Fall 2023 PhD Applicant Thread

cuppaon

I'm waiting for one last result from McGill, which will be out somewhere in March.

I have no idea if they'll accept me as their selection process is pretty opaque. 

So I feel you. It is torture to wait this long!

17 hours ago, DrMutt said:

Got a nice big fat rejection from UCLA's HEOC program this morning. Far from unexpected, but that was my second choice school. Still have not heard back from UCI (and I doubt when I do it'll be good news, seeing as I haven't had the mandatory interview). PULL THROUGH, UCR! It's my #1 choice school, but someone on the forums notified me that they got in touch with the program and they state they won't be releasing decisions until March or April. . .omg. It's deliberate torture, I swear!

How's everyone else fairing since our last check-in?

Pat pat. It is indeed a torture. I did not have UCI interview either. Already crossed it out from my application tracker. 

11 hours ago, eduforall said:

I'm waiting for one last result from McGill, which will be out somewhere in March.

I have no idea if they'll accept me as their selection process is pretty opaque. 

So I feel you. It is torture to wait this long!

Yeah McGill is notoriously slow. Just fyi, I recieved my MA admission from McGill on March 30th back in 2020, and I think in that cycle, there was an online meeting for all admitted PhD students on March 19th, so decisions must have been sent out before then. I did ask my thesis supervisor about the timeline and he said he's hopeful that this year decisions can be made in early March. 

Also just out of curiosity, do you mind sharing the initials of the faculty member whom you contacted for supervision? 

On 2/12/2023 at 10:13 PM, Sherbrooke6888 said:

Yeah McGill is notoriously slow. Just fyi, I recieved my MA admission from McGill on March 30th back in 2020, and I think in that cycle, there was an online meeting for all admitted PhD students on March 19th, so decisions must have been sent out before then. I did ask my thesis supervisor about the timeline and he said he's hopeful that this year decisions can be made in early March. 

Also just out of curiosity, do you mind sharing the initials of the faculty member whom you contacted for supervision? 

A.G.

Yours?

4 hours ago, angkuLC said:

Hi, is there anyone who knows some information about Quantitative Life Sciences or PhD Biology in McGill University?

Hi there! This forum is specific to the Education section of GradCafe, so none of us will likely know any updates about the programs you're inquiring about. If you go to Forums -> Scroll all the way down to "The Menu" subsection -> Click on "Biology" under the Life Sciences forums, you'll have better luck asking there!

Good luck! Hope you get into your dream program!

34 minutes ago, DrMutt said:

Hi there! This forum is specific to the Education section of GradCafe, so none of us will likely know any updates about the programs you're inquiring about. If you go to Forums -> Scroll all the way down to "The Menu" subsection -> Click on "Biology" under the Life Sciences forums, you'll have better luck asking there!

Good luck! Hope you get into your dream program!

Ohhhhh sorry, I thought education was not the major.

19 minutes ago, eduforall said:

Same here.

I'm waiting to hear from one last school in early March. 

I did get extra funding today from UB, which is amazing!

I can finally chill.

How is every one?

Congrats on UB! 

I’m still waiting on four schools!! Has anyone heard from UNC-CH, U South Carolina, UVA or UMaryland? I haven’t heard anything from all of them - not a peep about interviews, etc and there’s been no updates on the results board for these that I’ve seen. 

I’m pretty certain that I will be choosing NC State though :)

On 2/14/2023 at 3:28 AM, eduforall said:

A.G.

Yours?

Ah I think I know who that is. Mine is K.M. 

Also, I was talking to a PhD student yesterday during a writing retreat who happened to be on the admission committe. He told me that the committe met last week to make the final decisions. So we should probably get an update either later this week or next week! 

24 minutes ago, Sherbrooke6888 said:

Ah I think I know who that is. Mine is K.M. 

Also, I was talking to a PhD student yesterday during a writing retreat who happened to be on the admission committe. He told me that the committe met last week to make the final decisions. So we should probably get an update either later this week or next week! 

No way!! That's exciting! And scary! *unlock frantic page refreshing and paralyzing insomnia*

Thanks for the info though ;)

What PhD are you applying to? Mine focuses on language acquisition. 

Today I received email to check portal, I was admitted to UC Riverside's Education Studies Ph.D so I'm stoked.

I went to the UCSB Admit Day on Tuesday to visit campus and meet advisor, etc. 

I'm hoping to see if UCR will have a similar event. 

Still have not heard from UCI, UCSD, or UCD.

Edited by 911806a

18 hours ago, 911806a said:

Today I received email to check portal, I was admitted to UC Riverside's Education Studies Ph.D so I'm stoked.

I went to the UCSB Admit Day on Tuesday to visit campus and meet advisor, etc. 

I'm hoping to see if UCR will have a similar event. 

Still have not heard from UCI, UCSD, or UCD.

Congrats!!

56 minutes ago, eduforall said:

I'm losing my mind over these results..

I can't think of anything else but this last pending application that could change my life!

Am I the only one who obsessively refreshes this website and the application portal?

I am still obsessively refreshing this website and the portals for updates on UCI and UCSD. I know I am likely to be rejected, but I'd just like to know already what is happening.