2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

8 hours ago, politicallygrad said:

Congrats! Did they hold an interview

AP acceptance from cornell, and I had no interview

(acceptance: umn, duke, stony brook, and cornell, rejection: umich, princeton, awaiting: stanford, northwestern)

Edited by tyiac5525

2 hours ago, Obscurepun said:

@Aztec I am currently employed in a different field (and have been out of undergraduate for some time) so I knew I would only get one shot at applications and applied quite broadly! Go big or go home (but literally in my case haha)

That's pretty much my story. Years working and then coming back to academia (happily).

Absolutely happy with the cycle, but still two to go. 

1 hour ago, Aztec said:

That's pretty much my story. Years working and then coming back to academia (happily).

Absolutely happy with the cycle, but still two to go. 

Just asking for curiosity, wasn't it difficult to return to academia after working in another sector; especially taking the competitiveness of the PhD applications into account? From which professors could you request LORs; for instance or were your Letter writers from non-academic sectors? 

4 hours ago, Obscurepun said:

@Aztec I am currently employed in a different field (and have been out of undergraduate for some time) so I knew I would only get one shot at applications and applied quite broadly! Go big or go home (but literally in my case haha)

Also my question for you :) Just asking for curiosity, wasn't it difficult to return to academia after working in another sector; especially taking the competitiveness of the PhD applications into account? From which professors could you request LORs; for instance or were your Letter writers from non-academic sectors? 

12 minutes ago, PolGrad said:

Just asking for curiosity, wasn't it difficult to return to academia after working in another sector; especially taking the competitiveness of the PhD applications into account? From which professors could you request LORs; for instance or were your Letter writers from non-academic sectors? 

Hey @PolGrad, I took the longer path: moved to the US for an MA, got to know people, built a network (LoRs), showed some potential to do research + learned a lot... My assessment was that I wouldn't be competitive (enough?) without this intermediary step...

@PolGradIt was painful to work a very time intensive job while applying for grad programs. Luckily I love IR and learning generally so didn’t mind studying for the GRE much- it actually helped reinforce my desire to be a life long learner and enter into this profession to begin with. I asked LOR from my graduate school- I don’t think I would recommend employers because they can’t speak to your academic abilities unless you are employed in research. I made sure to connect with professors back last May to begin conversations about academia and to help me along the process. My mentality is maybe I’ll get “no” because it is so competitive now adays but I’ll let them tell me that. I am not willing to reject myself.

6 minutes ago, Aztec said:

Hey @PolGrad, I took the longer path: moved to the US for an MA, got to know people, built a network (LoRs), showed some potential to do research + learned a lot... My assessment was that I wouldn't be competitive (enough?) without this intermediary step...

Yes, I understand :) I had the chance to come to the US for master but it coincided with the pandemic in 2020. That's why my family was really worried and I couldn't go. At which university did you have the chance to get your MA degree? 

2 minutes ago, Obscurepun said:

@PolGradIt was painful to work a very time intensive job while applying for grad programs. Luckily I love IR and learning generally so didn’t mind studying for the GRE much- it actually helped reinforce my desire to be a life long learner and enter into this profession to begin with. I asked LOR from my graduate school- I don’t think I would recommend employers because they can’t speak to your academic abilities unless you are employed in research. I made sure to connect with professors back last May to begin conversations about academia and to help me along the process. My mentality is maybe I’ll get “no” because it is so competitive now adays but I’ll let them tell me that. I am not willing to reject myself.

You were lucky that your professors in the US helped you during the application process; sometimes they may not so reluctant to help for the applicants who returned to academia.

30 minutes ago, Obscurepun said:

@PolGradDefinitely lucky - I had some incredibly supportive professors to encourage me through the process (several of whom had similar backgrounds of coming into academia after a hiatus). They definitely are the type of Professor that I aspire to be like in my own career.

FYI, with the gradcafe logo partially covering your profile picture, it now reads as "Nothing is popsicle" which is very depressing on here lmao 

1 hour ago, QuantPoliSci said:

FYI, with the gradcafe logo partially covering your profile picture, it now reads as "Nothing is popsicle" which is very depressing on here lmao 

I was so confused for so long about that profile picture XD It finally all makes sense lol

2 minutes ago, Hazel C said:

Anyone heard from Rutgers, Georgetown and Pittsburgh? 

Should I assume my rejections? 

I saw at least one acceptance from Pitt on the results page, and people claimed both acceptances and waitlists from GTown here. With the latter, I could not discern any pattern that might help you shape your expectations though, more acceptances/waitlists can be on the way, or it can be all rejections going forward, I don't know.

4 minutes ago, QuantPoliSci said:

I got an odd email from Pitt's IT department today asking me to set up an applicant account thingy cause there would be a decision soon. Weird. 

Interesting. But during the Application period; didn't the Department send you a link or an email for setting up an applicant account?

Edited by PolGrad