2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

5 minutes ago, PolPsychGal11 said:

Hi - I'm a current assistant prof, and was on the market twice, both times I got a TT job (I moved up after my first job). This is patently not true. The market is tight, and people take whatever job they can get. Going to school on the east coast does not make it more likely that you'll get a job on the east coast. If anything, this works slightly in reverse: many schools in the middle of the country are skeptical of graduates of highly-ranked coastal schools. Sometimes this is an unfair assumption, other times it is based on making an offer and being burned. 

For those with multiple offers to consider: you need to have a good fit with your potential program, but you also need to go to a highly ranked program. I've lurked on this site for a while, and am always torn about weighing in when people are apply to poorly ranked and poorly regarded schools. Taking 5-6 years to do a PhD at a not great school might be an ok option if you want to go into industry (though there are significant opportunity costs), but it is just not a good idea if you have you dreams set on entering academia. I'd encourage you all to read this as you consider acceptances and what decisions to make: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2022/12/07/faculty-member-issues-dire-warning-grad-students-about-jobs

Thanks for weighing in. I should nuance my answer - I did not mean to suggest that someone at a lower ranked school would be better able to compete for *all* jobs in a region based on where they went to school. I only meant that for applicants applying for jobs of equal prestige/desirability (especially if coming from lower ranked schools), they will probably fare better within the region. My family background is in academia, but I'm from the Midwest, so what I say may be more true of schools in the South/Midwest

2 minutes ago, okiedokie..... said:

claiming an Emory offer - email came at around 2pm EST 

Was waiting from 1/7 to today. Glad they finally released the result ? Such a relief! Guess from now on trying not to check DGA/DGS's twitter - it's really scaring to see they are processing the results ?

Wow this is the next level of anxiety. I'm so glad it didn't occur to me to do this, because I absolutely would have.

35 minutes ago, icedamericanopolitics said:

Claiming Berkeley! Call didn’t come until around 7 pm Eastern, still haven’t gotten an email or anything in my portal. No info on funding or anything else, just verbal offer from POI.

Congratulations! Which subfield did you apply for?

New here, but just got waitlisted by Berkeley via an informal email from a prof on the admissions committee. They said that they want to keep me on the list so they can admit me if they "gain approval to admit more students" into the program. Said they won't know more until early- to mid-April, and because they think I'm an excellent candidate I likely may have accepted elsewhere by then.

Does anyone know the odds of getting off a waitlist like this? And is this kind of explanation genuine or is it just standard fluff trying to keep me interested in case they reach me on the waitlist? Thanks for your help!

Came here to warn any women or people of color who are considering UMass as their decisions will go out in the next week or two. It (both the department and the rest of the campus) is a very dangerous place to be a woman or a person of color. The department politics are incredibly toxic aside from 2 faculty members who are very supportive.

6 hours ago, Aztec said:

Soooo thrilled!

International, CP, email some minutes ago...

My Congratulations to you and other applicants who got admission from Berkeley :)I didn't apply for Berkeley but out of curiosity, did you get your Master degree from American University or outside? My professor at my home university had told me that it's generally difficult to get admission from Berkeley for applicants applying from non-American universities. That's why I've wanted to ask.

Congrats to all our friends who got their much awaited results from Berkeley! Hope other UC campuses will release their results too this week. 

Good luck everyone! 

4 hours ago, PolGrad said:

My Congratulations to you and other applicants who got admission from Berkeley :)I didn't apply for Berkeley but out of curiosity, did you get your Master degree from American University or outside? My professor at my home university had told me that it's generally difficult to get admission from Berkeley for applicants applying from non-American universities. That's why I've wanted to ask.

Hey @PolGrad. I didn't know about this "feature". I do have a MA from an American university.

I think it is a good path to get a masters in the US before the PhD. One has time to get used to the language and requirements, and also the chance to get LoRs and so on... At least that was my plan (it seems to have worked) :D