PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

Just now, Qantu said:

Sure! I found it very helpful when participants from previous years shared their info. This is my first time applying but I prepared my application based on their profiles.

Admission offer: JHU Epi

Previous master: Yes, MPH - Epi

GPA: 3.9 (MPH)

Years of experience: 3 after masters (research, field work and policy in USA, LMICs and a UN related organization)

Pubs: 16 papers published (8 as first author and 1 was featured in the Lancet Global Health) and ~8 papers under review

Grants: 1 active where I am PI

Citizenship: International applicant

GRE: No

Happy to provide any other information if you send me a PM 😃

Tbh after reading this I don’t even feel bad anymore 😂😂WOW. 8 first author AND PI OF A GRANT. You’re the dream candidate. Welp now I’m like is that the standard. I’m international too! 2 first author and 7 other papers. No grants !! 😳. I’m PMing you NOW

Hello! For those who interviewed at Columbia (congrats!) - around what time did they say you would hear back? Did not get an interview but hope to get my rejection soon so I can move on.  

Also, has anyone applied to/heard back from McGill? I did see that someone got accepted back in January but haven't heard anyone talk about McGill in this forum. 

25 minutes ago, fightin4mylyf said:

Hello! For those who interviewed at Columbia (congrats!) - around what time did they say you would hear back? Did not get an interview but hope to get my rejection soon so I can move on.  

Also, has anyone applied to/heard back from McGill? I did see that someone got accepted back in January but haven't heard anyone talk about McGill in this forum. 

Hi there! I applied to Columbia EPI. I had my second round interview last week (and was told it would be the final round). They said they would try to move as quickly as possible regarding their decisions, and said generally at most ~ 2 weeks .... 

8 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

Hi there! I applied to Columbia EPI. I had my second round interview last week (and was told it would be the final round). They said they would try to move as quickly as possible regarding their decisions, and said generally at most ~ 2 weeks .... 

Rooting for you! I really hope you get it! 

Good to know that they want to move quickly. Hopefully I will get my rejection in early March! 

14 hours ago, aDrPH said:

I just heard back from UIC this week with an acceptance for the DrPH program. Communication is probably going out in waves

Congratulations 🎉 When did you apply?

Hi all,

Another lurker who finally created an account on Gradcafe. Thanks for all the valuable support and information these past weeks. Super impressed and inspired by everyone on this group and the amazing work all the public health champions here are doing!

If helpful for anyone, my contribution and current status:

Background: International, MD, MPH, 12 years global health experience in developing countries, 10 publications(2 as first author).

Applied for the DrPH: Indiana Uni, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, LSHTM

Accepted: Indiana, but no funding (need to reply by March 2nd)

Rejected: Harvard (after interview)

Results Awaited: JHSPH, LSHTM - unsure when to expect these.

Wishing you good luck and peace in these exciting times!

17 hours ago, fightin4mylyf said:

Hi! I also interviewed with Columbia and had the final interview last week, I think those results should be coming out in the next few weeks. 

Are you applying to the PhD in epi? I got into McGill a few weeks ago, but it doesn't seem like they do it all in one batch from my understanding! 

4 hours ago, Atila said:

Got an interview invite by UGA for DrPH program. Appreciate any tips by anyone who had done interview with them. ..

Congratulations🎉 How exciting!👏

👏🏽

Edited by BZG
Grammar

18 hours ago, HopefullyOptimistic said:

Has anyone applied and/or heard back from UC Berkeley's DrPH program?

I applied and haven’t heard back. Their website says it could be mid-March when you hear back or mid-April if someone doesn’t enroll after being accepted and your application moves up in their queue. *sighs*

Has anyone heard back from JHU PhD Health, Behavior and Society (Social and Behavioral Sciences)??

The portal says my application is still under review. However, I did see some rejections and waitlists on the results page. 

Hi, 

I am seeking some advice - do you think it would be appropriate to send my POI a paper that I’ve been working on that’s relevant to the program? We had a meeting before the application deadline and talked about our interests but I think this paper would strengthen my application. Please let me know what you think! 

4 hours ago, SBS24 said:

Has anyone heard back from JHU PhD Health, Behavior and Society (Social and Behavioral Sciences)??

The portal says my application is still under review. However, I did see some rejections and waitlists on the results page. 

Just got an email that I was rejected, so I think decisions are starting to come out!

On 2/20/2024 at 12:12 PM, mindymar1985 said:

Waitlisted for Harvard DrPH 

Hey! What do you think you did differently this time around? I'm impressed that you've made it further this time (hopefully all the way!)

I'm waiting on two other programs, but I keep coming back to this program. I'm debating whether or not to try again next year. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

On 2/21/2024 at 11:04 PM, aDrPH said:

Thanks! I applied a couple days before the application deadline

I applied late Dec..

Do you or anyone else know when all decisions will be out for UIC?

Edited by BZG

27 minutes ago, BZG said:

I applied late Dec..

Do you or anyone else know when all decisions will be out for UIC?

Decisions are definitely going out in waves. UIC gave a short deadline to respond, while other programs gave me until April 15th. They’ll probably have results go out throughout March.