(Canada 2023) MPP/MPA Applications

sho.xo

On 2/16/2023 at 10:11 AM, rosethorn said:

Applied for:  Waterloo MPS, Carleton MPPA, Queen's MPA, and Simon Fraser MPS

Waiting to hear back on all of them.

Got accepted into Waterloo, Carleton, and SFU! Still waiting on Queen's, but I have accepted Carleton's offer.

Congratulations to everyone and best of luck if you're waiting to hear back! I would love to connect with the upcoming MPPA Carleton cohort and/or help with questions anyone might have. :) 

26 minutes ago, rosethorn said:

Got accepted into Waterloo, Carleton, and SFU! Still waiting on Queen's, but I have accepted Carleton's offer.

Congratulations to everyone and best of luck if you're waiting to hear back! I would love to connect with the upcoming MPPA Carleton cohort and/or help with questions anyone might have. :) 

Hey, I'm a Carleton MPPA alum. Happy to chat if you have any questions about the program, coop, etc. 

6 hours ago, BTF said:

Hey, I'm a Carleton MPPA alum. Happy to chat if you have any questions about the program, coop, etc. 

I’ve got an offer, but I have to complete 3 prerequisites (ECON 1001 and 1002 and PSCI 2003). Would you mind helping me out with a few questions?

1.    They recommend I complete the prerequisites before Fall 2023, so I’ll have to do them in Summer term. I have 2 months before summer courses start. Would it be possible for me to postpone and do the prerequisites in Fall instead of Summer and then start the program in Winter 2024?

2.    I know I can do the prerequisites on any university, but I’d like to do them at Carleton. 2 of those prerequisites are available in Summer, but one (PSCI 2003) is not. Any suggestions If I want to complete all 3 in Summer?

3.    Can I complete 2 of them in summer and then the other, not available during summer, in fall or winter term? 

4.    If you’ve taken any of these courses, did you find it difficult? I need a B+. I’ve seen they’re just one month courses, but I’d still like to know how difficult they are.

TIA!

7 hours ago, jeffgordon said:

I’ve got an offer, but I have to complete 3 prerequisites (ECON 1001 and 1002 and PSCI 2003). Would you mind helping me out with a few questions?

1.    They recommend I complete the prerequisites before Fall 2023, so I’ll have to do them in Summer term. I have 2 months before summer courses start. Would it be possible for me to postpone and do the prerequisites in Fall instead of Summer and then start the program in Winter 2024?

2.    I know I can do the prerequisites on any university, but I’d like to do them at Carleton. 2 of those prerequisites are available in Summer, but one (PSCI 2003) is not. Any suggestions If I want to complete all 3 in Summer?

3.    Can I complete 2 of them in summer and then the other, not available during summer, in fall or winter term? 

4.    If you’ve taken any of these courses, did you find it difficult? I need a B+. I’ve seen they’re just one month courses, but I’d still like to know how difficult they are.

TIA!

1. Yes, but I wouldn't. Take as many pre-reqs as you can this summer. The MPPA program is 14 courses (or the equivalent if you choose to do a major research essay or thesis). Fitting in extra courses is difficult. 

2. Take the ones you can at Carleton and the poli sci one elsewhere (check Athabasca, many students take their pre-reqs through them)

3. Yes. See answers 1 and 2

4. No. They're first/second year undergrad courses, they shouldn't be difficult for anyone beyond first/second year undergrad. 

For those like me still waiting on TMU, I reached out to the Program Administrator and I was told that the process has begun and will continue until the program has filled the available spots. So, not much new information. 

In my view, based on people's experiences from previous years and a few posts in this forum, it looks like the first round is likely over and once people decline, new offers will be made available. 

Good luck to all those still waiting. 

1 hour ago, Leo_30 said:

For those like me still waiting on TMU, I reached out to the Program Administrator and I was told that the process has begun and will continue until the program has filled the available spots. So, not much new information. 

In my view, based on people's experiences from previous years and a few posts in this forum, it looks like the first round is likely over and once people decline, new offers will be made available. 

Good luck to all those still waiting. 

Thank you for this update! Did you accept your MPPAL offer in the meantime?

@nevermindthespock Yes. I accepted the MMPAL offer. I could not get any further detail on where I am in the process from TMU so I did not have a choice.

It would be helpful if TMU could confirm if first round offers have been sent and/or if I am on a waitlist. But, I guess that they are not allowed to provide that type of information. 

Hello! I am nearing the end of my first year as a Carleton MPPA student. As many of you are considering/accepting MPPA offers, I am also happy to provide insight on what you can expect in your first year, how classes have been, what it is like coming in needing pre reqs (I had to do the two econs), co-op process, or just about anything! Many others have given excellent advice, but if you want a recent perspective from a current first year, I am happy to help out!

On 3/2/2023 at 4:14 PM, Red Tape said:

I'm happy to report that I've also been admitted to Carleton's MPPA with good funding + TAship. Fingers crossed for everyone waiting on admission results - I hope to hear back from a couple more schools too. 

Do you mind sharing stats a funding amounts?

Congrats to everyone on their offers! I got offers from CU, Queens and UofT. I received decent funding from CU (no TAship but I can apply later), no funding from UofT (not surprising) and Queens doesn't disclose funding info until June which is weird. Have to make a decision in the next 2 weeks or so 😭

On 3/7/2023 at 6:37 PM, prospectivegradstudent25 said:

Is anyone from here that has gotten accepted to Carelton - more specifically the NPSIA program, moving to Ottawa in the fall? just wanting to see if anyone is in the same boat as me, as im originally from Hamilton, planning on moving here for grad school <333 

I got accepted to the NPSIA! I am moving from Peterborough, happy to connect at any time!! 

On 3/7/2023 at 6:37 PM, prospectivegradstudent25 said:

Is anyone from here that has gotten accepted to Carelton - more specifically the NPSIA program, moving to Ottawa in the fall? just wanting to see if anyone is in the same boat as me, as im originally from Hamilton, planning on moving here for grad school <333 

Hi! Same boat as you! I got accepted into NPSIA and planning to move to Ottawa from the GTA area. Happy to connect with you and anyone else as well!

19 hours ago, lalax said:

Congrats to everyone on their offers! I got offers from CU, Queens and UofT. I received decent funding from CU (no TAship but I can apply later), no funding from UofT (not surprising) and Queens doesn't disclose funding info until June which is weird. Have to make a decision in the next 2 weeks or so 😭

I'm in the same boat as you. I was really looking forward to Queens to see what they offered but they're not releasing it until June?? how are we supposed to accept the offer without knowing if/what they offer 😪 I really wanna go to queens, but I cant risk my Carleton funding because maybe queens might give me something :(