2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

6 minutes ago, anonymousvulture said:

Try the MIT living wage calculator: https://livingwage.mit.edu/

I don't think it is a very accurate tool for grad students because our lives tend to he a little cheaper depending on the location. For instance, if you're in a city with good public transit, you're not spending a gazzilion dollars on gasoline and stuff, unless you really want a car. But as a rule of thumb, I *think* that whenever your stipend covers this living wage expenses it is a pretty good stipend. But I'd love to hear more about that; I'm not american, these are just my impressions

editing to say: for instance, Chicago's UPass allows you to use public transportation for a full quarter for around USD 130, I think. It works for all universities in the area, I think. Urbana-Champaign is said to be a city with pretty decent public transportation options for a city of its size. D.C. you can ride the subway/bus for a semestre for USD 100. etc

Thank you! Do you know if our stipends are taxed? I'm also an international student, the US way of things feels very dizzy rn lol 

7 minutes ago, Senochka said:

I talked to the DGS yesterday regarding the late arrival. of my scores, he said they did not consider GRE this year anyways, and he will have more information regarding the admission process in "the coming weeks". It might mean that only one or two offers are sent and the majority of applications are still under review or it might mean that they have sent out acceptances and will send rejections later. I think the former is more likely, seeing only one offer from UIUC on this forum would be weird considering previous data, this is, of course, given that other people besides you and me also applied there. Still, I believe they have not sent all acceptances yet.

Thanks! In the coming weeks is a bit disappointing in terms of the wait, but that's probably good news overall since I agree with you that it seems unlikely they've already sent out all the acceptances then. I was just worried since I figure maybe not as many people here applied to UIUC compared to other schools, what you heard makes more sense though! 

54 minutes ago, ctb33 said:

Did you hear anything more confirming Illinois was sent out? I haven't seen anything about them since then and wasn't sure if acceptances were delayed or went to people not on this forum

From what I understand, Illinois admits will come individually and through the end of March. You may or may not be notified if you're waitlisted, but Illinois recruits heavily from its waitlist, so there's a good chance of receiving an offer, even if you haven't heard anything yet. Don't lose hope!

8 minutes ago, foxcarnival said:

From what I understand, Illinois admits will come individually and through the end of March. You may or may not be notified if you're waitlisted, but Illinois recruits heavily from its waitlist, so there's a good chance of receiving an offer, even if you haven't heard anything yet. Don't lose hope!

Are you talking about the U of Illinois at Chicago (UIC)?

22 minutes ago, foxcarnival said:

Thank you! That's great to hear. If I don't hear back soon, do you know if it's beneficial (or at least not detrimental) to send a brief email out to the DGS reaffirming my interest and checking whether my application is under consideration or somewhere on their informal waitlist?

4 hours ago, Senochka said:

This is for anyone waiting on UChicago, do you have any idea about when the results might be released and what's their pattern: all at once, rejections or acceptances first, subfield by subfield?

On a different note, I saw a question about Georgetown interviews posted recently, but cannot find it now, I think like Notre Dame, Georgetown interviews shortlisted applicants - I was not interviewed during a previous cycle, and got waitlisted, this was for McCourt though - and those of us who did not get an interview invitation can expect rejections or waitlists moving forward. However, rummaging through previous years' data, I also realized that they sometimes send out one or two more acceptances towards the end of the cycle. I assume it's to fill places left open from admits committing to somewhere else, and those late admits will come from the waitlist pool. Something like that. This assumption is based on previous cycles' data and my experience though, someone else might have expectations differing radically from mine. So, you can take it with a grain of salt.

McCourt has a separate admissions office and practices than the rest of Georgetown.

I have a question from those accepted to Berkeley IR (or any other top 15 poli sci school). How was your quantitative background? I have a very strong qualitative background (worked as an RA, managed a researched lab, did field research, publications, two masters, great GPA and GRE, and lots of international experience). However my quant background was not very strong as I was applying from law. Just wanna know what was wrong with my application to make it rights next time :(:(

16 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

McCourt has a separate admissions office and practices than the rest of Georgetown.

Guessed so, it's why I said take it with a grain of salt, but the data about previous years seems in line with such an expectation.

Give it time! Most of the top 15 schools have not released results yet. My background is almost exclusively qualitative with exceedingly little quant and I’ve received a few offers so far. I think that faculty fit and the level and depth of your research agenda are going to be your strengths. Good luck!

1 hour ago, qampus said:

That very recent BU rejection is mine. Received an email two 

I was checking my email box nervously and I also received rejection email from Boston University; Comparative Politics and applicant from non-US University. First rejection; not a good start :( I was thinking that If Boston University rejects my application; it is more likely for other universities to send rejections to my application; Boston was one of the universities which at least have some knowledge about the universities in Turkey ?

3 hours ago, juliacar said:

We’ve only heard of that one waitlist, so we don’t really know 

Hi, I'm the waitlist from BU. I got the email at 9:13 am Eastern. Comparative subfield. BU is the only communication I've received from any school. Still waiting on CUNY, Columbia, Cornell, Brown, Georgetown, GW, UofChicago, JHU, Princeton, and Northwestern. Apparently Georgetown is sending out interview requests now but I haven't heard anything.

Edit: US applicant from US institution. Did not submit my GRE scores and I am a graduating senior in undergrad.

Edited by ariesacorn

1 hour ago, FrickinPolisci said:

I have a question from those accepted to Berkeley IR (or any other top 15 poli sci school). How was your quantitative background? I have a very strong qualitative background (worked as an RA, managed a researched lab, did field research, publications, two masters, great GPA and GRE, and lots of international experience). However my quant background was not very strong as I was applying from law. Just wanna know what was wrong with my application to make it rights next time :(:(

I have an offer from a top 10 school for now, and I assume my quantitative background is not strong as well. I have no significant quant experience other than some RA experiences that involve some basic quant reasoning. I have just taken an intro-level statistics course. I have high GRE Q score though. I am assuming it depends a lot on your field. If you want to do behavior, probably they will take the quant background a bit more seriously than if you want to do theory.