(Canada 2023) MPP/MPA Applications

sho.xo

Hey guys!

I just signed up because I'm kind of worried about my application to NPSIA (DFP specialization. My status changed in very early Feb (like the second or third?) to "Review in Progress by Department" and it's been like that since then for a month now, no change at all in my specialization (still N/A).

Does anyone know if this is a bad sign? I've seen on Carleton's Grad Admission page that "Review in Progress by Department" can also mean I'm being considered for an alternate term, but I'm not sure if that applies to NPSIA because everybody starts in the fall. 

I'll update if/when I see any movement but for now this is killing me 😕 Anybody else in a similar position?

1 hour ago, charfre said:

I heard back from TMU this morning and was accepted! Just an email from the program director and $7000 in funding. Did anyone hear from Queens yet?

Still waiting on Queens as well but according to last year we should be hearing back next week for sure. 

1 hour ago, Leo_30 said:

That's great.

Did you apply to TMU before the date for first consideration (December 12)?

How long after the notification that your application was forwarded to the Program Admissions Committee for review, did you get the acceptance email?  

Thanks. 

I applied the last week of November and was told in early December that it had been forwarded to the department. I received an email from the program director this morning with my acceptance and was told to keep an eye out for an official offer from the graduate school. But nothing on the portal just yet. Hope that answers your questions!

On 3/3/2023 at 12:59 AM, JadeAdorner said:

I applied to USask, but the portal just closed yesterday so I do not expect to hear anything for a bit.

That's nice. JSGS has a great program. Since you are in Edmonton did you apply for the U Alberta program?

2 minutes ago, gweapons said:

That's nice. JSGS has a great program. Since you are in Edmonton did you apply for the U Alberta program?

I only applied to Thesis based programs so no. But I’ve heard good things about the placements you can get in the UofA program. 

1 minute ago, JadeAdorner said:

I only applied to Thesis based programs so no. But I’ve heard good things about the placements you can get in the UofA program. 

I have applied for the UoA program. I don't see many students here talk about it too.

1 minute ago, gweapons said:

I have applied for the UoA program. I don't see many students here talk about it too.

Likely because it's only a few years old.

On 2/16/2023 at 10:11 AM, rosethorn said:

Applied for:  Waterloo MPS, Carleton MPPA, Queen's MPA, and Simon Fraser MPS

Waiting to hear back on all of them.

Got into Waterloo MPS last week! Carleton has moved my status to, "review in progress by department." Still waiting on others to make my final decision :)

Hey guys, 

Congrats to everyone who got their offers, and to those who are still waiting or didn't get into where they wanted, chin up/there's always next year. This is my second year of applying. 

I applied to UBC, Carleton, McGill & TMU. I got an acceptance letter from both UBC and Carleton last Friday, and still waiting on McGill & TMU. Hoping to hear back from the final two soon. I'm leaning towards Carleton b/c of the funding and the program overall but we shall see. 

My east coast ass will finally be moving after 24 years lol.

Cheers! 😊

Edited by Liviloo98

It's interesting that there seem to be quite a few of us waiting on TMU - interesting that they don't seem to send many rejections at this time but I assume people are just "in the queue" based on whether people ahead of them accept or decline offers. It would be nice to have a definitive answer because then in my mind I could just commit to York lol. I'm also waiting on UVic (online) but I don't think I would go for it over York.

13 hours ago, Liviloo98 said:

Hey guys, 

Congrats to everyone who got their offers, and to those who are still waiting or didn't get into where they wanted, chin up/there's always next year. This is my second year of applying. 

I applied to UBC, Carleton, McGill & TMU. I got an acceptance letter from both UBC and Carleton last Friday, and still waiting on McGill & TMU. Hoping to hear back from the final two soon. I'm leaning towards Carleton b/c of the funding and the program overall but we shall see. 

My east coast ass will finally be moving after 24 years lol.

Cheers! 😊

Congratulations on your acceptances! And hope you hear back soon from the remaining schools soon :)  Do you remember when you submitted your completed application to McGill? I haven't heard anything from McGill since I completed my application in January! 

21 minutes ago, boyyoudontknow said:

Congratulations on your acceptances! And hope you hear back soon from the remaining schools soon :)  Do you remember when you submitted your completed application to McGill? I haven't heard anything from McGill since I completed my application in January! 

Thank you so much! I submitted my application to McGill in January as well- I think it was either the 3rd or the 4th. Hopefully we will find out soon 😊