'd hear something last week, but maybe it's still too soon. *refreshes email for the 800th time*

I have only heard from IPCAA, but I did reach out to the DGS for Costen (UCLA) and Joukowsky (Brown) a few days ago with an update to my CV (just got hired for a dig and my advisors thought I should let the schools I applied to know), and both DGS passed along the updates to their committees which I assume means that the committees are still deciding. 

Edited by lithourgos

51 minutes ago, Arminius said:

I just found out that Stanford has a campus visit after the initial Zoom interview. Does anyone know what that entails? Is it a second round of interviews in person? How many applicants get campus visits, and how many of those are admitted? I didn't realize that was a thing. Btw I have gotten interviews so far for Berkeley AHMA, Penn Ancient History, Stanford Classics, and Princeton Classics.

What program did you apply to at Princeton? Was it their Program in the Ancient World track? 

59 minutes ago, PugLife95 said:

Aside from Michigan/IPCAA (congrats btw to those who got interviews!), has anyone from the archaeology realm heard from anywhere? I thought for sure I'd hear something last week, but maybe it's still too soon. *refreshes email for the 800th time*

Just Cornell Classics Ancient Art and Archaeology track (interview)

18 hours ago, JMAurelius said:

"tortuous" is a pretty accurate description!  If it's any consolation, last year prospective students began their campus visit for Cornell in early March, so if I were to guess - and this is no more than a guess - hopefully you would hear back from them about a decision in late February? Though I wouldn't read too much in to it even if you don't hear from them by then.

My interviewers said that I could expect a decision by 15 February and quite possibly earlier, so at least there’s some defined timeframe for all of this!

4 hours ago, magnamater said:

My interviewers said that I could expect a decision by 15 February and quite possibly earlier, so at least there’s some defined timeframe for all of this!

That's fantastic! Hope the interview went well and fingers crossed!