Washington, DC and Maryland suburbs

Guest c2d2

Just noticed you might be going to Georgetown. As you didn't mention living there (cost of living is completely ridiculous!), you might look into Arlington (on the orange line) because the metro ride will be short and the rent won't be as bad. I would also try looking at neighborhoods with direct bus lines to Georgetown because the metro is quite a walk to the school (Georgetown is between Rosslyn and Foggy Bottom - you can see the wide expanse! :P), though it can be done. Here's the link to the bus maps: http://www.wmata.com/bus/maps/ Also check out the Circulator http://www.dccirculator.com/ It has 2 routes going to Georgetown and it only costs $1 to use.

I wouldn't even consider using a car there unless you enjoy obscene amounts of traffic and absolutely terrible parking.

Good luck!

If GWU is the school of choice, is having a car there going to be outrageously expensive? I know nothing about housing in that area and if most rentals come with (safe) parking. I guess most students live in MD or VA. How is grad student housing in those areas?

Hello,

i've been reading up on housing posts for living in the DC and MD areas, but had some more specific geographic regions which i was interested in and has not been answered yet it seems.

i'll be going to Catholic Law, then AU for grad school and was thinking about living in the northeast of DC around the law school or in the MD suburbs such as Silver Spring. i've been reading that the northeast of DC is a bit "under-served" in terms of amenities and things to do. I've also read that it's relatively quiet and a safe area to live in.

anything close to transportation, relatively safe place to live in, some restaurants, pubs/bars, and not so quiet area is my goal (not looking for sth like Dupont or Adams--perhaps a step down from that) as i will not have a car and will rely solely on bus, subway. is a bike necessary by the way if going to different places such as around the city?

i will be living with my girlfriend so costs will be split. my budget:

total monthly rent: 900-1200

utilities: are they usually included in the rent DC or MD? if not, what is a reasonable range? i am assuming somewhere between 60-100...

any intel on a number of reasonable places to live close to Catholic Law in DC or MD suburbs that fits this apt mthly rent budget would be much appreciated. Thanks so much for any info!

I'm moving from Cleveland to DC to start at American in the fall. I'm mostly looking at things in the central NW part of the city, since the Tenleytown/Cleveland Park/Cathedral Heights area is less than ideal. The neighborhoods I'm looking into are Columbia Heights, Petworth, Adams-Morgan, Eastern Market (SE), and Brookland. I stayed with my friend, who lives in Arlington, over the weekend, and the area around Arlington Courthouse-Rosslyn is pretty nice. There are shops, restaurants, grocery stores, a movie theater, etc. and the Orange line is right there. It took me about 0minutes (including a delay) to get from Arlington to Tenleytown.

I was hoping that those of you who are more familiar with DC than I am could provide some insight on a few neighborhoods. I am moving with girlfriend at the end of the summer. She is in the running for a full-time position (*fingers crossed*), and I will be getting my master's at American University. Her *potential* employer is located near McPherson Square (orange line), and American is in Tenleytown (red line). I will be selling my car, so we are looking for an apartment in a walkable, younger-feeling neighborhood that provides good proximity to at least one of those metro lines. We aren't looking to get a roommate, so we'll need a 1-bedroom for undre $1,500 a month.

Would anyone be able/willing to rank these neighborhoods based on which ones you think are best and/or most likely to fit our needs?

Adams Morgan

Brookland

Columbia Heights

Mt. Pleasant

Petworth

Thanks.

Congrats on the move! As you already know, DC has an enormously expensive COL, and places like Dupont and Adams Morgan are especially pricey as they are the hub of DC's nightlife. Frankly, I always find going to Adams a P.I.T.A. since the metro stop isn't as close to everything as it could be, although the walk isn't UNMANAGEABLE (I just wouldn't do it if I was grabbing groceries or something). You should try looking for places that are outside of the city but still on the metro line, as as long as you can get to a metro, you can get around DC pretty easy. DC was recently rated the worst city for traffic in the country, but I've driven in LA and NYC as well and I think they're way worse, but if you don't already have a car I wouldn't get one for this move.

Sorry I can't give you more specific information on alternatives - I've only ever lived at home here so I'm not sure what the housing market is like, although I do know that it flat-out sucks.

BTW, I'm sure you've heard it before, but STAY OUT OF ANACOSTIA. I think there was a 70 person fight in the metro at Chinatown last summer but it might have been a different stop. Here's a little video that you'll probably find funnier once you get out here:

Welcome to DC!

Hello! I have just decided to make the move from Miami, FL to Washington, D.C. I'm very excited but know that cost of living is very expensive in D.C. (and higher than in Miami). I've looked through the forum but can't seem to find a place where the talk is specifically about D.C. So I have a few questions for anyone who is able to answer them:

(1) Where are some good (and safe) places to live? I've heard good things about Dupont and Adams Morgan. What should I expect to pay in these areas?

(2) Is it recommended to not have a car in this area?

(3) How good/bad is public transportation?

Thanks in advance for any advice :-)

- Nervous about DC -

On 4/18/2011 at 10:19 AM, HandsomeNerd said:

how far is silver spring from georgetown?

Kinda far (depending on what you're used to commuting, I guess). Not in terms of miles to cross, but in terms of traffic or trains / buses to use... I'd say about 1-1.5 hours. You could take the metro from Silver Spring to Union Station (about 15min), and a Circulator bus from Union Station to Georgetown (can't remember how long), which gets you right in the middle of Georgetown. Or you take the metro from SS to Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn (about 40min) and walk (more than a bit) or grab a bus (5-10min). I don't know how long it would take to drive, especially since it could vary a lot depending on the day and time of day.

On 4/19/2011 at 1:46 PM, tkovach05 said:

I was hoping that those of you who are more familiar with DC than I am could provide some insight on a few neighborhoods. I am moving with girlfriend at the end of the summer. She is in the running for a full-time position (*fingers crossed*), and I will be getting my master's at American University. Her *potential* employer is located near McPherson Square (orange line), and American is in Tenleytown (red line). I will be selling my car, so we are looking for an apartment in a walkable, younger-feeling neighborhood that provides good proximity to at least one of those metro lines. We aren't looking to get a roommate, so we'll need a 1-bedroom for undre $1,500 a month.

Would anyone be able/willing to rank these neighborhoods based on which ones you think are best and/or most likely to fit our needs?

Adams Morgan

Brookland

Columbia Heights

Mt. Pleasant

Petworth

Thanks.

Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, and Mt Pleasant are adjacent to each other (you probably knew that).

Adams Morgan = depends on exactly where you are, but something on the red line is closest, trendy neighborhood (i.e. expensive), but closest of your choices to McPherson Square and American (AU is kinda lonesome - most students leave the neighborhood for their fun)

Brookland = Brookland / Catholic U station (red), immediate area around Catholic U is alright but getting closer to NY Ave station (red) isn't great, rent will be cheaper than Adams Morgan and probably on par with Columbia Heights

Columbia Heights = Columbia Heights station (green / yellow), recently revitalized so rents are going up, pretty much everything you need is here (even a Target! not saying you need that, just saying they put EVERYTHING in here)

Mt Pleasant = hipster heaven, similar feel to Columbia Heights (perhaps less "commercial" feeling now) but metro is further away, so rent might be cheaper

Petworth = Petworth / Georgia Ave station (green / yellow), probably the cheapest of your selections, not as far along in the process of revitalization, more "up-and-coming"

If you want to get cheap and see more of the city, look for places to live on bus lines that will go to your school / job. The bus is $1.50 (with SmarTrip, which you will obviously get!), and trains are more expensive and fares tend to increase more. Buses also conveniently have free transfers that last 2 hours, so some round trips can be made on a single fare. Plus, neighborhoods close to metro stations tend to be more expensive.

If you go outside DC...

I would forget about the western end of the red line (Bethesda / Friendship Heights are closest) entirely because they're all expensive and some areas aren't very walkable (or attractive, depending). If you venture the other way on the red line, Silver Spring and Takoma Park (TP is half in DC, half in MD) are often cheaper than the places on your list. Forest Glen (not exactly close to stuff) / Wheaton / Glenmont aren't as pretty, but are do-able if you want to save on rent. MD on the green line isn't as nice (stay north if you do look into it), but cheaper. Prince Georges Plaza has a lot of amenities to offer now, but is not the pleasant walkable typically "DC" neighborhood you're probably dreaming of. Stay out of the blue / orange MD side (somewhat near the Anacostia area - tho Anacostia is technically on the green line - that another person posted about - and let me add that Chinatown isn't near Anacostia). If you are inclined, Arlington (blue / orange VA side) is loved by many, wouldn't be outrageously expensive, and would provide relatively easy commutes for both of you. Of course, much of it isn't as pretty and "DC-like" as the neighborhoods you're considering. In fact, I think NoVA is mostly crappy looking (think 1960s-80s plain-government-monstrosity type buildings, obvious exceptions being Alexandria and old single family home areas of Arlington).

On 4/7/2011 at 12:22 AM, flotsam said:

If George Washington U is the school of choice, is having a car there going to be outrageously expensive? I know nothing about housing in that area and if most rentals come with (safe) parking. I guess most students live in MD or VA. How is grad student housing in those areas?

I wouldn't keep a car for GWU. I don't know about housing in that particular area, but it's close enough to Georgetown (Foggy Bottom station is in the middle of the campus) to make me believe it's probably really expensive.

Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, and Mt Pleasant are adjacent to each other (you probably knew that).

Adams Morgan = depends on exactly where you are, but something on the red line is closest, trendy neighborhood (i.e. expensive), but closest of your choices to McPherson Square and American (AU is kinda lonesome - most students leave the neighborhood for their fun)

Brookland = Brookland / Catholic U station (red), immediate area around Catholic U is alright but getting closer to NY Ave station (red) isn't great, rent will be cheaper than Adams Morgan and probably on par with Columbia Heights

Columbia Heights = Columbia Heights station (green / yellow), recently revitalized so rents are going up, pretty much everything you need is here (even a Target! not saying you need that, just saying they put EVERYTHING in here)

Mt Pleasant = hipster heaven, similar feel to Columbia Heights (perhaps less "commercial" feeling now) but metro is further away, so rent might be cheaper

Petworth = Petworth / Georgia Ave station (green / yellow), probably the cheapest of your selections, not as far along in the process of revitalization, more "up-and-coming"

If you want to get cheap and see more of the city, look for places to live on bus lines that will go to your school / job. The bus is $1.50 (with SmarTrip, which you will obviously get!), and trains are more expensive and fares tend to increase more. Buses also conveniently have free transfers that last 2 hours, so some round trips can be made on a single fare. Plus, neighborhoods close to metro stations tend to be more expensive.

If you go outside DC...

I would forget about the western end of the red line (Bethesda / Friendship Heights are closest) entirely because they're all expensive and some areas aren't very walkable (or attractive, depending). If you venture the other way on the red line, Silver Spring and Takoma Park (TP is half in DC, half in MD) are often cheaper than the places on your list. Forest Glen (not exactly close to stuff) / Wheaton / Glenmont aren't as pretty, but are do-able if you want to save on rent. MD on the green line isn't as nice (stay north if you do look into it), but cheaper. Prince Georges Plaza has a lot of amenities to offer now, but is not the pleasant walkable typically "DC" neighborhood you're probably dreaming of. Stay out of the blue / orange MD side (somewhat near the Anacostia area - tho Anacostia is technically on the green line - that another person posted about - and let me add that Chinatown isn't near Anacostia). If you are inclined, Arlington (blue / orange VA side) is loved by many, wouldn't be outrageously expensive, and would provide relatively easy commutes for both of you. Of course, much of it isn't as pretty and "DC-like" as the neighborhoods you're considering. In fact, I think NoVA is mostly crappy looking (think 1960s-80s plain-government-monstrosity type buildings, obvious exceptions being Alexandria and old single family home areas of Arlington).

Thank you! Your information is extremely helpful and thorough. I stayed with my friend in Arlington, so I wouldn't have a problem with the Arlington Courthouse/Rosslyn/Ballston area; it's at least walkable and feels fairly young. I've found a few apartment buildings that seem within reason in Columbia Heights & Petworth, so maybe something will work out there. I actually bought a SmarTrip while we were in DC, so I've got that taken care of. I accidentally when into the red on my last trip in the city though (I'm a whopping -0.90) so I need to get that squared away before moving back.

If George Washington U is the school of choice, is having a car there going to be outrageously expensive? I know nothing about housing in that area and if most rentals come with (safe) parking.

carolinesays, thanks for rundown so far!

i'd like to hear your thoughts on the question above, but for gtown instead of gwu.

Edited by HandsomeNerd

I am also interested in knowing about housing options near GWU. The on campus housing is for $10,770 and does not include food. If one considers living there, approx. how much would one have to shell out on living expenses- dining, bills etc. (assuming a modest living; no drinking and smoking).

Hi,

I'm moving to D.C. this fall and want to get a lease signed hopefully by June. I'll be attending American University and I was wondering if anyone who lives in D.C. or around the AU area can help give me recommendations for apartments to live in.

I want to live near school however I've been told it's really expensive. I'm open to living in other areas around D.C. as long as it is a relatively easy and short commute to AU.

I'm looking for a safe area that's under $1,500 and not a basement or a room in someone's house. Thanks so much in advance I really appreciate it!

On 4/23/2011 at 8:54 AM, HandsomeNerd said:

carolinesays, thanks for rundown so far!

i'd like to hear your thoughts on the question above, but for gtown instead of gwu.

Georgetown - so pretty! So expensive! All those important people in one place!

Gtown and GWU are pretty close to each other - they share a metro stop (Foggy Bottom), although Gtown is at least a 20 minute walk from it - and kinda uphill (the next closest stop is Rosslyn, across the Key Bridge in VA). So, really for Gtown your choice is to 1) live in the thick of it, 2) live reasonably close to a metro stop and become a fan of long walks or additional bus rides, or 3) live on a bus line that goes straight into Gtown. I don't know what the school offers in terms of shuttle buses. UMD has an extensive network of them, so maybe Gtown does too - it would make sense! :)

Bus-wise, a lot of the D & G buses that go to Gtown's campus come from expensive neighborhoods as well. Check em out on wmata's DC bus map: http://www.wmata.com/bus/maps/ You might try a neighborhood along one of the Circulator lines (Circulators are cheaper - only $1 vs $1.50 with Smartrip, and still accept transfers, AND they come about every 10 minutes, which is pretty awesome, but the downside is they stop running around 9pm). You'll see on the map http://www.dccirculator.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=11 that the yellow and aqua colored lines go to Gtown, and that the other Circulator lines crossover in some areas.

Arlington might be a good choice for you too. You have be careful about your searches in Arlington though, much like other cities in the area (Silver Spring is another example), the city of Arlington is huge! You need to make sure you're picking something near a metro, or at least a decent bus stop. Clarendon is a metro stop on the orange line in a pretty vibrant area, but others nearby are also good.

I suppose what I really want to say is that you can live in a lot of places and still get where you need to go. It might be easier to decide depending on your "scene." If you favor more conventional neighborhoods, they'll be more expensive, but closer to Gtown (stuff around Friendship Heights (border of MD) / Bethesda (MD) / Adams Morgan / Dupont / Cleveland Park / Arlington). Not to say that everything in those places is straight-laced - certainly not! Dupont is both conservative and wildly liberal at the same time (home to many embassies and drag queens alike). If you're more "indie," you'll like being in Columbia Heights, Petworth, Mt Pleasant, U Street Corridor...if you're very "crunchy," you'll dig Takoma Park. Eastern Market and Capitol Hill are interesting - a cross between very wealthy and some rather poor sections - parts of it wonderfully beautiful alongside parts than still look a bit rundown. It's technically SE though, which is a no-no on some people's lists. My dad is a retired DC firefighter, and not to freak anyone out, but he had a lot of bad stories about fire stations in SE (probably beyond the Capitol Hill section). But things are changing, and many of the places I've mentioned were considered bad neighborhoods until a few years ago. Even where I live in Silver Spring was unfathomable to me 10 years ago.

Maybe some of these blogs might help you decide:

http://dcist.com/

http://www.princeofpetworth.com/

Good for figuring out what to do in DC:

http://www.culturaltourismdc.org/ (look for walking tours! if you visit, a walking tour might help you decide)

To compare what I've said to my actual situation (and let you gauge what you find against my hometown): I live in a 580 square foot studio apt in SS. I'm a 5-7 minute walk from the metro / tons of buses (due to construction - we're getting a new library and a travel depot thing next to the metro), close to tons of places to eat, 2 movie theaters (AFI, anyone?), Whole Foods, Safeway, Giant, and all my utilities are included for $1140 / month. This will sound crazy to some people and pretty damn reasonable to others. I refuse to live in a swankier place (or have a separate bedroom) because I don't see the point. I have a pool and a gym in my building - what more do I need? :) For the people who are looking to pay $1500 or less for an apt that's not part of a house, you'll probably end up a little further from the metro than you'd like, and you'll need to live in a less ritzy neighborhood, but it's entirely do-able. I don't know if you'd really want to travel all the way from SS to Gtown or GWU - you'll probably find the equivalent to what I have in Arlington and have a happier commute. But if your heart is set on a neighborhood in DC, go for it! There are so many lovely places to live, and so many things happening everywhere.

Almost forgot - I noticed some people were wondering about living expenses in general. I don't have a lot of amenities that others can't live without, but we're all gonna be grad students, right? We're used to this :P

I use Netflix instead of cable ($10/month). I have a pay-as-you-go phone (I am THAT cheap - I have unlimited texting for $15 / month cuz what the hell - that's what Skype is for :P). I have no car, and pay about $100 / month of public trans (using the metro a couple days a week, but mostly using the bus). My renter's insurance is about $130 / year, cuz $20,000 was the lowest I could go. I don't smoke, don't go to bars too often (couple times / month ish?). However, I go out to eat A LOT and I like to buy groceries at Whole Foods (I spend just as much at Safeway because I'm not buying all junk food so I might as well stick to Whole Foods). I easily drop $600-700 / month on groceries and eating out (this is WITH my bf - so it would be less for someone on their own, and a lot less for someone who is conscientious about cooking at home more often). Of course, most of my purchases are in MD, where sales tax is 6%. The 10% tax in DC feels enormous! VA is 3%...just FYI. My eating habits are going to change considerably once I'm in school! Everything else is almost as low as I'm willing to go :)

I know I've repeated myself a bunch throughout this forum - just trying to put all the vital info in the response. Hope it helps to clarify the picture in your mind - I'm doing the same thing - except for cities in the UK! Finally, living in the same place for almost 30 years pays off :P

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is going to GMU, I'd take a look at Masonvale, it's right next to the campus and while they have decided to pretty much change everything on my lease next time I renew, I couldn't find a better deal for the area. Now if I could just find another roommate to move in :-P

Hey - forgot to mention H Street! It's still sort of under construction (the trolley lines that were ripped out decades ago are going back in), and you have to take a bus (or a cab or drive) to get anywhere, but it's only about 10 minutes by bus to Chinatown, and there's a free shuttle going to and from Chinatown in the evenings. Chinatown is sort of a transportation hub because you're at the red, green, and yellow lines, and a short walk from Metro Center which is the red, blue, and orange lines (that's covers them all!). It's also a 5 minute walk to the mall and the major sites of DC.

So, you might want to check out H Street because it's undergoing a revival and already has all sorts of great bars and restaurants http://hstreet.org/

Palace of Wonders, H Street Country Club, Sticky Rice...all awesome. It's still kind of a gritty looking neighborhood, but I hope this just translates into cheap rent.

Also, I didn't realize the Circulator was even better than I thought because a couple lines run til midnight weekdays and 2 or 3am on Fri & Sat, making it a great transportation option if you live or study or play where it goes. The other lines still stop around 9.

Is there anyone heading to University of Maryland College Park this fall? I am an international student joining the Organizational Behavior PhD program at Smith School of Business.

I am considering housing in Rockville, Silver Spring and Bethesda. Do you guys have any prior experience in these three areas?

Cheers!

If anyone is going to GMU, I'd take a look at Masonvale, it's right next to the campus and while they have decided to pretty much change everything on my lease next time I renew, I couldn't find a better deal for the area. Now if I could just find another roommate to move in :-P

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone heading to University of Maryland College Park this fall? I am an international student joining the Organizational Behavior PhD program at Smith School of Business.

I am considering housing in Rockville, Silver Spring and Bethesda. Do you guys have any prior experience in these three areas?

Cheers!

I'll be starting at College Park in the fall as an MLS student. I've lived in Silver Spring before--the downtown area is very convenient to grocery stores, restaurants, Metro, a few bars, etc. It sprawls beyond that and ranges from sketchy to okay.

I'm actually looking to live closer to campus---maybe Hyattsville or Adelphi, though I've heard the housing is a bit dumpier.

downtown Rockville, Silver Spring, and Bethesda are nice but expensive. You could maybe pull it off with a roommate or two, but not for under 700-800.

In fact, if you want to live *by yourself* anywhere in this area, and you don't want to live in a complete dump, you're looking to pay at least a grand.

I live in College Park (not luxurious but not unsafe) with two roommates and pay $650.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I are moving to the DC area this fall; he's starting a PhD program at College Park and I'm starting the application process to PhD programs, most of which are in the general area. Our dog, Theo, is also coming with us, so it has been difficult to find housing that we can afford between just the two of us. We are toying around with the idea of finding a third, maybe even fourth roommate, so that we are able to live in a house with (hopefully) big backyard. Theo is ridiculously sweet dog and very well behaved--as long as he has cheese and a tennis ball, he's on cloud nine. As a couple, we are laid-back and agreeable. If anyone is interested in sharing a house with us and Theo, let's talk: bojam00 at gmail dot com

anything close to transportation, relatively safe place to live in, some restaurants, pubs/bars, and not so quiet area is my goal (not looking for sth like Dupont or Adams--perhaps a step down from that) as i will not have a car and will rely solely on bus, subway. is a bike necessary by the way if going to different places such as around the city?

i will be living with my girlfriend so costs will be split. my budget:

total monthly rent: 900-1200

utilities: are they usually included in the rent DC or MD? if not, what is a reasonable range? i am assuming somewhere between 60-100...

any intel on a number of reasonable places to live close to Catholic Law in DC or MD suburbs that fits this apt mthly rent budget would be much appreciated. Thanks so much for any info!

Hi! My boyfriend and I, plus our dog, Theo, are also looking to rent under the same conditions as you and your girlfriend; however, we would really like find a place with a fenced in backyard for Theo, but it is out of our price range. My boyfriend is beginning a PhD program at College Park this fall, and I'll be working and (hopefully!) starting grad school next year. So, if you and your girlfriend are still looking and could entertain the idea of sharing a place with Neil, myself, and Theo, then let me know ASAP (bojam00 at gmail dot com), because we could rent a bigger, better place for $2400--i.e., $1200 (you) plus $1200 (us).

To give you an idea of the possibilities, I've found numerous houses/townhouses that have anywhere from 3-5 bedrooms and 2 baths in addition to a basement, a driveway and/or garage, and fenced-in yard; prices generally range from 1750-2400 (click here for an example). Utilities are generally not included and usually run $100-$150, though this varies by size. I don't think a bike is necessary for commuting around the city if you live within walking distance to the metro (which is a necessity for us).

If you would like more information, contact me (info above) and I can give you a better idea of who we are and some of the places I've found that fit the above description.

• 7 months later...

Gonna bump this thread... what are good areas on the blue or orange lines for GWU students on the Foggy Bottom campus? I know NOTHING about the area and am considering heading that way in the fall...any advice would be appreciated!

Hey Sarahmarie,

I live in Foggy Bottom but I know couple of friends who live by Virgina Square metro and they love it there. I also heard good reviews about Clarendon and Court House neighborhoods.

The key question is: do you want to live in the suburbs, away from the metro line, and have a car or do you want to live in DC proper? Anything on the Orange line from Ballston inward (Virginia Sq, Clarendon, Courthouse) are just as expensive as something in DC, so keep that in mind.

If you're going to be going to GW, and want to be on the blue/orange line look at Eastern Market or areas like that, which are cheaper and in the city itself. If you want to live in NW, then I would look at Columbia Heights, Mt. Pleasant or Petworth for places. The last places are all on the yellow/green line but are where younger people tend to live and are easy to get to Foggy Bottom via bus or metro.