Do universities contact our recommenders?

speed

I know that this happens in my field. The large conference in my discipline is in late January every year, so it is the ideal format for side conversations about applicants. I know that my master's advisor, X, discussed my applications with several of the faculty to whom I had applied (X knew them already, though) at the conference last year. And when I sent out "feeler" emails, it wasn't uncommon for faculty to put in their reply a note to "tell X I say hi"--even when I didn't mention X.

Edited by repatriate

I know that this happens in my field. The large conference in my discipline is in late January every year, so it is the ideal format for side conversations about applicants. I know that my master's advisor, X, discussed my applications with several of the faculty to whom I had applied (X knew them already, though) at the conference last year. And when I sent out "feeler" emails, it wasn't uncommon for faculty to put in their reply a note to "tell X I say hi"--even when I didn't mention X.

this is indeed a terrific idea. i'll be attending a huge conference in my field in mid january, and i know for sure that few of the many faculty i wish to work with will be there. it'd be ultra to make my advisor grease up my app credentials and slip it into the minds of those faculty.

This happens, particularly if someone is interested in you and knows someone you've worked with. Not just the references you give them, either. Last year my boss got a phone call from his friend at My Top Choice U...which took him by surprise, because he didn't know I was applying. (Oops. And no, I didn't get in. But I didn't get fired!)

...Does that mean it is very very unlikely that universities will contact professors from other countries - non-English-speaking countries, I mean?

Not necessarily - I have profs that regularly attend out of country conferences, and have a great deal of overseas contacts. And the opposite is possible as well - that overseas professors attend US conferences. Less likely perhaps, but not necessarily very unlikely. Also because of it being non-English, and needing to verify information and crossover calculations bc of any possible unfamiliarity- it might be possible that they would contact the institution.

Just to echo what others have been saying: About two months ago I went to go see one of my LOR writers about something. Then randomly, he informs me that he was at some sort of event that past weekend, and a professor that I'm applying to work with was there. He straight up told me that they talked about me (and even gave me a hint of a juicy detail!). So yes, individual professors will talk to other professors, especially if they know each other (this is a guarantee in my field).

• 2 weeks later...

Just to echo what others have been saying: About two months ago I went to go see one of my LOR writers about something. Then randomly, he informs me that he was at some sort of event that past weekend, and a professor that I'm applying to work with was there. He straight up told me that they talked about me (and even gave me a hint of a juicy detail!). So yes, individual professors will talk to other professors, especially if they know each other (this is a guarantee in my field).

I've had that very same thing happen with two of my mentor/referees and I am in a Humanities field.

• 3 weeks later...

When I went around investigating rotation possibilities this past semester, one of the profs I talked to actually contacted my LOR writer (my ex-boss). I thought that was a little strange, given I already matriculated. I don't know if other profs sent emails to my LOR writers or not....