Fall 2023 Applicants

JMAurelius

18 hours ago, Siunas said:

I got the offer from UChicago! Never dreamed about it, so thrilled! And I also got the interview invitation from ISAW and Brown, just an update for my fellows. Hope you guys have great results soon!

Congrats! Time to celebrate! ??

On 1/25/2023 at 11:36 PM, Siunas said:

I got the offer from UChicago! Never dreamed about it, so thrilled! And I also got the interview invitation from ISAW and Brown, just an update for my fellows. Hope you guys have great results soon!

That's AWESOME! Congrats! ? ? One of my best campus visits was at UChicago!

4 hours ago, Stephanie Sherrett said:

First rejection: Cornell

Got the official letter then a follow up from the director of the grad school.  Was told they aren't taking students on the archaeology track for Classics this year due to lack of archaeology based funding.

That sucks. ?.  But don't give up! And best of luck with all your other applications!

I did not apply to Yale Classics but my friend did and she wants know whether anyone has gotten interviews or any communication? She applied to Classics with the combined History program. I see NELC department has interviewed, but is Classics doing that this year or are they delayed? Congratulations to everyone who has gotten acceptances so far though! 

On 1/31/2023 at 5:13 PM, Fall2023Classics said:

I did not apply to Yale Classics but my friend did and she wants know whether anyone has gotten interviews or any communication? She applied to Classics with the combined History program. I see NELC department has interviewed, but is Classics doing that this year or are they delayed? Congratulations to everyone who has gotten acceptances so far though! 

21 hours ago, applyingforfall2023 said:

For the Classics (philology) PhD programs, so far I have got admissions from UChicago and UMich, and a rejection from Cornell (no interview). I am having interviews in the coming days with Princeton, Harvard, and UC Berkeley, but haven't heard anything from Yale yet. Good luck everyone!

Yale Classics (and combined programs where you've applied through the Classics dept.) hasn't had interviews yet and, as far as I know, has not reached out to anyone about interviews yet. 

Best of luck to everyone applying this year! Don't stress if you haven't heard anything from schools yet--some places are running behind this year or have changed their process for interviewing/admissions (in person vs. on Zoom interviews, for example). You got this!!

18 hours ago, lithourgos said:

Got an interview with the Joukowsky Institute at Brown!! Very overwhelming!!

Congrats on the interview and best of luck!

When I was applying, I considered Brown, but it was the only one on my shortlist of programs that required GRE. So I ended up not applying to it.  Is GRE still required this year?

3 minutes ago, JMAurelius said:

Congrats on the interview and best of luck!

When I was applying, I considered Brown, but it was the only one on my shortlist of programs that required GRE. So I ended up not applying to it.  Is GRE still required this year?

Not this year! None of the schools I applied to required the GRE. 

For those who applied to the Yale history/classics combined degree, I have insider knowledge that they admitted only one applicant this year, so if you are not that applicant, then I am sorry to say it didn't work out for you (I too am sadly not that one applicant).

18 hours ago, Arminius said:

For those who applied to the Yale history/classics combined degree, I have insider knowledge that they admitted only one applicant this year, so if you are not that applicant, then I am sorry to say it didn't work out for you (I too am sadly not that one applicant).

Ah, I'm so sorry! Have they already contacted this applicant? How do you know? Cause they haven't contacted anyone else right? 

18 hours ago, Arminius said:

^ Do you know if they reached out to the applicant? I have a friend who interviewed for the combined classics/ history degree in early January but hasn’t heard back yet. Hoping that having the interview is a good sign. But around now is the time when he is supposed to hear back. Good luck to everyone! 

I have only had activity from 3 of the schools to which I applied: accepted to UNC Chapel Hill's PhD (archaeology track), accepted to CU Boulder's MA (but waitlisted for funding), and interviewed by Princeton's Dept. of Art & Archaeology.

I applied to a bunch of programs...this leaves me with 12 that I haven't heard anything from! So for those of you still waiting, as hard as it is, I would try not to read too much into it. I seems like most schools are pretty behind across the board this cycle. I've enjoyed reading everyone's exciting updates, and best of luck to all!

6 hours ago, Fall2023Classics said:

Ah, I'm so sorry! Have they already contacted this applicant? How do you know? Cause they haven't contacted anyone else right? 

6 hours ago, bucephalus said:

^ Do you know if they reached out to the applicant? I have a friend who interviewed for the combined classics/ history degree in early January but hasn’t heard back yet. Hoping that having the interview is a good sign. But around now is the time when he is supposed to hear back. Good luck to everyone! 

I just finished my history MA at Yale, so I know the some of the professors involved. They have already contacted that applicant. I am sure that this is the only H/C applicant who will be admitted this year through the history department. However, both history and classics can admit people into the combined program. Perhaps the classics department will admit more H/C applicants this year—I am not sure, though if I had to guess I would say not. I do know classics department is behind the history department this year, so who really knows?