PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

22 hours ago, EpiApp24 said:

Does anyone know if we should give up hope if we haven't heard anything from UNC for epi? I know the email said decisions will go out through the end of March... but it feels so late and like most schools have gotten back to people. I've also seen a lot of acceptances for UNC already. 

Also, a friendly reminder to let schools you got into know if you won't be going as soon as you do! Obviously take all the time you need for your decisions, but if you're already 100% sure you're not going somewhere, letting them know could open up a spot for someone else :)

Hi, I have been wondering the same exact thing!! 

13 minutes ago, epi515me said:

Hi, I have been wondering the same exact thing!! 

The end of March feels so far away! And so vague...

It does look like in past years there were some acceptances in March but I wish they were more transparent about the process. Is it a good thing if you had an interview? Or is it completely neutral if you didn't? I feel like compared to other schools UNC has a lot more variation and unknowns about the process which makes it so stressful. I don't want to email admissions because I know that eventually I'll find out and I don't think they'll tell me anything useful, but waiting on UNC is killing me lol. 

More transparency around what's going on with their admissions process would be so nice. 

5 minutes ago, EpiApp24 said:

The end of March feels so far away! And so vague...

It does look like in past years there were some acceptances in March but I wish they were more transparent about the process. Is it a good thing if you had an interview? Or is it completely neutral if you didn't? I feel like compared to other schools UNC has a lot more variation and unknowns about the process which makes it so stressful. I don't want to email admissions because I know that eventually I'll find out and I don't think they'll tell me anything useful, but waiting on UNC is killing me lol. 

More transparency around what's going on with their admissions process would be so nice. 

I hear you! I did not get an interview but I thought that was okay since I met with the professor I wanted to work with in November to ask if they would endorse my application and they said they would and had the funding for my position. I think that made me go into the application season over confident. I feel very humbled now which isn't a bad thing I guess. 

9 minutes ago, epi515me said:

I hear you! I did not get an interview but I thought that was okay since I met with the professor I wanted to work with in November to ask if they would endorse my application and they said they would and had the funding for my position. I think that made me go into the application season over confident. I feel very humbled now which isn't a bad thing I guess. 

There's always a chance of getting in until you get an official rejection, and there might be other factors beyond anyone's control over whether or not someone gets in even if there is an advisor to sponsor you. I would say it's definitely a good sign that you had a professor say they would support you! Whether or not you get in, it means that there's someone who believes in your research ideas, and that they believe you have a successful career ahead of you. If you don't get in then you can always apply again next year! 

PhD admissions are super random. There are always more qualified applicants than spots for PhD students. It doesn't mean that those who get into schools shouldn't be extremely proud of their accomplishments (because there's so much to celebrate and be proud of!), but it does mean that if we don't get in it could have nothing to do with how well we'd do in a program, or how strong of an applicant we were. Maybe the person reading our applications was just having a bad day at the time they got to ours... You really never know. 

I'm curious if anyone else here is waiting on UNC or knows about the process. Or if anyone has been interviewed/talked to a professor ahead of time and still hasn't heard back, or is just waiting after hearing nothing since submitting the application. 

15 hours ago, HECON said:

I received an email regarding Admit Date(but it's not the invitation). I haven't heard back from UCI after the interview (hope I am still under consideration).

I just got a response from their admission staff, "Applications are still being processed, so make sure to keep an eye out for any updates on your applicant portal and any emails about admissions results (which are currently being sent out up until early March). We understand your concerns and we appreciate your patience during the application process. 

has anyone heard anything from Yale microbial epidemiology and Columbia’s epidemiology?   When will they announce the decision? Haven’t heard anything so I may need to ask to transfer to my school’s PhD program

9 minutes ago, Hjsakj said:

has anyone heard anything from Yale microbial epidemiology and Columbia’s epidemiology?   When will they announce the decision? Haven’t heard anything so I may need to ask to transfer to my school’s PhD program

Haven’t heard anything from Columbia yet either. I think Yale EMD will be sending out their decisions soon!

On 2/17/2024 at 1:23 AM, JustinDee said:

Did anyone who got accepted to UCLA get a funding letter or other notification? I only received the acceptance from the grad division letter in my portal. 

Hi~~ I also got accepted into UCLA epi phd. Have you received any update about funding since the acceptance? I didn't receive any info for that....

On 2/16/2024 at 8:17 PM, PhDPursuit said:

Who did you phrase it when you reached out to the PI after your interview? 

I emailed the PI after the committee screening interview, and I received my offer this Monday. Once you pass the screening process, it will ultimately depend on the PI's decision to work with you (cuz they gonna pay for ur stipend). If you have any questions, you may reach out to your PI directly I guess.

1 hour ago, Mamitis said:

Ok, JHU DrPH peeps. Sleep tight, and I wish you the best on tomorrow's possible decisions.

Much love and good will to ya'll.

I am dying. This is going to be a super stressful day, possibly weekend haha. 

Best of luck to y’all! 

Wishful thinking, perhaps, but does anyone know what time JHU will be releasing their decisions for the DrPH?

31 minutes ago, wurtzite said:

Wishful thinking, perhaps, but does anyone know what time JHU will be releasing their decisions for the DrPH?

I haven't heard yet either - but I applied last year and got my rejection on the 2nd. I know someone who was accepted last year and they heard early in the morning (central time) on the 1st. I'm wondering if this year because the 2nd is a Saturday they'll wait til next week to send out?

Edited by Ologyswan
Missing word

3 hours ago, Ologyswan said:

I haven't heard yet either - but I applied last year and got my rejection on the 2nd. I know someone who was accepted last year and they heard early in the morning (central time) on the 1st. I'm wondering if this year because the 2nd is a Saturday they'll wait til next week to send out?

Are they going to make us wait until monday?? I keep checking hourly lol. Ugh! Damn this leap year 😅

6 minutes ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Are they going to make us wait until monday?? I keep checking hourly lol. Ugh! Damn this leap year 😅

Quite possibly. 😭the website does say "early March."  so next week would be early March!

3 minutes ago, Maydayx said:

I’m pretty sure JHU is gonna make us wait til next week y’all. It just isn’t looking good. 

Hope everyone has a busy weekend planned to keep their minds off of it!

1 hour ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

6 minutes ago, _kita said:

Hope everyone has a busy weekend planned to keep their minds off of it!

Can't plan anything. Can't do anything. Does anybody know if they have a quota for students based on the different tracks? I think the Health Policy and Management concentrations get the maximum number of students. Last year they had around 600 applicants for all concentrations, and they chose around 120 total. so that's like a 20% acceptance rate? Good luck to everyone. I hope everyone on this thread gets in and we all get to be classmates.