Fall 2023 Biomedical Sciences U.S. Ph.D. Program Applications

immuno.virology

Certainly some outstanding individuals here! I'd like to present myself as a fairly, normal candidate (which I think most of us are). 

BS/BA: Biology and Psych. Undergrad GPA:3.2 

Postbac certificate in Bioinformatics. GPA: 3.8

Two years of academic research experience (full time). Last 8 months have been as a lab manager at a UC. One publication/poster as a third author at SITC. International work/outreach in West Africa for a year (after undergrad). Under-represented minority is every facet: Hispanic, first-get American, first-get college graduate, and grew up with next to no resources/very low socio-economic status. 

Strictly applied to UW under 4 programs: Genome Sciences, Immunology, MCB and M3D.

Personally chose not to apply to mid-tier or safety schools because I think the idea of it is ridiculous and truly a sign of a backwards higher education system that pressures you into a box if you don't have certain resources. 

I wish you all the best of luck and hopefully the same for me!

5 hours ago, Mustang_97 said:

These programs (as I have heard from students who are in those programs) usually evaluate applications separately. Each division will have separate evaluation and send out invites. Which division did you apply to?

@tiredgrad congrats! Similar profile as yours, but applied to Microbio, Immunology and infection division.

Statistics say 33% interview rate (300 applicants and 100 invites sent). Fingers crossed.

I applied to cancer biology in the integrated program and hope invitations can be sent out soon. It's good to know they work separately to review the application and send interview invitations. 

Hey all! I might be a little late, but I wanted to introduce myself. ?

Profile:

• Domestic Student
  • 4.0 master's GPA, 2.9 bachelor's GPA
  • ~3 years of research experience, 2 pubs (1 first and 1 middle author), and 2 pubs in preparation. Numerous poster/oral presentations and a few research awards. 
  • Some significant leadership experience with national STEM organizations and involvement in DEI and outreach projects!

I applied to: Penn State Bioinformatics and Genomics (interviewed last week), Harvard BBS, Cornell Microbiology, UW-Madison MDTP and CMB, Vanderbilt IGP, CWRU BSTP and MM, UCSD Biomedical Sciences, Pitt IBGP, CU Denver Biomedical Sciences, Tulane Biomedical Sciences, Johns Hopkins BCMB, and Utah Biosciences.

Would love to hear from people who have applied to or gotten interviews from any of those programs. Good luck to everybody!

Edited by genomics-gal
Submitted accidentally before finishing

9 hours ago, newtoCMB said:

Hi there, mine is on thursday morning. What other programs did you apply?

Harvard, Yale, WUSTL DBBS, NYU, Sloan, Pitts, MD Anderson, Baylor, Emory, Columbia, Weill Cornell, Mayo, Penn, UT Southwestern (interview), Brown pathobiology (interview). All are immunology programs. 

How about you? Finger crossed for us. 

8 minutes ago, totoblabla said:

Harvard, Yale, WUSTL DBBS, NYU, Sloan, Pitts, MD Anderson, Baylor, Emory, Columbia, Weill Cornell, Mayo, Penn, UT Southwestern (interview), Brown pathobiology (interview). All are immunology programs. 

Nice set of univs. Which division in Columbia? Mind sharing profile?

1 hour ago, coloredimages said:

I also got an interview for Columbia's Integrated Program (no specialization)! So excited it's my first in person interview, see you all there ?

Also I did hear back from Vilcek for an interview after all ?

Would you mind sharing which track you applied for Vilcek?

2 hours ago, Angela211 said:

Thanks. I am an international applicant and applied for Cell Biology (including in Genes, cells and organisms). But I have not heard anything yet.

I am also an international applicant. I haven’t heard back either from Vilcek.

7 hours ago, totoblabla said:

I applied for Harvard BBS, NYU Vilcek, WUSL, Sloan Memorial, CU Anschutz, Umass T. Chan, Mount Sinai. Best of luck!!

Has anyone received interview invites for the Neuroscience track at Mayo Clinic? I see a couple of invites for Regenerative Medicine and Immunology. 

Also please let me know if you have received any communication from Penn BGS (NGG), Northwestern University (NUIN), Yale BBS (Neuroscience track), Harvard BBS, Princeton (Mol Bio), Boston University (Biology), UIUC (MCB).

Best of luck!