SSHRC 2011

transboundary

Did not win SSHRC despite having 4.15GPA, numerous publications in both peer reviewed and practicioner journals, numerous conference presentations, and two academic awards with significant financial support (almost $100K)...???? My score was below 14/30! I just don't get it.

is anyone else still waiting on confirmation that they accepted their award?

I received confirmation half an hour after my acceptance, StrangeLight.

I've been lurking here for awhile now, but the suspense is killing me too, so I thought I'd join in. It is my understanding that MA applicants don't have as much to worry about as Ph.D. applicants - it's more of a formality unless something goes wrong at the national level (i.e. residency, minimum GPA). That said, I am not going breath easy and consider my plans as certain until I get the letter. Good luck to everyone who has applied.

I called yesterday and they said that they will be sending the letters out "this week" but wouldn't give me a day. They said, expect to have received it by the end of next week, but I'm still hoping for sooner.

I've been lurking here for awhile now, but the suspense is killing me too, so I thought I'd join in. It is my understanding that MA applicants don't have as much to worry about as Ph.D. applicants - it's more of a formality unless something goes wrong at the national level (i.e. residency, minimum GPA). That said, I am not going breath easy and consider my plans as certain until I get the letter. Good luck to everyone who has applied.

I have also been lurking for awhile, and waiting...then lurking some more. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one still waiting for the results (I am also an MA applicant). Everyone's updates have been really helpful!

Oh my goodness. That is soon! Thanks for the info.

I called yesterday and they said that they will be sending the letters out "this week" but wouldn't give me a day. They said, expect to have received it by the end of next week, but I'm still hoping for sooner.

hi all,

just a small query as i wade through sshrc bureaucratic red tape: is it possible to change the start date of a cgs award? i foolishly chose a may start instead of a september one and may have messed up my summer ta-ship funding in the process. i haven't spoken with my school's hr department yet, but just wanted to know how difficult or if it's even possible to change the dates.

cheers!

hi all,

just a small query as i wade through sshrc bureaucratic red tape: is it possible to change the start date of a cgs award? i foolishly chose a may start instead of a september one and may have messed up my summer ta-ship funding in the process. i haven't spoken with my school's hr department yet, but just wanted to know how difficult or if it's even possible to change the dates.

cheers!

I made the opposite error and chose September instead of May (on an MA award). I emailed SSHRC and they responded that start dates can be changed once you receive official word that you've received the award. Hope this helps.

Just received word from the chair of my department that I got an MA SSHRC (I guess they have sent the lists out to schools, though it is still technically "unofficial' until SSHRC gives the final nod that results can be published on University websites, etc.). It seems very likely then that letters have been/are being mailed out this week, and should arrive soon.

Just received word from the chair of my department that I got an MA SSHRC (I guess they have sent the lists out to schools, though it is still technically "unofficial' until SSHRC gives the final nod that results can be published on University websites, etc.). It seems very likely then that letters have been/are being mailed out this week, and should arrive soon.

Congratulations! That's fantastic news. I'm just thankful that the wait is almost over.

Hi Groulxsome!

I will be starting at IHPST this fall as well! And I've also won a CGS award. When will you be making the jump to Toronto?

Best,

DS

Letters have arrived in St. John's, NL today. I received the 3-year CGS valued at $35K/annum!

My status:

I'm just finishing up my Masters of Philosophy in Humanities (M. Phil) at Memorial University with a 4.0/4.0 GPA. I had no publications and only one un-refereed conference presentation at the time of application. I think that's kind-of understandable considering that my undergrad was in (electrical) Engineering, so something would be wrong if I could switch and publish right away. I had two great supervisor's references (both in the philosophy department) and a very great reference from my head of department (humanities). I'm doing Science and Technology Studies (or History and Philosophy of Science and Technology, depending on your tastes) and I've been accepted to the Institute for the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology at the University of Toronto (who won a - virtual - coin toss over York's STS program). My program of study was dealing with changes in power system infrastructure in Canada in the Large Technical Systems research tradition - mostly related to history and technology policy. My score was 18.8 and I had a SSHRC for the second year of my Masters.

Sorry if that's TMI. I'm often curious what other's are researching and what kinds of program of study are getting funded this year. Hopefully it might help figure out where you stand. At the very least it might distract you from worrying for a few seconds.

Good luck all.

that's awesome, congrats! so glad you heard because that means the ball is actually rolling! hope we all hear results soon.

Just called my university and they said they had information about MA students applying to do their PhDs, but nothing as of yet for undergrad students applying to do their MAs. They recommended I called SSHRC directly, which I just did. I was told that the results for MA applicants would be mailed either tomorrow or Friday. Hope that helps to those of you still waiting! The anxiety is really getting to me :S

Would you happen to know if she found out from her university? If the last post is correct, that must be the case.

A friend of mine posted on facebook today that she received her MA sshrc grant. She is based in Toronto. Hope that helps those of you who are waiting with baited breath.

I also just got an e-mail from my grad office that I got the SSHRC-MA!!

Congratulations on those who've been successful so far, and good luck to those still waiting.

Edited by avsilver

Aaaargh!! I just called my grad office, and they said they haven't received the results yet. I was all nervous/excited, thinking they'd be there since a bunch of you folks have heard already!

Back to pacing by the mailbox...