Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

10 minutes ago, YPPPPP said:

Pton has already sent out interviews? I guess I am out hahah

Maybe I am delusional, but I am still holding out hope. They have not done interviews historically speaking aside from last year ?

Edit: Maybe they have done interviews, but I have seen plenty of people say they were accepted without notice/interview in previous years

Edited by barbzbabez

13 hours ago, barbzbabez said:

Maybe I am delusional, but I am still holding out hope. They have not done interviews historically speaking aside from last year ?

Edit: Maybe they have done interviews, but I have seen plenty of people say they were accepted without notice/interview in previous years

You don’t have to believe me. But they have done interviews (they were roughly two weeks ago)—but like you say that doesn’t mean you can’t still get in.

Edit: no indication when results will release though. Seems like a waiting game.

Edited by Anthropocene
More info

11 minutes ago, Anthropocene said:

You don’t have to believe me, doesn’t impact me. But they have done interviews (they were roughly two weeks ago)—but like you say that doesn’t mean you can’t still get in.

Edit: no indication when results will release though. Seems like a waiting game.

I believe you 100% and wish you all the best of luck!!! I was just telling the other user that historically speaking people have been admitted into Princeton with and without interviews. Princeton is one of the few programs where not getting an interview is not a silent rejection. The other user seemed discouraged and I wanted to tell them that there is still hope until a rejection is received! :)

Edited by barbzbabez
added "the few"

4 minutes ago, barbzbabez said:

I believe you 100% and wish you all the best of luck!!! I was just telling the other user that historically speaking people have been admitted into Princeton with and without interviews. Princeton is one of the few programs where not getting an interview is not a silent rejection. The other user seemed discouraged and I wanted to tell them that there is still hope until a rejection is received! :)

That’s very fair! Hopefully we all get in & can some great work. I prob won’t get in even with the interview lol, but that’s ok I have one offer so at least this cycle going better than first time!

Hey y'all, 

I recently received my first rejection of the season and contacted my potential advisor about it to get some insight. They said that my application was very strong, but that they decided that they didn't want to admit any students after I had already applied. The potential advisor said that there were other things happening in the department that caused them to change their mind about accepting students. Because I paid the expensive application fee with the expectation that I might be able to work with this person (you know, because they said that they were accepting students), would it be out of the question to ask the DGS or someone else in the department for a refund for my application fee?

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated! 

1 hour ago, anthromf said:

Hey y'all, 

I recently received my first rejection of the season and contacted my potential advisor about it to get some insight. They said that my application was very strong, but that they decided that they didn't want to admit any students after I had already applied. The potential advisor said that there were other things happening in the department that caused them to change their mind about accepting students. Because I paid the expensive application fee with the expectation that I might be able to work with this person (you know, because they said that they were accepting students), would it be out of the question to ask the DGS or someone else in the department for a refund for my application fee?

I think the application fee is non-refundable but you can write to the DGS. Also may I ask which school is this

1 hour ago, anthromf said:

Hey y'all, 

Usually, there is already a policy in place regarding application fees. I don't know about the university you applied to, but most of the time, when you submit there is a checkbox that says smtg along the lines of "this isn't refundable". 

I would look around the department/university website to make absolutely sure, but I would not expect a refund to be possible unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, Anthropocene said:

That’s very fair! Hopefully we all get in & can some great work. I prob won’t get in even with the interview lol, but that’s ok I have one offer so at least this cycle going better than first time!

Hi Friends! I know someone who got their offer yesterday from Princeton. Unsure if they had an interview (I don't think so) and unsure how they were notified etc etc. but we're pals and they let me know, so that's the only thing I've heard. 

One question I'd ask is whether (aside from UCLA, which appears to have a fairly clear policy of no interviews) it is frequent at any school for an applicant to be accepted without any interaction with faculty.  I think it's not uncommon for students who communicate with a POI informally prior to applying (or after, I suppose) to get admitted without a formal interview.  The prior interaction seems to be a sufficient substitute at least in some cases.  But how often does someone get accepted who has not communicated with faculty at some point? At UCLA the application seems to encourage interaction (they ask you who have you talked to, not just who do you want to work with).  Some schools discourage interacting with faculty, some encourage it, others are silent or say it doesn't matter, but whatever you do don't carpetbomb everyone in the department with an email. I wonder if it's possible to just apply, list faculty without interacting with them, and then get in without an interview.  My bet is that it would be infrequent with at most a few exceptions.

2 minutes ago, bleem7 said:

One question I'd ask is whether (aside from UCLA, which appears to have a fairly clear policy of no interviews) it is frequent at any school for an applicant to be accepted without any interaction with faculty.  I think it's not uncommon for students who communicate with a POI informally prior to applying (or after, I suppose) to get admitted without a formal interview.  The prior interaction seems to be a sufficient substitute at least in some cases.  But how often does someone get accepted who has not communicated with faculty at some point? At UCLA the application seems to encourage interaction (they ask you who have you talked to, not just who do you want to work with).  Some schools discourage interacting with faculty, some encourage it, others are silent or say it doesn't matter, but whatever you do don't carpetbomb everyone in the department with an email. I wonder if it's possible to just apply, list faculty without interacting with them, and then get in without an interview.  My bet is that it would be infrequent with at most a few exceptions.

I got into a doctoral program last year without contacting anyone in the department. I was interviewed though and it was recorded and shared with everyone in the department. It is infrequent but some sort of contact is kinds necessary. 

25 minutes ago, tkb32932333 said:

I got into a doctoral program last year without contacting anyone in the department. I was interviewed though and it was recorded and shared with everyone in the department. It is infrequent but some sort of contact is kinds necessary. 

Yes, agreed, I'm sorry, I wasn't saying one can't get in without prior contact, rather that it's either prior contact or an interview in some cases, so that people who report getting into a program "without an interview" may in fact have that prior contact count as their interview.  I guess I would be pessimistic about getting in without either, that is just mentioning who one wants to work with in the application, never approaching anyone, and then despite no interview after applying, still get accepted.  My guess is that the interview might be a way to avoid the whole informal and uneven prior contact process, like at U Chicago where they expressly tell people not to contact faculty, but seem to interview everyone they take. 

1 hour ago, bleem7 said:

Yes, agreed, I'm sorry, I wasn't saying one can't get in without prior contact, rather that it's either prior contact or an interview in some cases, so that people who report getting into a program "without an interview" may in fact have that prior contact count as their interview.  I guess I would be pessimistic about getting in without either, that is just mentioning who one wants to work with in the application, never approaching anyone, and then despite no interview after applying, still get accepted.  My guess is that the interview might be a way to avoid the whole informal and uneven prior contact process, like at U Chicago where they expressly tell people not to contact faculty, but seem to interview everyone they take. 

Yes absolutely! Though I am nervous about how much say the potential PI has in decision making processes. I was in touch with a PI last cycle and I was rejected by the school. This year I did the same and I haven't heard back anything yet. 

Fingers Crossed 

2 minutes ago, tkb3293 said:

I think the application fee is non-refundable but you can write to the DGS. Also may I ask which school is this

Okay, thank you. I figure there's no harm in just asking the DGS if I am really polite about it. I would never have applied to the program (at the University of Oregon) if I knew that the person I wanted to work with wasn't accepting students! 

48 minutes ago, anthromf said:

Okay, thank you. I figure there's no harm in just asking the DGS if I am really polite about it. I would never have applied to the program (at the University of Oregon) if I knew that the person I wanted to work with wasn't accepting students! 

Can I ask you what PI was it? I applied there too and got my rejection yesterday.

On 2/14/2023 at 7:12 PM, anthrokiddo said:

Did anyone who interviewed at Berkeley for sociocultural hear back from them?

I am once again asking if anyone’s heard from Berkeley (sociocultural) after their interview? I reached out to the professor who contacted me for the interview and she hasn’t written back. It’s been over three weeks since my interview and I am losing my mind ?

Would anyone happen to have an idea of how many people Berkeley typically interviews (not including the Medical Anthropology program)? This is the only school I interviewed with and my second cycle, so I'm just curious if there is actually a chance or if the short list pool is still quite large.

Last year I heard that they only took about 5 people because of funding issues, and my potential advisor wasn't able to provide any insight into the decision timeline unfortunately. Any insight would be great!!