Fall 2023 PhD Religion

steadygaze108

Just had an interview with the Divinity school at U Chicago. Don't think it went very well. If you interview with them, be prepared to talk about more than just your specific research project, but also big picture about how your intellectual interests hang together, the philosophical/conceptual questions that drive your work, and scholarly interlocutors with whom you might engage based on methodology in addition to topic. Perhaps that's common knowledge to most folks here (I hope it is!), but it was my first interview of the season and I definitely felt like I got tunnel vision and caught a little flat footed.

On another note, decisions from UVa are coming very soon; possibly later this week, next week at the latest.

1 hour ago, happinessjones said:

Just had an interview with the Divinity school at U Chicago. Don't think it went very well. If you interview with them, be prepared to talk about more than just your specific research project, but also big picture about how your intellectual interests hang together, the philosophical/conceptual questions that drive your work, and scholarly interlocutors with whom you might engage based on methodology in addition to topic. Perhaps that's common knowledge to most folks here (I hope it is!), but it was my first interview of the season and I definitely felt like I got tunnel vision and caught a little flat footed.

On another note, decisions from UVa are coming very soon; possibly later this week, next week at the latest.

What’s your Chicago field of study and POI’s?

Which subfield did you apply at UVA?

Just received my Yale rejection! (New Testament). This was expected because I did not receive an interview. I think I bungled my applications with poor statement of purpose letters. Now just waiting for a decision from PTS and I am on the waitlist at Baylor.

Hoping for the best for everyone!

13 minutes ago, BaruchHaShem said:

Just received my Yale rejection! (New Testament). This was expected because I did not receive an interview. I think I bungled my applications with poor statement of purpose letters. Now just waiting for a decision from PTS and I am on the waitlist at Baylor.

Hoping for the best for everyone!

I hope you get in somewhere!

12 minutes ago, steadygaze108 said:

I hope you get in somewhere!

Thanks! All things considered, I thought I was a good NT candidate, between grades and overall preparation. But I think my statement of purpose letters read like I was unsure of what I want to research and that I was generally unclear about why I was applying. Of course, this was not true, but still they were poorly written. I am already in the "lets improve this for next year" mindset. Graduating from Gordon-Conwell with my MTS this spring.

Edited by BaruchHaShem

30 minutes ago, methexis said:

I think they did some interviews in theological studies a couple of weeks ago based on a conversation with an applicant. I'm not sure about the other sub-fields.

Thanks! I know someone who interviewed for a different subfield (won't say which one for privacy), but according to this applicant, the committee said to expect results "mid-February."

1 minute ago, Shrimply Pibbles said:

Really not sure just yet. Lots to consider. Also, still waiting to hear back from PTS.

Isn’t it amazing that there were no choices last year? And this year, you do have some choices?

Just now, steadygaze108 said:

Isn’t it amazing that there were no choices last year? And this year, you do have some choices?

Yes! The difference between my *2020/2021 round of apps and this round is significant. The mentorship I've received from the incredible faculty at Candler/Emory over the past couple of years of this MTS program has made all the difference. It's really an incredible place.

Hello, did anyone else apply to Boston University Graduate Department of Religion? And if so have you heard anything from them? Or does anyone have any idea when one might hear from them. I cannot not find any info anywhere. They are the only one of my remaining schools I would really consider over my one acceptance and I am desperate to hear from them. TIA! 

On 2/20/2023 at 8:00 AM, RelPhDApplicant1 said:

Has anyone heard from the Princeton Department of Religion? 

I also applied and have heard nothing. But my friend told me her friend received an unofficial acceptance from her PI. She hasn’t received the official acceptance yet though but at this point I’m honestly just waiting for my rejection. 

4 hours ago, Julesjules23 said:

Hello, did anyone else apply to Boston University Graduate Department of Religion? And if so have you heard anything from them? Or does anyone have any idea when one might hear from them. I cannot not find any info anywhere. They are the only one of my remaining schools I would really consider over my one acceptance and I am desperate to hear from them. TIA! 

I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and received a rejection email last week.

***I applied to the school of theology, so they may be on a different timeline than the department of religion.

Edited by methexis

46 minutes ago, methexis said:

I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and received a rejection email last week.

***I applied to the school of theology, so they may be on a different timeline than the department of religion.

Thank you. I imagine the timelines are different but I don’t know. When was the school of theology application due?