2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

Claiming a Brown rejection as well. I anticipated it as it was a tough sell for me in the first place in terms of fit and rank. Add to that my poor quant GRE score. I'm an older candidate with 15+ years of extremely related IR experience, an MA from a top 30 school with a ton of quant/methods courses and a mixed-methods writing sample leveraging survival models. I wasnt going to go back and spend a bunch of time studying math subjects like geometry that I havent taken in 20 years and wont use in IR to get a good GRE score when 99% of the schools that are a good fit for me dont require it. 

3 minutes ago, PolGrad said:

I have begun to assume that UMichigan would reject my application, I am Comparative Politics sub-field but I didn't receive any email.

i feel like only ap or ir applicants claimed...still waiting lol

14 minutes ago, poliscigradhopeful said:

Do any of you have advice on finding a research-oriented position where I can boost my resume and hopefully reapply. I'm starting to lose hope on this application cycle, but I cannot afford to do a Master's in hope of that boosting my application and really would prefer to just do some kind of RA type work.

https://www.poliscirumors.com/   I know this is mostly for people that have been doing a phd in poli sci, but you can take a look. Occasionally there are pre-doc positions posted.

5 minutes ago, poliscigradhopeful said:

Do any of you have advice on finding a research-oriented position where I can boost my resume and hopefully reapply. I'm starting to lose hope on this application cycle, but I cannot afford to do a Master's in hope of that boosting my application and really would prefer to just do some kind of RA type work.

Not that I am one to give advice or someone people should listen to given I am leaving one PhD for another because I ended up with an untenable fit but if you don't want to do an MA to boost your application, I would suggest pouring your time into your own work rather than someone elses. I have done the academia thing and think tank world for a while and would say that as related as some other research oriented positions may seem, there is no substitute for just going it alone and submitting or publishing your own solo peer-reviewed work. 

2 hours ago, macshmai said:

https://www.poliscirumors.com/   I know this is mostly for people that have been doing a phd in poli sci, but you can take a look. Occasionally there are pre-doc positions posted.

that website is a cesspool (but occasionally helpful if you can sift through the trolls)