PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

On 2/19/2024 at 1:54 PM, texaspublichealthgirl said:

No, they said early march is when they’ll send results. 

On 2/19/2024 at 1:29 PM, ggpublichealth said:

has anyone heard from Tulane's DrPH yet?

On 2/19/2024 at 7:00 PM, dinklebergPH said:

early march I heard around the week of march 4th. 

Alright. Welp. Tulane must be coming soon, no? Anyone want to give an update? I also was told early March, and here we are. :)

11 hours ago, Veera_DrPH said:

I can offer a descriptive account of my qualifications, though I don't know what swayed the admissions decision in my favor. I graduated from prestigious US public universities for undergrad (BS) and grad (MPH). My GPA for both was nothing spectacular (around 3.5). I have about 10 years of experience in applied research in healthcare management, with progressively increasing responsibilities. In that time, I've carved out a niche area of expertise in an emerging field and published 5 first author peer-reviewed articles. In my statement of purpose, I outlined in detail how the DrPH program will help me accelerate the impact of my work and contribution to the field. My letters of recommendation were from leaders in my organization who could speak to my leadership in and passion for the topic. I hope this helps! Wishing you all the best of luck!

10 hours ago, onelastshot said:

Congratulations on being accepted @dragonfly2024! You should be super proud- it's a massive achievement on top of all you have done. 

Aside from experience and passion....I think this is what (in my opinion) sets applicants apart- whether or not you went to a prestigious US school. Add into the mix an obligatory term at WHO or the UN and it ticks JHU boxes. I came to this conclusion looking at people admitted in the health security track (I have no idea about other areas) and reading their bios, which had a very similar formula (prestigious school/defence background + experience/leadership experience + affiliation with 'reputable' orgs UN/WHO/CDC). I came to realise as someone that was not educated in the US (not attending a prestigious US school), and as an international student (JHU stats show low international admissions, especially at a DrPH level), my chances were significantly reduced without some of those ticks. Plus, I come from a high-income country so don't tick the diversity quota in a way that is obvious. All of this really is the way things work in the world right now, from job hiring to university admissions. Without a GRE to filter people, I would guess that when 2 candidates meet the other criteria, looking at where they went to school is likely to be a decider. Interesting, as they lost the GRE due to criticisms on lack of equity and need to facilitate diversity.

On balance, going to well-known school and doing well demonstrates your academic ability and likelihood to succeed at JHU...so I understand why. Anyway, it is an amazing achievement for anyone that made it into the DrPH, and the bottom line is there are such limited spots in this program, so it must be hard making those decisions.

Personally, I am done with applying, especially being waitlisted for the second time. My mentor said to me today 'guess what they call the last Dr who graduates- Dr.' I hope everyone on here got something out of the application process and can find some inspiration to find an alternative way forward to achieve their professional goals.

I guess it's a complex process, and you can't ever be 100% certain about what will tilt the decision in your favor. I am an international Medical Graduate (International MD), who subsequently trained in medicine before moving on to public health and health administration. My MPH too was from an international school. My application was denied by schools such as SUNY Downstate and Mercer based on my educational qualifications being international. I agree with the notion of working at UN/CDC/WHO to make the application stronger. Maybe next cycle, I can somehow add that to my resume.

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I appreciate it. And good luck on your future journeys.

Anyone heard back from JHU PhD International Health? I interviewed in late January...

Tomorrow is Admitted Students Day...given that the DrPH decisions just came out this week, I am hoping that this Admitted Student Day is not for doctoral students?

5 hours ago, Mamitis said:

Alright. Welp. Tulane must be coming soon, no? Anyone want to give an update? I also was told early March, and here we are. :)

Received a rejection from Hopkins HE/SJ yesterday and an acceptance from Tulane DrPH today! What a whirlwind

Here are my results for all the schools I applied to:

UIC DrPH - accepted

GW DrPH - accepted

Tulane DrPH - accepted

UMD PhD - accepted

Hopkins DrPH- rejected

Edited by aDrPH

6 minutes ago, aDrPH said:

Received a rejection from Hopkins HE/SJ yesterday and an acceptance from Tulane DrPH today! What a whirlwind

UIC DrPH - accepted

GW DrPH - accepted

Tulane DrPH - accepted

UMD PhD - accepted

Hopkins DrPH- rejected

Just now, AltFax said:

I haven't heard anything from Tulane today yet...refresh refresh refresh the email...😭

I know, right? Anyone know what their rollout plan is?

9 minutes ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Fuqqqq same 😅

Same! I only applied to two schools this round (Tulane and GW online DrPH) and it's been crickets from both. If only I made money every time I refreshed my email...🤪

Edited by ARPH

I know GWU online could be a couple weeks. I had my interview today and I'm one of the very last ones; the admissions counselor (who is lovely) told me likely first week of April, MAYBE last week of March, for decisions. 

I only applied to GWU and Tulane. I was waitlisted at Hopkins in 2022 and decided not to apply this time around. Ooooof! 

11 minutes ago, AltFax said:

I know GWU online could be a couple weeks. I had my interview today and I'm one of the very last ones; the admissions counselor (who is lovely) told me likely first week of April, MAYBE last week of March, for decisions. 

I only applied to GWU and Tulane. I was waitlisted at Hopkins in 2022 and decided not to apply this time around. Ooooof! 

Oh, appreciate the info! I hope your interview went well. I interviewed back on January 26th and I could have sworn they told me early/mid-march.

1 hour ago, aDrPH said:

UIC DrPH - accepted

GW DrPH - accepted

Tulane DrPH - accepted

UMD PhD - accepted

Hopkins DrPH- rejected

Congratulations. These are all amazing schools.

A few updates to share

GW DrPH admitted students day will be March 23 and invitation was received as in campus admitted student. 

Columbia DrPH - rejected 😢

BU DrPH - interviewed but no update so far. So I emailed to school admission yesterday (because I felt devastated after I was waitlisted by JHU) about the admission timeline but no response yet. 

7 hours ago, Veera_DrPH said:

Anyone heard back from JHU's Bloomberg Fellows Program? It seems like MPH applicants are starting to get notified. Curious if DrPH applicants have heard anything yet?

Nothing yet. The application confirmation said we'd be notified of decisions in March 2024. I'm preparing myself to wait until the end of March.

9 hours ago, Mamitis said:

3 hours ago, AltFax said:

I haven't heard anything from Tulane today yet...refresh refresh refresh the email...😭

3 hours ago, Mamitis said:

I know, right? Anyone know what their rollout plan is?

3 hours ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Fuqqqq same 😅

3 hours ago, ARPH said:

Same! I only applied to two schools this round (Tulane and GW online DrPH) and it's been crickets from both. If only I made money every time I refreshed my email...🤪

3 hours ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

My last name starts with a W.. maybe I’m last in the pile hahaha

Re: Tulane DrPH — I was accepted today via email at 4:12 p.m. ET to check the Application Status Portal. I don't know if all decisions went out today (I haven't checked the results page), but when I was waitlisted last year, I remember the email came on a Friday (March 10, 2023).

9 hours ago, Squashplayer000 said:

I guess it's a complex process, and you can't ever be 100% certain about what will tilt the decision in your favor. I am an international Medical Graduate (International MD), who subsequently trained in medicine before moving on to public health and health administration. My MPH too was from an international school. My application was denied by schools such as SUNY Downstate and Mercer based on my educational qualifications being international. I agree with the notion of working at UN/CDC/WHO to make the application stronger. Maybe next cycle, I can somehow add that to my resume.

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I appreciate it. And good luck on your future journeys.

Please don't think that you need that! TBH, I think working at a community level implementing programs has much more value than an INGO that has hardly any in-country budget or much jurisdiction with national government. OpenWHO has a bunch of free short courses you can do if you want to add that to your professional development....but from your background, you might get so much more from doing a humanitarian stint- if you have the capacity for it. Best of luck with your endeavors :)