MPH 2023 Canada

PHWarrior

Has anyone gone through a cycle previously without any offers and have any advice for what to do in the year after? and how you improved your application? I’ve received two rejections already and it’s looking a bit bleak 🥲 for reference, my average is ~87% throughout my four years, I have research experience with my honours thesis project and have done an internship at a community services centre for seniors. I have also been active with ECs and volunteering for a couple things (student council, blood donation services, peer mentor)

any advice would be appreciated! 

43 minutes ago, MPH2023applicant said:

Just got accepted to uOttawa MPH!

48 minutes ago, Theblessednight said:

I just got admitted too!! 

Congrats! Would you be comfortable sharing your stats?

Edited by soolp

6 minutes ago, soolp said:

For sure! I applied for the Public Health Policy stream, if that makes a difference. My passion is health policy work, sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), and international development. For academics, I had an 8.68/10 CGPA on the uOttawa grade scale and my program was Honours Bachelor of Health Sciences - Population and Public Health. First year killed my average, but after that year I didn't get less than an A- in a course. I got an A+ in my stats course and an A in my epi course. I graduated December 2022.

Work experience: federal government analyst roles - Science Advisor at Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Data Analyst at RCMP, and Innovation Analyst at Agriculture and Agri-food Canada

Research experience: research team assistant with Dr. Angel Foster's research group

Volunteering: Health Communications Writer with Farm Radio International, member of the Ontario Council for International Cooperation's Youth Policy Maker's Hub, Community Health Educator with YEP Education, and Content Writer for Sex[M]ed

Extra: I was a delegate for the UN's 67th Commission on the Status of Women (CSW67), an invited participant to the Oxfam x CCGSD Youth Summit on Comprehensive Sexuality Education, and was featured by the Inter-Council Network for International Cooperation for my work on Sustainable Development Goal 3: Good health and well-being. 

2 hours ago, soolp said:

Has anyone gone through a cycle previously without any offers and have any advice for what to do in the year after? and how you improved your application? I’ve received two rejections already and it’s looking a bit bleak 🥲 for reference, my average is ~87% throughout my four years, I have research experience with my honours thesis project and have done an internship at a community services centre for seniors. I have also been active with ECs and volunteering for a couple things (student council, blood donation services, peer mentor)

any advice would be appreciated! 

Hi! For some background info, this is my third time applying and got into 2 schools (got rejected from one and still waiting on two others). I took a certificate program at TMU to improve my GPA (so far I have a 4.1/4.3 average in it), and currently volunteer with different non-profits that focus on sexual health/gender-based violence (that's where my interests lie). I made sure to discuss my experiences and how they impacted my view on public health in my Letter of Intent and how the program at each school would benefit me. I also work in controlled substances, but I made sure to relate my current work experience to my interests. Hope that helps!

2 hours ago, soolp said:

Of course! I applied to the public health practice stream of the MPH+ (French). I'm just finishing up my biomedical undergrad, and my GPA when I applied was 9.50/10 (can't remember what that is on the 4 scale lol). I also got an A+ in both stats courses I included on the letter of intent.

My goal is to pursue a career in public health focused on developing and evaluating disease prevention measures. Overall, I want to get more familiar with preventive medicine and implementation of these strategies. I also noted in my letter that I was really excited about studying in Ottawa in general because of its location in the capital and the opportunities that could offer. Not to mention the language stream is a huge plus. 

I have experience as a research assistant at an occupational health research center and in a molecular biology lab. I also have management experience (nothing related to public health though) and have worked as a teaching assistant. On the volunteer side, I helped develop a digital literacy program during the pandemic, organize seminars for students to learn more about health risks in the workplace, amongst other volunteer experiences. 

If I missed anything or if you have more questions, feel free to reach out again!

1 minute ago, jinie said:

I am not too sure but for the health promotion stream I believe its around 45 seats

1 hour ago, mphing said:

does anybody know how many people Uoft epi and health promotion have in their cohorts?

Yeah around 45 seats and they typically get over 400 applicants. Not sure about epi stream though

5 hours ago, zxra9250 said:

Hi! For some background info, this is my third time applying and got into 2 schools (got rejected from one and still waiting on two others). I took a certificate program at TMU to improve my GPA (so far I have a 4.1/4.3 average in it), and currently volunteer with different non-profits that focus on sexual health/gender-based violence (that's where my interests lie). I made sure to discuss my experiences and how they impacted my view on public health in my Letter of Intent and how the program at each school would benefit me. I also work in controlled substances, but I made sure to relate my current work experience to my interests. Hope that helps!

Can I ask what certificate program you took at TMU?

Is anyone else's uOttawa application still under evaluation? On March 31st my status changed to "Your file is now complete. We will inform you as soon as a decision has been reached." However, as of today, my status changed back to

"Last update: 2023-04-05
We now have all the preliminary documents we need to evaluate your application for admission. No action is required on your part at this time. We will send you either an update or our decision via this portal once application has been evaluated. If we require any other information to complete our evaluation, we will get in touch with you."

Did this happen to anyone else?

Also, congratulations to everyone who has received admission so far!

6 minutes ago, hello123456 said:

Is anyone else's uOttawa application still under evaluation? On March 31st my status changed to "Your file is now complete. We will inform you as soon as a decision has been reached." However, as of today, my status changed back to

"Last update: 2023-04-05
We now have all the preliminary documents we need to evaluate your application for admission. No action is required on your part at this time. We will send you either an update or our decision via this portal once application has been evaluated. If we require any other information to complete our evaluation, we will get in touch with you."

Did this happen to anyone else?

Also, congratulations to everyone who has received admission so far!

Mine still is Under Evaluation. It hasnt reverted to the old message tho. My application did disappear for like an hour yesterday and my portal said "no application found" but it came back later. Did everyone have statistics courses completed who got in? I graduated in 2020 and the last time I took stats was in 2016 and I didnt do well so im wondering if that may have screwed me 😕

14 hours ago, MPH2023applicant said:

Anyone know the uOttawa MPH stats? How many seats and how many applications they usually get? (think it's 25 seats but that could be outdated information)

Last year they had over 600 applicants for under 30 spots (it’s usually been 25-26 seats per year). The competition is almost on par with their medical school.