Fall 2023 PhD Religion

steadygaze108

Hi All! I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself! 

I am currently at YDS, and this is my second application cycle. My concentration is NT/EC. Last year I didn't get into anywhere, but I did get an interview from Duke.

This year I am applying for Yale, Harvard, Duke, Brown, UNC, UVA, and Marquette. I had my interview with UNC last week and was told that I would hear back in late Jan.

Hoping for the best and best of luck to every one!

On 1/5/2023 at 8:22 PM, קהלת said:

At the risk of sounding a tad bit generic, I would encourage you to relax and just be yourself in the interview. Many people make errors because they try too hard to be what they think the admission's committee wants them to be or to say what they think the admission's committee wants them to say. Remember, you are interviewing them too, so the power does not rest entirely with them. If you have ever watched the show Shark Tank, you know that once the entrepreneur has made a compelling case for their product the Sharks have to compete for the affection of the individual who came on the show. If you are at the interview stage, they are already interested in your "product" - this is an opportunity for them to buy into you as a person. Also, they have a reason to sell themselves too. If you let them think they did a compelling job at doing that, their perception of you will be higher (basic psychology - we like to be liked, and we like those who like us). 

@Almaqah Thwn is definitely on to something with his advice about brushing up on the details of the department's website, and I would add that it can help to have a few well-formulated questions to ask them about their program that is not immediately available on the website (it helps you sound interested - see the point above). It can also be a nice touch to send a very brief email thanking the professors for interviewing you, but do not make it desperate or forced. 

Sorry for the delay, I was disconnected from the world for a bit. But thank you for your thoughts! They were super helpful when preparing for the interview.

On 1/10/2023 at 5:55 PM, Fiat said:

I hope your interview went well! Would you mind sharing which school that was? Thanks!

Honestly, I thought it went just okay, not great. But then I received an invitation for an on-campus interview. Oh, and btw, the interview was with the NT faculty at Baylor.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:36 AM, Chicago Guy said:

Have any other interview invites gone out?

I had one Zoom interview and was invited for an on-campus interview at Baylor.

On 1/2/2023 at 9:27 AM, קהלת said:

Current PhD student at a top-ten institutionjust curious to know who is applying for Hebrew Bible or New Testament. Happy to chat about interviews when the time comes. 

Hey there! I am applying to PhD in Hebrew Bible and have an interview scheduled. Super duper nervous. Any advice?

7 minutes ago, elizafranco said:

Hey there! I am applying to PhD in Hebrew Bible and have an interview scheduled. Super duper nervous. Any advice?

Sending a PM since advice will probably vary depending on where you are interviewing, and I imagine you do not want to disclose that publicly.

2 hours ago, Shrimply Pibbles said:

I got an AmRel interview at Northwestern. I haven't heard anything since then.

I applied to Stanford and Emory for AmRel and haven't heard anything. This is pretty much my last try so I'm really nervous

13 hours ago, elizafranco said:

What is your discipline? I'm waiting to hear back from Duke as well.

Duke's already finished their interviews I believe. I didn't get an invite so I am crossing it off my list now. Based on what I have been seeing from previous years they may release their decision next Tuesday. 

Edit: I was talking about their Early Christianity interviews. Not sure if other concentrations were doing interviews.

Edited by Fiat

38 minutes ago, Honey Y said:

I applied for PhD in Asian Religion at Emory. I’ve not received any rejection and interview mail. Is it good or bad? It’s my first round to apply, so I can’t guess anything.

I think it's too early for decisions: they seem to come by late February and early March - from what I can gather.

12 hours ago, Honey Y said:

I applied for PhD in Asian Religion at Emory. I’ve not received any rejection and interview mail. Is it good or bad? It’s my first round to apply, so I can’t guess anything.

Based on what I saw last year, Emory tends to send out their interview invitations and decisions on a rolling bases.

Edited by Fiat

On 1/23/2023 at 12:39 AM, Applicant_Rel said:

Hi! I wonder anyone has received interview invitations for Princeton, and if so, what subfield? Is interview part of the process for admission for the Asian religion track? Thanks!

Hi! I was wondering the same thing for Asian religion track for Princeton as well!

6 hours ago, sa1622 said:

Hello. Has anyone heard back from Yale Religion?

I know there is at least one Yale EMWAR interview today. I didn't get the interview so I am crossing it off my list now.