2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

I just received an email from Notre Dame saying "Applicants who were notified of their status and completed the registration process are on the finalist list." Since I was not invited to interview I assume it's a rejection but I simultaneously doubt the small cohort size lol. The final result will be made on Feb 24. 

Just now, lesleyzhanggg said:

I just received an email from Notre Dame saying "Applicants who were notified of their status and completed the registration process are on the finalist list." Since I was not invited to interview I assume it's a rejection but I simultaneously doubt the small cohort size lol. The final result will be made on Feb 24. 

well it says "If you did not receive a notification or if you were notified and did not register, we will move your application to our waitlist." so probably it's a wl.

15 minutes ago, lesleyzhanggg said:

well it says "If you did not receive a notification or if you were notified and did not register, we will move your application to our waitlist." so probably it's a wl.

Also not being invited. Is it possible for us to contact the DGS to know how high we rank on the "waitlist"?

Btw what does the DGS mean by "finalists"? Are they already offered an acceptance or what?

6 minutes ago, butlerianjihad said:

I also received the same mail from Notre Dame. The language is confusing imo. Do you think they sent the same e-mail to all the applicants? It would be impossible for everyone to be on the waitlist so I am taking it as a rejection. 

Feels like a generic mail to all the applicants. My understanding is that if any of these finalists eventually decides to ditch the virtual visit before Feb 9-10, the admission committee will move "waitlisted" applicants accordingly to fill the vacancy. Anyway, it is disappointing on the committee's part to be so evasive about their procedures. You'd expect more decent behavior from a prestigious Catholic institution. 

34 minutes ago, Obscurepun said:

Does anyone have predictions for Berkeley, Michigan and UCSD? I believe they typically release early February but am not sure if that would be this week or next. Anxious of the waiting game!

I can tell Michigan has compelled their final short list, but I'm not sure about whether they'll send out offer letters this week.

Although I like The grad Cafe's tongue-in-cheek member rankings based on caffeine level, not having had a full night's sleep since the beginning of the decision cycle makes me think that a ranking based on sleep deprivation levels would be more fitting, something like beauty sleeper < nevernapper < eight mate < sixthejinx < zombie. Have a long night ahead and just mumbling, something should come from UIUC today, that's according to them, not me. 

I hate that I'm here refreshing my email, the grad cafe admissions page, and this forum in a sort of tricyclical, manic fashion. Have prohibited myself from refreshing the portals themselves. Ughhhhhh

24 minutes ago, politicallygrad said:

deafening silence. this is absolute shit show. 

Edited by marxford
comma mistakelol

I applied to 12 PhD programs and haven't heard a thing from any of them. Do most uni's send out acceptances and rejections first though? Like, if you haven't heard anything yet and some people have received rejections, that means you're kind of being waitlisted even if you haven't gotten an email saying that? That wouldn't be so bad I guess. Or I'm completely wrong, idk. 

Also someone said that UT Austin was sending out responses, right? I still haven't gotten anything, and I'm not even really sure if my app's being reviewed; I had a really stupid issue where I couldn't submit one of my transcripts (basically study abroad transcript, not main education) and I was told my application would be reviewed anyway even if the system wouldn't allow me to submit. It's been marked as "incomplete" ever since though, and I hope they didn't just throw it out.

Edited by iskander

52 minutes ago, iskander said:

I applied to 12 PhD programs and haven't heard a thing from any of them. Do most uni's send out acceptances and rejections first though? Like, if you haven't heard anything yet and some people have received rejections, that means you're kind of being waitlisted even if you haven't gotten an email saying that? That wouldn't be so bad I guess. Or I'm completely wrong, idk. 

Also someone said that UT Austin was sending out responses, right? I still haven't gotten anything, and I'm not even really sure if my app's being reviewed; I had a really stupid issue where I couldn't submit one of my transcripts (basically study abroad transcript, not main education) and I was told my application would be reviewed anyway even if the system wouldn't allow me to submit. It's been marked as "incomplete" ever since though, and I hope they didn't just throw it out.

It depends on the program. Some programs, like Michigan, seem to send acceptances and rejections at the same time. Others, like Emory, send rejections first. Still others, like Duke, send acceptances first.

Some programs have many rounds of rejections. Others have only one. You could look up the trends for your programs by going to https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?program=Political+Science Then click "advanced search" and search for the name of your universities. It looks like UT Austin calls their program "government", so adjust the search accordingly.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you had with Texas. That's definitely annoying. I hope things work out for you! It's stressful, I know. Fortunately, it seems like many programs haven't released yet, so good news could come soon. To put things in perspective, I applied to 19 programs and only heard from 2 (though I assume I was rejected at Duke based on the results here). The rest of this week and February should see more activity. Let's hope for the best!

Edited by TerribleTowel

19 minutes ago, TerribleTowel said:

It depends on the program. Some programs, like Michigan, seem to send acceptances and rejections at the same time. Others, like Emory, send rejections first. Still others, like Duke, send acceptances first.

Some programs have many rounds of rejections. Others have only one. You could look up the trends for your programs by going to https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?program=Political+Science Then click "advanced search" and search for the name of your universities. It looks like UT Austin calls their program "government", so adjust the search accordingly.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you had with Texas. That's definitely annoying. I hope things work out for you! It's stressful, I know. Fortunately, it seems like many programs haven't released yet, so good news could come soon. To put things in perspective, I applied to 19 programs and only heard from 2 (though I assume I was rejected at Duke based on the results here). The rest of this week and February should see more activity. Let's hope for the best!

Thanks for the info! but damn, 19 programs?? I felt like I had no life for months and was going way overboard with 12 lol, good on you for putting in that much work, hope it pays off :)