Fall 2023 Biomedical Sciences U.S. Ph.D. Program Applications

immuno.virology

maybe this is annoying to ask but how do y'all chill out and forget about this stuff?? do you?? I know I'm lucky since I've gotten interview invites but like as soon as I get the invite it's about 30 seconds of "yay!!!" and then it's immediately on to stressing about the interview. Just dealing with a ton of imposter syndrome I guess and would love some advice (or at least commiseration!!) if you all have any 

3 hours ago, yikesonbikes said:

maybe this is annoying to ask but how do y'all chill out and forget about this stuff?? do you?? I know I'm lucky since I've gotten interview invites but like as soon as I get the invite it's about 30 seconds of "yay!!!" and then it's immediately on to stressing about the interview. Just dealing with a ton of imposter syndrome I guess and would love some advice (or at least commiseration!!) if you all have any 

I don't have any advice but I am in the same boat, I haven't been able to sleep at a normal time without using sleep aids that end up making me feel even worse. I've always struggled with anxiety and periods like this are really challenging in general. Can't even go to my schools mental health office because they're closed for the holidays.

4 hours ago, yikesonbikes said:

I used to have this issue a lot with my current research, but I think its just developing other identities/hobbies from my scientific career/interests which I've done a lot of since graduating and working a bit as a research associate.

You already know your science super well as evidenced by your invites, everyone deals with imposter syndrome, but most importantly, its good to just remember you are a person outside of your PhD invites and your scientific work and have things you enjoy

Also maybe morbid but the phrase "memento mori" and stoic philosophy has helped me deal with a lot of things with regards to regrets about doing X vs Y, being in a certain place in life, etc. The reminder of death is actually kind of comforting in knowing that in the end, what's more important is to live a fulfilling life filled with enriching experiences, which usually means that a lot of things I am anxious about I find tend to pass regardless. 

Edited by kung_pao_chiken

1 hour ago, coloredimages said:

I don't have any advice but I am in the same boat, I haven't been able to sleep at a normal time without using sleep aids that end up making me feel even worse. I've always struggled with anxiety and periods like this are really challenging in general. Can't even go to my schools mental health office because they're closed for the holidays.

Oh boy, where do I start. I have not been able to sleep in my regular schedule ever since I pressed the "submit" button. I however, have started to take brisk walks throughout the day, up-to 5 miles a day with occasional stops to birdwatch. Besides that, I am in the lab trying to focus on the research while unsuccessfully trying to start preparing for the interviews. I think we should set up zoom meetings or something to discuss/chat stuff since all of us are in the same boat. It'd be cool to talk to someone else about one's science to build confidence. If that sounds like a good idea, send me a message.

Edited by क्रीं

19 minutes ago, क्रीं said:

Oh boy, where do I start. I have not been able to sleep in my regular schedule ever since I pressed the "submit" button. I however, have started to take brisk walks throughout the day, up-to 5 miles a day with occasional stops to birdwatch. Besides that, I am in the lab trying to focus on the research while unsuccessfully trying to start preparing for the interviews. I think we should set up zoom meetings or something to discuss/chat stuff since all of us are in the same boat. It'd be cool to talk to someone else about one's science to build confidence. If that sounds like a good idea, send me a message.

This sounds fun!

Hello everyone! Good luck. I have been on gradcafe since 3 years ago when I was first applying to PhDs. 19 rejections in that cycle. I have applied this year as well, received 1 interview from a top school so far - rest haven’t announced to my knowledge. I thought I would never write here but I wanted to give some encouragement too, as we are all sharing a similar path and waiting is very hard for all of us. Whatever happens, always remember that program decisions are not personal. Unfortunately waiting is a big part of the process, but do not forget that you have been waiting for a longer time, each one of us have been working hard for years. You should be proud of yourself! We all have one passion and that is science - whatever happens, I believe in us. I try to surround myself with people and hang out with friends during this time, which helps distract myself from the wait. I hope to give you good updates, but if not, I know that it will not be the end of my journey. Getting into science was the best decision I ever made and I will stick with it regardless. Stay strong my friends and good luck to everyone. 

Edited by mrprecise

8 hours ago, mi-toe-sis said:

Received Harvard Immuno interview at around 1 pm PT today

Congratulations!! when did they send it specifically? like 1PM Monday (12/19)? 

Asking cause I was told interview invites comes out tomorrow. I guess they released it early. 

2 hours ago, immuno.virology said:

Asking cause I was told interview invites comes out tomorrow. I guess they released it early. 

Not the person you are quoting but I received mine around 5.30PM EST. It seems like they are sending it out over time as opposed to a huge batch of emails at the same time.

Also, has anyone heard from Yale Immunology? Wondering if they are sending out emails over the next few days because there were some with invites yesterday.

Edited by shockadeli

47 minutes ago, greendgreenday said:

I've just received an interview invite from Stanford Bioscience. I hope this is helpful.

Congrats! Same question as others, what program did you apply? BTW, is this like the informal notification from the department because the website said they will send out invites on Jan.9th. 

3 hours ago, immuno.virology said:

Hi, do you mind sharing where you got that information from? :0

1 hour ago, shockadeli said:

Not the person you are quoting but I received mine around 5.30PM EST. It seems like they are sending it out over time as opposed to a huge batch of emails at the same time.

Also, has anyone heard from Yale Immunology? Wondering if they are sending out emails over the next few days because there were some with invites yesterday.

Thanks! Yeah I don't know how they are organizing the way they are releasing invitation invites for Harvard Immunology. I have not heard anything from them, so hopefully you are right and they are slowly sending invites :)

As for Yale Immunology, I actually received the interview invite last nigh at 10:30 PM EST which is so late. I'm not sure if they sent the invites all at once or like you mentioned for Harvard Immunology, by batches.

47 minutes ago, Prayforphd said:

Congrats! Same question as others, what program did you apply? BTW, is this like the informal notification from the department because the website said they will send out invites on Jan.9th. 

I think they just sent me an informal invite. The official invitation should be sent from the home program in January.

3 hours ago, immuno.virology said:

I misspoke, mine actually came out at 2:30 PST like shockadeli (I was just estimating before I hadn't actually checked). So it seems like they sent them all out at the same time, but I could be wrong. Hopefully you get one if there's more coming!

1 minute ago, greendgreenday said:

I think they just sent me an informal invite. The official invitation should be sent from the home program in January.

What is an informal invite? Can you share with us what it said? Does it mention in-person or virtual?