PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

1 minute ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Itโ€™s so interesting that itโ€™s a timed release.. sigh. My heart canโ€™t handle this ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…

Well, I only hope for a WL at this point...

20 minutes ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Congratulations!! Did they notify you by email? Iโ€™m panicking nowโ€ฆโ€ฆ

Thank you! Yes, it was by email.

I understand you, I have been like that the last couple of days! Stay strong, I am sure the best will come your wayย ๐Ÿ™

Edited by Qantu

1 hour ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Congratulations!! Did they notify you by email? Iโ€™m panicking nowโ€ฆโ€ฆ

I applied to general track but I think qantu did cancer. I got an email from the faculty but my admissions decision is not on the portal. It may be by track then the next couple days we will get it on the portal. In my email, they provided all funding details as well including an in person visit for March 7th.ย 
ย 

Iโ€™m going to manifest everyone get into the program of their dreams! I donโ€™t know you personally but I do know the commitment to public health and youโ€™ll do wonders for the world. Take deep breaths, your time is just beginning!!

1 minute ago, manifesthb said:

I applied to general track but I think qantu did cancer. I got an email from the faculty but my admissions decision is not on the portal. It may be by track then the next couple days we will get it on the portal. In my email, they provided all funding details as well including an in person visit for March 7th.ย 
ย 

Iโ€™m going to manifest everyone get into the program of their dreams! I donโ€™t know you personally but I do know the commitment to public health and youโ€™ll do wonders for the world. Take deep breaths, your time is just beginning!!

Thank you for the details! I too applied for cancer track.. if itโ€™s by faculty I assume Iโ€™ll give it another day for the faculty they pair me with, to extend the email. Trying to be positive!ย 
ย 

thank you so much! Youโ€™re amazing. I wish you the best ๐Ÿ˜Šโค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

46 minutes ago, manifesthb said:

ย 

That's correct. I applied to the cancer track. Other than that, my case is similar to manifest. An offer letter with funding and visit information was attached to the email (sent from the Epi chair office). However, my portal hasn't been updated yet.

ย 

48 minutes ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Thank you for the details! I too applied for cancer track.. if itโ€™s by faculty I assume Iโ€™ll give it another day for the faculty they pair me with, to extend the email. Trying to be positive!ย 
ย 

thank you so much! Youโ€™re amazing. I wish you the best ๐Ÿ˜Šโค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

ย 

@Qantuย @manifesthbย huge congrats! You should be so proud of yourselves. any insight into the Hopkins epi phd funding? During my interview they just vaguely repeated the info session line of a "modest stipend" for the first two years. Any details on what that means? And what opportunities there are for funding after those years?

1 hour ago, beepboopbeep said:

@Qantuย @manifesthbย huge congrats! You should be so proud of yourselves. any insight into the Hopkins epi phd funding? During my interview they just vaguely repeated the info session line of a "modest stipend" for the first two years. Any details on what that means? And what opportunities there are for funding after those years?

hi! stipend is 27,144 for the first two years but will increase if NIH increases their level. The other two years will require funding via teaching fellowship awards, research assistantships, positions on institutional and faculty training grants, and an individual NRSA.

Edited by manifesthb

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has experience w/ reapplying to phd programs. I only applied to couple programs last year and thinking about reapplying this year or next year. ย I was rejected after an interview (my dream school!) and would like to see if anyone here has applied before and has a successful cycle this year. I hope to apply again to my dream school. Same program, same degreeโ€ฆ Perhaps getting interview invite again during reapplication cycle? Im mainly concern if the school will send another interview invite when they reapply (since I was already interviewed and rejected). Do you think admission committee negatively view reapplicants? Any insights will be greatly appreciated!ย 

Edited by publichealthresearch

15 hours ago, Healthresearch101 said:

I emailed somebody in Harvard's admissions team for the health policy PhD track. She said interviews were completed recently and decisions should be out end of February/early March. I'm saddened to say if you didn't get interviewed, it likely means they didn't move you forward in the admissions process (I didn't get an interview either and am assuming it's a rejection).ย 

Hopkins sent out decisions for HSR today as well (aka started off the week with a rejection which was mighty sad).ย 

Best of luck to everybody!ย 

I contacted several potential mentors and had two โ€œpre-interviewsโ€ before applying. This was for PHS PhD. They say interviews may be offered to some but are not required. Honestly not sure what to thinkโ€ฆfingers crossed as this is my top choice and a perfect fit for my interests and work thus far.ย 

8 minutes ago, MimiNMe said:

I contacted several potential mentors and had two โ€œpre-interviewsโ€ before applying. This was for PHS PhD. They say interviews may be offered to some but are not required. Honestly not sure what to thinkโ€ฆfingers crossed as this is my top choice and a perfect fit for my interests and work thus far.ย 

Iโ€™m still quite confused by what they mean by this - it is very ambiguous ๐Ÿ˜† I wish I could get a historic 2x2 table of admission status vs recieving interview statusย 

37 minutes ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Iโ€™m still quite confused by what they mean by this - it is very ambiguous ๐Ÿ˜† I wish I could get a historic 2x2 table of admission status vs recieving interview statusย 

Yeah, I want sure if maybe I didnโ€™t get an interview post-application because it wasnโ€™t necessary (I had 2 one-hour meetings with my POIs so maybe they didnโ€™t need to ask more questions), or if it was an indication that something changed after all apps were in, etc. No way to know so Iโ€™m choosing to be hopeful!ย 

January took forever and February is flying by. Only two more weeks till March!

ย 

I asked Tulane admissions when the DrPh should hear about decisions, this was the response:

As it stands, we anticipate all DrPH decisions for the Fall 2024 term to be rendered sometime in March. Given the amount of applications, I would speculate late March.

18 minutes ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

January took forever and February is flying by. Only two more weeks till March!

ย 

I asked Tulane admissions when the DrPh should hear about decisions, this was the response:

As it stands, we anticipate all DrPH decisions for the Fall 2024 term to be rendered sometime in March. Given the amount of applications, I would speculate late March.

I spoke with DrPH admissions at Tulane, and I was told decisions would be ready early March. I think itโ€™s so wild how admissions departments have non-standard responses to these questions. Cracks me up.ย 

Just now, Squashplayer000 said:

Yikes. Fingers crossed and good luck to all my fellow DrPH applicants.

Agreed! I hope everyone is hanging in there though. It will go by so much faster than any of us realize. I'm also happy to see everyone hearing back. It's nice to see all the updates.

New to the forum experience but I just found this group so helpful during the past few days of intense waiting!ย 

Has anyone heard about interviews for UC Berkeley or Columbia for EH? When I applied to Columbia, they said they didn't match you with an advisor until you got there, so I'm not sure what the interview process looks like. I'm assuming I would've heard about an interview from either of the two schools by now if I was making it to the next round.ย 

I got an offer from UCLA and interview from Harvard (waiting to hear back). I'm nervous because my acceptance at UCLA is trying to move forward and I don't have an answer for them yet. Not sure if anyone is in a similar position where they are trying to weigh their options and the schools are on totally different timelines! Also got a rejection from JHU yesterday.ย 

Good luck to everyone!!ย 

2 hours ago, PHD24 said:

New to the forum experience but I just found this group so helpful during the past few days of intense waiting!ย 

Has anyone heard about interviews for UC Berkeley or Columbia for EH? When I applied to Columbia, they said they didn't match you with an advisor until you got there, so I'm not sure what the interview process looks like. I'm assuming I would've heard about an interview from either of the two schools by now if I was making it to the next round.ย 

I got an offer from UCLA and interview from Harvard (waiting to hear back). I'm nervous because my acceptance at UCLA is trying to move forward and I don't have an answer for them yet. Not sure if anyone is in a similar position where they are trying to weigh their options and the schools are on totally different timelines! Also got a rejection from JHU yesterday.ย 

Good luck to everyone!!ย 

what program at harvard?