Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

13 minutes ago, barbzbabez said:

does anyone have any updates regarding uc berkeley's medical anth program?

I interviewed on the 26th. Prof. Cohen said it will take them a week or two to decide on "1, possibly 2" candidates. From the results page it looks like two people have already been accepted. But I don't know how much I should trust it?

[In other news.. I got my Duke acceptance this morning. So relieved! I was just about descending into a frenzy lol]

25 minutes ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

I interviewed on the 26th. Prof. Cohen said it will take them a week or two to decide on "1, possibly 2" candidates. From the results page it looks like two people have already been accepted. But I don't know how much I should trust it?

[In other news.. I got my Duke acceptance this morning. So relieved! I was just about descending into a frenzy lol]

Thank you for the update!!  It is insane how Berkeley's program only has the funds to accept 1-2 students per year. Best of luck to you! If not acceptance, waitlist perhaps? Congrats on Duke :)

1 hour ago, barbzbabez said:

Thank you for the update!!  It is insane how Berkeley's program only has the funds to accept 1-2 students per year. Best of luck to you! If not acceptance, waitlist perhaps? Congrats on Duke :)

Thank you! I'm so glad Duke came through. I am finally able to think about this admissions drama with some clarity. 

And yeah the joint med anthro program has limited funds. The admissions alternate between UCB and UCSF. Given my interests, I was lucky that this admission cycle was UCBs admission year.

But UCBs sociocultural anthro program has funds for at least 4-5 people a year I think. 

Edited by substitutemeat2022

13 minutes ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

No idea! I wrote to Prof. Hamdy who redirected me to the graduate program directors, Profs. Zhan and Kim. I wrote to them this morning... no response just yet.

Please let us know when they respond. That's the only place I applied to so I got a lot riding on this ?

5 hours ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

Thank you! I'm so glad Duke came through. I am finally able to think about this admissions drama with some clarity. 

And yeah the joint med anthro program has limited funds. The admissions alternate between UCB and UCSF. Given my interests, I was lucky that this admission cycle was UCBs admission year.

But UCBs sociocultural anthro program has funds for at least 4-5 people a year I think. 

Any update on the socio-cultural track? Haven't received any interview invite yet. Are all interviews done?

58 minutes ago, himy_95 said:

Still nothing from Yale for anyone?? They sure are taking their sweet time lol

Looks like everything is a bit more delayed this year. Anyone hear anything from Stanford Cultural Anthropology by the way? I know there's a post about an interview for Archaeology but I haven't seen anything else just yet. 

1 hour ago, bealice77 said:

wow congratulations!! I still have not heard back anything... I guess it's over for me :(

Yes unfortunately it looks like things are moving fast since last night with campus visits being scheduled in March.  I know it burns.  TRUST ME! This is not my first round.  What are your other options.

i have heard nothing from Stanford.  Nor Berkeley nor UC Irvine.  I’m pretty sold on Brown as my work is really a great fit.  But I’m curious if ill get a hit at USC.

5 minutes ago, TinCanBaby said:

Yes unfortunately it looks like things are moving fast since last night with campus visits being scheduled in March.  I know it burns.  TRUST ME! This is not my first round.  What are your other options.

i have heard nothing from Stanford.  Nor Berkeley nor UC Irvine.  I’m pretty sold on Brown as my work is really a great fit.  But I’m curious if ill get a hit at USC.

I'm curious what did Brown say over the phone! Did they schedule campus visits for March, which means that all acceptances have already gone out? 

This is the second round for me as well... last year wasn't good either, but I only applied to two last year. This time I went all out with twelve programs. So far, rejected by 3, waiting on the rest. And this process has been mentally draining, but I'm trying to stay hopeful. 

3 minutes ago, bealice77 said:

I'm curious what did Brown say over the phone! Did they schedule campus visits for March, which means that all acceptances have already gone out? 

This is the second round for me as well... last year wasn't good either, but I only applied to two last year. This time I went all out with twelve programs. So far, rejected by 3, waiting on the rest. And this process has been mentally draining, but I'm trying to stay hopeful. 

Phone call was congratulatory.  Yes March is it.  My decision letter loaded in the system this morning.

i think this is my third round. Fourth if I count when I tried to stay on in my masters to continue working with my pi. I first was applying to Anthro of Ed friendly programs then switched back over to social sciences and this year ten Anthro program applications.  I think I’ve got three rejections so far too.

i also took a long break to work. So there was time for me to get the itch to apply again after the burn.

27 minutes ago, TinCanBaby said:

Phone call was congratulatory.  Yes March is it.  My decision letter loaded in the system this morning.

i think this is my third round. Fourth if I count when I tried to stay on in my masters to continue working with my pi. I first was applying to Anthro of Ed friendly programs then switched back over to social sciences and this year ten Anthro program applications.  I think I’ve got three rejections so far too.

i also took a long break to work. So there was time for me to get the itch to apply again after the burn.

It's nice to see other people that have gone through multiple cycles! It bolsters my spirits a little. This is my second round, and I have a feeling that I'll have to go through a third.

I saw someone post acceptance to Toronto, and I haven't had any updates, so I probably didn't get in T_T 

Still holding out a little hope though. It was a Canadian applicant who posted, and I'm international, so maybe there's a difference in when results go out. The game isn't over yet until the actual rejection email comes through!

1 minute ago, GradR2D2 said:

It's nice to see other people that have gone through multiple cycles! It bolsters my spirits a little. This is my second round, and I have a feeling that I'll have to go through a third.

I saw someone post acceptance to Toronto, and I haven't had any updates, so I probably didn't get in T_T 

Still holding out a little hope though. It was a Canadian applicant who posted, and I'm international, so maybe there's a difference in when results go out. The game isn't over yet until the actual rejection email comes through!

It really is not over till it’s over.  Part of the reason I tried again, twice was because folks spoke to me about their rejection cycles.  We have to normalize how strange and unpredictable it all is.

18 hours ago, Skier94 said:

Are there any schools that accept without interviews or do most schools interview ?

It depends on subfield - typically interviews for sociocultural, linguistics, ect are common. I'm in arch and interviews are a lot less common and really depend on school. I know Michigan only interviews sociocultural, for example.