SSHRC 2011

transboundary

I won SSHRC, but not OGS for my MA. Is this normal?

Me too! At first I was a little offended that OGS would waitlist me...but hey, it saves me the trouble of turning it down!

Hi~

Does any one know that if I can accept OGS (Ontario Graduate Scholarship) first and be still on the wait list for SSHRC? If I can do this, once I am awarded SSHRC, can I reject OGS without impact on my SSHRC funding?

Thank you very much

I won SSHRC, but not OGS for my MA. Is this normal?

I know several people who have experienced this. I think the answer is simple, really: SSHRC applications are generally due after OGS applications, and people tend to do a better job on the second.

Precisely my experience. I did not get FQRSC (Quebec version), but did get SSHRC, for this reason, although I am still trying to wait patiently for my letter!!

I know several people who have experienced this. I think the answer is simple, really: SSHRC applications are generally due after OGS applications, and people tend to do a better job on the second.

Yes, I received my letter in Toronto as well! I biked home on my lunch break and everything. Totally worth it.

OH! maybe i'll get mine today in Toronto. our mail used to arrive at 11am, but lately it's been arriving at 4pm

EDIT @ 1:49 pm: AHHHHHH i got the M.A. SSHRC yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My mail just came!

Edited by n31290

OH! maybe i'll get mine today in Toronto. our mail used to arrive at 11am, but lately it's been arriving at 4pm

EDIT @ 1:49 pm: AHHHHHH i got the M.A. SSHRC yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My mail just came!

Wow, they came out that fast?! I live in the middle of nowhere and my mail always comes like 3 days after everyone else :S

Does anyone know when the funds typically end up in your account? I won the doctoral award with a May 1 start date. I know it'll likely be a while, but it would be nice to know when to expect it!

Does anyone know when the funds typically end up in your account? I won the doctoral award with a May 1 start date. I know it'll likely be a while, but it would be nice to know when to expect it!

That's a really good question. I don't know how quick they are about getting the cash flow going for a May start, but I do know that awards are normally administered through your university. You should have had to fill out some activation forms. If you haven't done this, contact your FGS asap to get it going. If it does take a while, they will pay you retroactively. Your FGS should be able to tell you how long you're looking at.

Let us know how long it ends up taking to see an actual deposit (or cheque). This will be helpful for folks next year too.

Congrats, btw!

Thanks lemonpepper. I submitted my activation forms literally the day I got the letter in the mail (haha), which I believe was April 29th. I'll definitely give an update of when I start seeing the funds if that's valuable information for next year.

I've been lurking here for a bit (I didn't know about the forums until recently), but I too came home to a MA SSHRC yesterday! So excited! I was the first ever A candidate at my school (this was the first year we had an allotment, instead of applying directly to SSHRC), and it worked out!

That's going to make living in Toronto a heck of a lot easier. Here I come, York!

Hi~

Does any one know that if I can accept OGS (Ontario Graduate Scholarship) first and be still on the wait list for SSHRC? If I can do this, once I am awarded SSHRC, can I reject OGS without impact on my SSHRC funding?

Thank you very much

Hi folks,

Seconding this question. I received an OGS, and was waitlisted for SSHRC. While I'm grateful to be funded at all, I'm definitely holding out hope for a last-minute SSHRC. Does accepting OGS take me off the SSHRC waiting list?

Thanks!

I'm in Kingston, Ontario, and I just got my SSHRC MA letter today. I didn't get the scholarship, which I'm actually fine with. Carleton has offered me several scholarships, and they've been very gracious in changing their offer to me several times so that it lines up with the requirements of the military program that I will be studying under. Even if I had gotten the SSHRC, the fact that it took them so long to send a response was not cool, even when I told them I needed to know asap because of timings and such in my military chain of command. Thus, I probably would have had no choice but to turn it down anyway. I know everyone wanted to know as soon as possible, but when posting messages, etc are on the line, waiting too long means losing out entirely. So, I'll still be off to Carleton, and good luck to all those who applied for the SSHRC, whether you got it or didn't. :)

Does anyone know where I can find the Payment Activation Form 1, Part 1 and Part 2, that is mentioned in the letter? Do I need to obtain that from my institution, or can I find it elsewhere? I didn't receive these forms in the envelope SSHRC mailed to me.

They are on the SSHRC website. I 'searched' "Award Holders Guide A" and there is a tab for forms.

Dave_WLU is more helpful than I am. :)

Edited by Philosograd

Does anyone know where I can find the Payment Activation Form 1, Part 1 and Part 2, that is mentioned in the letter? Do I need to obtain that from my institution, or can I find it elsewhere? I didn't receive these forms in the envelope SSHRC mailed to me.

Activation forms are in the Award Holder's Guide under forms, but to make your life easy:

http://www.sshrc-crs...laires-eng.aspx

Edit: Philosograd is a bit quicker on the take than I am.

Edited by Dave_WLU

The wait is over! I've received official word of being awarded an MA CGS. I'm in the greater Vancouver area. Good luck to those of you still waiting, and congratulations to those who've had acceptances! I'm too excited to type....

Congrats!! Sorry but to clarify did you get a letter from SSHRC or did you hear from your department?

The wait is over! I've received official word of being awarded an MA CGS. I'm in the greater Vancouver area. Good luck to those of you still waiting, and congratulations to those who've had acceptances! I'm too excited to type....

I'm in the greater van area too and I heard today as well (letter from SSHRC). yay!

side note: for those who commented earlier, was anyone able to successfully change the start date of their award once they received the letter?

Edited by JerriBlank

I received notice of my SSHRC award for my MA yesterday too. I will be declining it though, so I just wanted to let waitlisted users know that there's at least one place empty now. ;)

Good luck to everyone.